Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating Second (Non NEC) Monitor using Spectra View i1 puck & CEDP  (Read 2673 times)

BruceGordon

• http://

I bought a NEC P221W-BK a few months ago with the SpectraView package.

I love the monitor but now want more real estate.  I'm running XP Pro SP3 with a Diamond PCI-Ex16 Video Card with a ATI 5760 Chipset.  I've got the P221W on the HDMI port via a DVI-D dongle and a 17" 4x3  Viewsonic VP171b connected to the DVI-D port (this is the primary port, in this manner the task bar is on the little monitor).  I'm using the little monitor for brushes, palletes etc in CS4 and the NEC is for the images.  SpectraView is working (once I reassigned the monitor) but I would like to get the little monitor a little closer in White Balance & Luminance to the NEC.  I understand that I can't use SV to calibrate but I do own CEDP.

1.  I've read conflicting posts about using the NEC branded i1D2 puck with other monitors as it is calibrated for wide-gamut monitors and may have a filter.  Can I use it?

2.  CEDP will adjust the LUT on the video card - will this mess with the data path to the NEC (I understand that SV adjusts the LUTs in the monitor itself)?

BruceGordon

• http://
Re: Calibrating Second (Non NEC) Monitor using Spectra View i1 puck & CEDP
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:30:40 am »

And the answer is yes - Reinstalled CEDP, it recognized the i1D2.  Let me select which monitor to profile then I ran the second monitor with the same settings I'm using on the P221 (D50, 100nit ...).  It came out with an average dE of .45 and a max of 1.54.  Not too bad for a inexpensive monitor.

The proof, however, is in the visual results.  Though I won't use the monitor for Soft Proofing (I will probably turn it off then) it is much closer visually and the colour shift is almost gone.  The main difference is the P221W's colours are visually more saturated but I suspect this is due to it's wider gamut.

howardm

Re: Calibrating Second (Non NEC) Monitor using Spectra View i1 puck & CEDP
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:39 am »

I think any error that would should up would appear as a mis-read of white point, not any sort of dE error

a really nice gamut test image is Bill Atkinson's 'twenty-eight balls' image which is a bunch of synthetic gradients.
Pages: [1]   Go Up