Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy paper in Toronto?  (Read 14232 times)

myc5

Where to buy paper in Toronto?
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »

Anyone know where to buy paper in Toronto other than Vistek or Henrys? There's gotta be some other places.

How about online website, but canadian.

ippolitois

Re: Where to buy paper in Toronto?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:26:15 pm »

http://www.ccbc-club.com/

Try this place.

Paul

mikev1

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:42 am »

Don't discout http://www.bhphotovideo.com/  Depending on what you are looking for it may end up being cheaper buying from them.  The shipping deal they have with Purolator now is awesome.  Even before it was worth it for me to buy a few 44" rolls of Hahnemuhle stuff from them, pay the crazy UPS fees than to buy from Vistek.

The other option is to go to a website like www.shopbot.ca search by the manufacturer number for the product you are looking for and go from there.

Or try www.ca.buy.com again use the manufacturer number as you will never find it otherwise.  Usually Vistek has the the manufacturer number listed on their prouct pages.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:01:49 am »

There is a place just North of the old Lu-La Gallery on Carlaw whose prices I have always found to be excellent. They carry Epson & Hahnemuhle

Tricera Imaging

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »

CCBC and Tricera are roughly competitive, but they carry some different lines so it is worth checking both. I've never seen any advantage after shipping and brokerage importing paper from B&H. Unlike Tricera, prices at CCBC go down over time the more you buy. They keep track of your cumulated expenditures with them and as your category increases you get incremental discounts. Moderate but useful - it adds-up. Vistek is actually quite competitive on Canson papers - the prices have come down a lot since they were first introduced, and stock seems to be good any time I've looked it up. Unfortunately, the distribution arrangement for Ilford in Canada leaves something to be desired and there are spotty stocking problems for certain of their products. When buying paper, it's not only price, but availability which we need to take into account.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:38:00 am »

Tricera has no prices on its website?  And closed on Saturdays? 

Vistek has about the broadest selection in the city.  Their inventory is the problem.  They're often out of things (not just paper) and their inventory tracking system is basically manual.  If something shows as in stock on the computer and isn't on the store shelf, they still have to call the warehouse and have someone manually verify it's actually there.  And that can take more time than it should because I've been told that products aren't labelled in the warehouse so the workers have to look through however many different packages to try to find something.  If they stumble upon it quickly you'll get a quick response.  If they don't........ you'll wait for a while.  Further, if an online order is placed, the item won't be removed from the computer inventory when the order is placed but when it actually ships so you'll sometimes get buggered because something that shows as in stock is actually on hold to be shipped for an online or telephone order.  It can be frustrating.

There's Downtown Camera but they're not overly good. 

Ordering paper from the U.S. rarely makes sense because it's just not expensive enough and the price differentials aren't high enough as Mark points out.  When something is on sale for a really good price, then it can make a difference (i.e., prices a few months ago on Exhibition Fiber definitely made it worthwhile).  Or if you're ordering in significant enough volume it can be worthwhile.

Aristoc

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:31 am »

Let's debate who carries papers and where to buy them !

Vistek currently has a sale on EPson paper. BUy 3 and get one additional one free. It's only advertised on the store shelf. If it's not on the shelf, they get for you from the warehouse. Im talking Toronto, there are other Visteks you know!

Henry's has limited selection and likes selling their 'henry's' brand. who really makes it ?

Downtown camera is nice but not for paper. I saw their shelf stock. Very very very old.

B&H. Best price even with shipping and handling to CDN. Not for all papers though. So check it first. For Ilford Gold Fibre silk, the price is significantly cheaper through B&H as compared to Vistek. Most worth it to buy at B&H. I did a price check and it would cost me $40 more to buy at Vistek. Forget it. That is what I call gauging! On the other hand, it's not worth it for EEF for example. Just double check to see what papers are cheaper and compare. I did. Hahanemuhle, is also cheaper at B&H , shipped etc etc from B&H.

Sometimes Epson send an email for specials such as buy one get another for free just recently. I got glossy and semi gloss. The art paper was not on sale though.

Canson has a very very cheap rebate on. Mail in to the USA for $5. Barely worth it.

I have never seen Hahnemuhle in sale.

Oh, Vistek does sometimes have a warehouse sale. That's where you get buy one get one free. I think Hahnemuyle was on sale at that time, but only certain stock.
Just keep checking and buy when the sale is on, it happens frequently so stock up a bit. you can always get a better deal some time.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:27:29 am by Aristoc »

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:37 am »

Just because you don't happen to agree with somoene, Peter doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

Something being currently on sale is nice but that's not really an indication of breadth of product and continuing availability. 

