Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: better format to save to than .jpg?  (Read 8666 times)

mbalensiefer

better format to save to than .jpg?
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:21:47 am »

I reedit my images over time.
 Having held them in .jpg (at a Photoshop quality setting of 9); after two saves in smaller files one can notice the difference.
 I have been saving my smallest images in PNG format hoping to save them from undue artifacting...but even this is "two" damaging procedures (one save from .jpeg into PNG , then later from PNG back to .jpeg), as eventually I will export my images into the Web.

Is anyone saving their files in a different format?

Thank you!
Michael

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: better format to save to than .jpg?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:11 am »

Having held them in .jpg (at a Photoshop quality setting of 9); after two saves in smaller files one can notice the difference.
 I have been saving my smallest images in PNG format hoping to save them from undue artifacting...but even this is "two" damaging procedures (one save from .jpeg into PNG , then later from PNG back to .jpeg), as eventually I will export my images into the Web.

Thank you!
Michael
TIFF.

Jeremy

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:23 am »

Is Tiff better in any way than PNG, however?
 Web professionals seem to use PNG for ads, etc...but shy away from .tiff.

I did an experiment, saving my old .jpeg into both a Tiff and a PNG.
TYPE             FILESIZE
original jpg =      552k
tiff saved as jpg option (?) = 604k
tiff =               10.7m
png interlaced = 4.7m
png =               3.54m

as a side note, saving a file into PNG takes a looong time in Photoshop, without fail. Even if I start from a PNG and then save o a PNG. Saving in Tif, a larger file format, is quite fast. I wonder why this is.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:04 am »

Shoot in RAW. Edit in 16-bit. Archive your finished work as 16-bit TIFF but keep the RAWs as well. If you need to re-edit, go back to the RAW.

At this moment in time, there are no better options, IMO.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

mbalensiefer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:59:00 am »

Hello.
 I am saving my jpegs at a bit depth of 24.
Why would I want the Tiff file format over PNG, however, when Tiff is three times the size?
Also, why would I want to save at a bit depth of below 24--and, concerning this, where in Photoshop can I change this option? Native Photoshop "saves" of Tiff files appear to be 24 bits.

Thank you for all your input!
Michael

sniper

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:15:32 am »

tiff is 16 bit per channel, jpeg is only 8 bit per channel (24 bit total)

sojournerphoto

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:03 am »

Tiff can be saved as 8 or 16 bits per channel (i.e. 24 bit or 48 bit rgb files). I think the standard also allows saving of 32 bit per channel files, but am not sure.

You want to save as TIFF because it is a lossless format - i.e. you can open and resave without any loss of data. Data losses occur when the jpeg algorithm compresses the data file into a smaller space at each save. As the compression uses a lossy algorithm more information is lost at each save until the losses become visible. The losses are irrecoverable.

Shoot raw, process into tiffs for prints/archive (don't delete the raws) and use jpgs for final web display.

Best

Mike

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

Hello.
 I am saving my jpegs at a bit depth of 24.
Why would I want the Tiff file format over PNG, however, when Tiff is three times the size?
Also, why would I want to save at a bit depth of below 24--and, concerning this, where in Photoshop can I change this option? Native Photoshop "saves" of Tiff files appear to be 24 bits.

Thank you for all your input!
Michael

As previous poster said, 24 bit depth is 8 bits per channel. 16 bit per channel would be 48 bit depth

Why Tiff instead of PNG? Because PNG is not fully supported by Adobe applications and other digital imaging software.

Lightroom does not handle PNG. Photoshop (at least up to version CS3) will let you save PNG, but it will flatten your file, so you cannot save a multilayered or multichannel file.

The only drawback of tiff is file size, but as storage space becomes cheaper, is not a big deal

The increased time it takes to store a PNG is due to the extra processing it requires.

To change from 8 bits to 16 bits (per channel) or viceversa, in Photoshop go to Image> Mode> 8bits (or 16 bits).

