Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Face of Tomorrow  (Read 2828 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Face of Tomorrow
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »

The Face of Tomorrow is a "new digital art project with a techie bent has sought to discover the effects of globalisation on identity by taking 100 photographs of people in cities around the world and combining them using a computer to make a single average face for each city".

I thought it would be interesting to other photographers, the website can be found here:

http://www.faceoftomorrow.com/home.asp

Cheers,
Tom Brown

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Face of Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:53:30 am »

Thanks for sharing the link!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:58:15 am »

The Face of Tomorrow is a "new digital art project with a techie bent has sought to discover the effects of globalisation on identity by taking 100 photographs of people in cities around the world and combining them using a computer to make a single average face for each city".

I thought it would be interesting to other photographers, the website can be found here:

http://www.faceoftomorrow.com/home.asp

Cheers,

That's sure to win an art competition somewhere: a perfectly useless idea wrapped in much verbal candyfloss!

Rob C

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:29 am »

There is also this, based on the same method, doing the rounds

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7905/womansfaceacrosstheworl.jpg

What's really interesting is how much "better" the average face looks than the individual ones...

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:56 am »

Alas there is nothing new in any of this. I remember reading of a project undertaken at least 30 years ago where a student took photos of his colleagues and projected them on to each other according to their cultural and geographical origin. The differences between Welsh, Scottish and English students were quite distinct and did in fact conform to the stereotypes. Again the 'average' face was indeed very attractive but that is hardly surprising given that we are conditioned to respond to what is most 'normal' (or not abnormal) and so an average face is likely to to represent the mean of the proportions found in human faces. This could of course be expressed another way by pointing out that beautiful people are in fact very average!  ;)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »

In the mid-sixties onward I was a breeder, trainer and exhibitor of Morgan horses...it was always amazing to me and then subsequently watched intently by me how the body language and demeanor of a student would affect the horse on which I had chosen to mount them...also at end of day , late dusk, as I would call in mares and their foals from distant pastures I would intentionally reshape my body profile in the falling light and marvel at how quickly they became tuned to the presence of danger...series dreams of similar self shaping have been part of my life lately, which I only then recognize by light of day as going back to those times in my life..

My reaction to these one hundred face projects is similar...a momentary wandering around in how detached we have become from the rising of hairs on the back of our neck and inability to see the world in anything but the most commercially promoted screen view...and want so much more for my grandchildren...but the genie is out of the bottle I guess and Pandora's box lies open...
A common woman~

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:48:42 pm »

and inability to see the world in anything but the most commercially promoted screen view...

And how!

Photography perfectly illustrates this idea. We are constantly urged to have the most heavily featured camera, the biggest lens, latest software etc as the notion of it as a practised craft gently recedes into the realm of memory and long forgotten skill. Instead it is the application of digital knowledge that is revered above all else, computing ability and IT savvy that is meant to attract our respect and fawning attention. Consumption of the new is demanded by the corporations and we duly fall into line like the blind fools that we are and then we wonder at why so few outside of our passion still care for photography as an art or method of communication. The soul has been sold to Megacamera Corp and Humongoussoftware inc and they have quietly binned such an ill defined concept in the interests profit and growth.

Pages: [1]   Go Up