Aristoc

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:55 am »

Luckily, we can edit  ;D

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

I can buy paper directly from Amplis photo, but that's because I have a business running giclee prints for photographers. If you have a business registered you might be able to buy from them too. Be warned, customer service is not their strong suit.

They carry Breathing Color, Hahnemuhle and Ilford.

Carey Ridd

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »

Also interested in where to get ink at a good price.

Carey

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:15 pm »

Also interested in where to get ink at a good price.

Carey

CCBC - again, you get the cumulative discount the more you buy there.

myc5

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:32:33 pm »

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I found and someone mentioned it also, Epson Canada has a Signature Worthy paper promo happening til end of March. Buy 3 boxes from the list and get the least expensive one back as a rebate. Seems to be only the new papers though.  Still not a bad deal.

Inanda Images

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:54 pm »

I am a big fan of Tricera, they can drop ship out of Vancouver and I can pick it up at the airport that afternoon. Since I am far from the mainstream I am a huge fan of customer service, Tricera has it in spades in my experience. I also buy from Amplis but as mentioned earlier customer service is not their strong suite but they are the dealer for Ilford in Canada. You need to be very specific with them or a back order can be costly, eg $140 for a roll of Galerie Gold but add on a hundred bucks for shipping it gets expensive. They are also the Canadian distributor for Breathing Color so you need to go to them for those materials. If you are looking for another distributor for Stick & Stretch and Stick & Stretch Pro All Graphic Supplies out of Calgary also carried that in Canada.   Vistek I find is the same as Amplis, outside sales and poor customer service, I purchased my 9880 from them before I knew better. Hope this helps.

Mark Prins
Inanda Images
Whitehorse YT

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:43 pm »

I can buy paper directly from Amplis photo, but that's because I have a business running giclee prints for photographers. If you have a business registered you might be able to buy from them too. Be warned, customer service is not their strong suit.

They carry Breathing Color, Hahnemuhle and Ilford.

Yes, and it is unfortunate that Ilford has given them an exclusive distributorship, because their stocking practices leave something to be desired.

Aristoc

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

PRICE CHECK:

Ilford Gold Fiber Silk  8.5 X 11  50 sheets

B&H including shipping, all taxes, duties and handling = $48.77

Vistek     including all taxes = $71

Amplis     including all taxes = $74

Where are you going to buy from ?   To the OP..don't buy from Toronto.

Gemmtech

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »

"Where are you going to buy from ?"

I just know somebody is going to say "I want to support Canadian business"   ;D

Aristoc

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:06 pm »

Yes lets support the limited Canadian market gougers !  Don't forget, they are buying this stuff from the states too.

So long as the dollar is equal to US dollar, it's worth buying in the US.

I totally support Canadian business. I buy from my food local farmers markets. But buying from photography stores so that they can continue to make a great big profit ?  NOT. Welcome to free market economy and competition ..finally.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

PRICE CHECK:

Ilford Gold Fiber Silk  8.5 X 11  50 sheets

B&H including shipping, all taxes, duties and handling = $48.77

Vistek     including all taxes = $71

Amplis     including all taxes = $74

Where are you going to buy from ?   To the OP..don't buy from Toronto.

That's a sample of one. Interestingly enough, you can't generalize because the equation keeps changing. Do the same thing for 13*19, or for a role of 17"*40'. Or compare Canson Bartya Photographique at Vistek with Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (so similar you'd almost think they are made in the same plant, but they aren't) at Vistek compared with CCBC, compared with B&H and you'll get differing comparative outcomes.

Another factor you need to keep in mind with paper is shipping risk. As soon as a box of paper gets bumped at the corner it's worthless and needs to be returned - a real nuisance. Buy it personally in situ and you can check for damage before you leave the shop.

We do need to be aware that volume in the Canadian market is a fraction of that in the US market; however, I'm not one to argue this justifies a huge margin of price difference, but it may well justify some, unless the manufacturers cross-subsidize the distributors for the comparatively higher per unit cost of doing business here.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

Oh - I forgot - that 50 sheet pack of 8.5*11 Gold Fibre Silk you checked is $47.91 at CCBC right here in downtown Toronto. After HST it's about six dollars more than the landed tax paid B&H price - only if you ship with Purolator - and less of a difference once you've accumulated discount privileges there.

And if you are going to make sensible comparisons, it's better to be realistic - would you really ship only one box of paper from B&H? Buying more saves shipping per box. If I were doing it, which I wouldn't at these differentials, I'd buy at least enough boxes till shipping per box is at a minimum; and since my passport once disappeared for a couple of days from Purolator's tracking system, I'd probably opt for UPS or FedEx.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up