Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iHockney- Artist David Hockney and his iPhone (and the death of printing?)  (Read 7079 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: iHockney- Artist David Hockney and his iPhone (and the death of printing?)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 02:01:23 pm »

he was also the guy who amplified this controversy about Vermeer's use of the Camera Lucida device in the 17th century to "trace" his interiors. He was in a heated battle with the head of the Met in NY about that. Hockney said, just look at the highlights in those paintings, and he's right. I'm sure Ernst has an opinion about that.....

john

Of course :-) In short: I say plausible. I say B.S. for the following myth:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Worlds_first_photo_an_unknown_Da_Vinci_news_289849.html

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

deanwork

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:12 pm »

Yep, that is going a tad too far...though Leonardo of course was fascinated by the idea of photography, and if he had lived another 20 years he might have invented (discovered?) it.

j

artobest

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 08:59:50 am »

At Hockney's Saltaire mill complex just outside of Bradford, UK, the walls of the cafe are decorated with oversized photographic laser prints he made back in the (I think) 1980s. Needless to say, they look terrible (although the photos themselves aren't bad at all). Interesting as both a technological cul-de-sac, and an example of how Hockney's instinct is always to seek out the limits of the available technologies.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up