Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuous shutter speeds and f-stops  (Read 1109 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Continuous shutter speeds and f-stops
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:20:12 am »

This question is nothing more than idle curiosity. Camera exposure has been managed electronically for a while now and started before the digital conversion. Yet, we still use the same set of shutter speeds and f-stops that we always did, except that 1/3 stop increments are now commonplace, whereas 1/2 stop increments used to be. I am curious why there hasn't been a model that boasted continuous shutter speed or f-stop selection, say 1/164.56 of a second at f4.768. (Or maybe someone did try this and I just happen not to know about it.)

I am not saying I want this, or would even know how useful it would be, but the manufacturers pile on all sorts of features that are rarely used, I am just surprised no one has tried this. As a user, I can see the confusing choice it would present, so maybe consumer non-acceptance might rank high. Has there ever been something like test-marketed of "focus-grouped", I wonder?

I know that the shutter speeds on older non-electronically controlled film cameras were nominal speeds, the actual shutter speed was not what the dial said. I assume they're better now. Cynically, I've often wondered if the now common 1/3 stop increment is even within performance specs of a lot of cameras.
--
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up