Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving subdirectories inside lightroom  (Read 7450 times)

headmj

Moving subdirectories inside lightroom
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »

I have searched the books I own, the LR tutorial I bought here and on-line.  I have not found an answer.  Adobe's documentation is always poor but they really have set a new low with the LR docs.  They clearly could use a good technical writer.

I have several subdirectories in LR on my C drive.  I want to move the entire subdirectory structure to an external drive labeled F.  I can see no way to use the library panel to do this.  Seems like a major oversight considering that any moves made outside LR will not be recognized by LR.

Is there way to do this?  Lacking a drag and drop method, the only way I see this happening is moving the the files in explorer and then reconnecting the top directory.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Moving subdirectories inside lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »

Right click a folder, and choose Add Parent Folder. Then move it.  Promote Subfolders hides the parent.

If the F drive isn't visible, click Add Folder - the little plus in the Folders panel's header.

John

headmj

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

Thanks John.  Are these instructions for Apple.  I don't see any thing like that when I follow your instructions.

Mike

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:31:44 pm »

Control + click on Mac is right click on Windows...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:27 pm »

They were for Windows as I thought that was what you meant by C and F. Which are you using?

Maybe I could rephrase, in LR's folders panel, right click a folder and choose ...

John

headmj

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

Yes it is Windows.  Once I had the proper parent folder on the external drive I was able to drag and drop the the subdirectories into it.   Thanks for your help.

Mike

clayd79

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

Hello Jeff or anyone else is this the preferred method of moving lets say a whole directory of images from location to another. Also how would you go about moving from one external hdd to another bigger one.

Thanks

Clavel

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:16 am »

Yes, always move directories from within Lightroom and this is the best way.  To move from one drive to the other, you use the same technique.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

howardm

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:24 am »

For moving to a larger disk, another way is to setup the new disk, copy everything over (keeping the same subfolder structure!!!!) and when LR 'loses' it (ie. lots of ????? marks), simply right click and point it to the new drive and let LR resolve it.

Almost always several ways to solve a specific problem.

Hello Jeff or anyone else is this the preferred method of moving lets say a whole directory of images from location to another. Also how would you go about moving from one external hdd to another bigger one.

Thanks

Clavel

clayd79

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 09:43:44 am »

Thanks Mike and Howard... BTW Howard is it possible to setup new disk with same name as old disk and then sort of trick LR into thinking it's the same hdd?

Clavel

howardm

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

You can temporarily give it a name and then when the move is finished, rename the original small disk and then rename the new disk to the old name.  You can't simultaneously have 2 disks w/ the same name.

Thanks Mike and Howard... BTW Howard is it possible to setup new disk with same name as old disk and then sort of trick LR into thinking it's the same hdd?

Clavel

clayd79

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply

You can temporarily give it a name and then when the move is finished, rename the original small disk and then rename the new disk to the old name.  You can't simultaneously have 2 disks w/ the same name.

Pages: [1]   Go Up