A final note, quality can be reduced but not increased. If you start with a 8bit JPeg, you gain nothing converting to 16bit Tiff. It is only when you start with a Raw file or a 16 bit Tiff that it makes sense to stay 16bit tiff

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:30:38 pm »

Why is your jpeg so small at 552kb?  You have been throwing away a ton of data.
John Smith covers it all. Shoot raw and save to tiff.
Jpegs have their place. I would say anything that you never plan on printing could be shot in Jpeg.
If your printing shoot in raw.
If you keep shooting jpeg's at least keep them full size.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:20:33 am by Dan Berg »

Peter_DL

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:46 pm »

Having held them in .jpg ...

You could metadata-edit the original JPGs via Bridge + ACR (as well).
So it is still the unaltered image data, although it does not seem to be possible to have the settings in an extra xmp sidecar e.g. when the JPG is locked.
Anyway, for any Save out, I'd recommend to create a separate file.

Peter

--
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:42:17 pm by Peter_DL »

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:33:25 pm »

Thank you!
Michael

Buy more storage (it's cheap these days) and save your JPG files as TIFF or shoot in RAW.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:23 am »

If you are editing your files in PS, I would encourage the use of layers: keep the original image as the bottom layer, and then add editions as adjustment layers or masked layers; then, always save this file using PS's native format. This way, you can reopen that file later and tweak your modifications, no need to redo all the editing again.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:51:34 am »

A final note, quality can be reduced but not increased. If you start with a 8bit JPeg, you gain nothing converting to 16bit Tiff. It is only when you start with a Raw file or a 16 bit Tiff that it makes sense to stay 16bit tiff
The first sentence is, obviously, correct. The second and third aren't, for reasons which have been discussed in another thread (whose location esacpes me at the moment).

If you perform editing actions which require interpolation of any kind, you will benefit from performing the edit in 16-bit space even if you start from an 8-bit file as the rounding errors will be reduced.

Jeremy

sniper

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:22 am »

The first sentence is, obviously, correct. The second and third aren't, for reasons which have been discussed in another thread (whose location esacpes me at the moment).

If you perform editing actions which require interpolation of any kind, you will benefit from performing the edit in 16-bit space even if you start from an 8-bit file as the rounding errors will be reduced.

Jeremy
I think this is the one your refering too Jeremy?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=50081.0

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:14 am »

Jeremy

Ok, I agree with your observation. Anyway, probably "quality" is a broad term. You could benefit from editing in 16 bits an original 8 bit file to avoid banding, like it was shown in the referred thread, but you would not increase effective bit depth (also mentioned in that thread).

Additionally, any details that you could have lost when generating the original jpeg are irrecoverable.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

Shoot in RAW. Edit in 16-bit. Archive your finished work as 16-bit TIFF but keep the RAWs as well. If you need to re-edit, go back to the RAW.

At this moment in time, there are no better options, IMO.
Yes there is one : shoot in raw and use Lightroom not to fuss with obese tiff files... ;)
Works with jpegs as well (even if it is not the best place to start).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

mbalensiefer

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 04:53:40 am »

I have the option in Photoshop, when saving in Tiff, to save as Tiff in four different file types.
(none, lzw, zip, and .jpeg).

My Tiff (saved as .jpeg) save is 63% the size of my Tiff file (normal).

I take it that this Tiff is actually a jpeg file?

Also; if I DO save my work in layers...is it better to save in Tiff or PSD?
:O

Michael

mbalensiefer

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:29 am »

Hi! Is it better to save layered work in Tiff or PSD?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:52 am »

Hi! Is it better to save layered work in Tiff or PSD?
I think conventional wisdom would now say TIFF, as it's not proprietary and holds all necessary information.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:11:08 am by kikashi »

franta

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »

As far as I understand it, the Tiff format is a "container" for the actual image data. The container holds metadata about the image, the image itself can be stored in many (any?) formats, including jpeg. A Tiff containing a jpg has the same characteristics regarding lossy compression etc. as a "naked" jpg.

I have the option in Photoshop, when saving in Tiff, to save as Tiff in four different file types.
(none, lzw, zip, and .jpeg).

My Tiff (saved as .jpeg) save is 63% the size of my Tiff file (normal).

I take it that this Tiff is actually a jpeg file?

Also; if I DO save my work in layers...is it better to save in Tiff or PSD?
:O

Michael
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up