Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shades and Shadows  (Read 6031 times)

Ray

Shades and Shadows
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:09 am »

I like this latest image from Michael. I like that small face appearing out of the dark, in the background.

But this woman (she appears to be a woman, but I could be wrong) kneeling on the floor in the bottom right corner. What's all that about? Why is she kneeling? Is this some ancient ritual?

Has she done something wrong? Is she in some sort of trouble? Just wondered  ;D .

viewfinder

Re: Shades and Shadows
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:14:41 am »

No, it's not a woman, it's a child......

As usual, another very powerful and well observed image apparently expertly composed and shot in an instant of realisation........

Personally, I find this image to be utterly chilling in it's questions,...the juvenile supplicant, dressed seemingly for sacrifice,.....the dark critical scrutiny of the priest,.......the sympathetic but resigned expression of the young inmate.....    All makes for an atmosphere of dread and loathing to me.   Just looking at this image one can't offer any help or compassion,.....I can't rescue this child before the darkeness inside the door takes her.

A graphic and meaningful comment on the catholic church and it's treatment of the young.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:25:56 am by viewfinder »

seamus finn

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:22 am »

This seems to be a young girl going into a Catholic church to receive her First Communion or Confirmation (hence the elaborate dress compared to the everyday attire of the boy inside). The man is a priest who may be about to sprinkle the girl with holy water which is carried in the vessel in his hands. Or he may be simply exiting the church as the girl goes in.

Holy water is kept in a font usually to be found at the entrance to the church. Catholics dip their fingers in the water and make the sign of the cross when entering the church. Holy water may be sprinkled on the congregation -  aspersion, from the Latin, asperges ("to sprinkle"). This ceremony dates back to the 9th century. An aspergill or aspergillum is a brush or branch used to sprinkle the water and an aspersorium is the vessel which holds the holy water and into which the aspergillum is dipped.

No human sacrifice involved!

Ray

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:49 am »

As usual, another very powerful and well observed image apparently expertly composed and shot in an instant of realisation........

Personally, I find this image to be utterly chilling in it's questions,...the juvenile supplicant, dressed seemingly for sacrifice,.....the dark critical scrutiny of the priest,.......the sympathetic but resigned expression of the young inmate.....    All makes for an atmosphere of dread and loathing to me.   Just looking at this image one can't offer any help or compassion,.....I can't rescue this child before the darkeness inside the door takes her.

A graphic and meaningful comment on the catholic church and it's treatment of the young.

Quite right. I see from the small hands, it is a child. I was confused by the degree of 'volume anamorphosis' distortion in the bottom right corner, due to the wide angle of the lens and the close perspective.

You know, I thank God I am not ensnared in these ancient rituals   ;D .

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:56:01 am »

Michael, was any of this in your mind?

I agree with Ray.

Jeremy

dreed

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:57 pm »

I like this latest image from Michael. I like that small face appearing out of the dark, in the background.

Including the head of the man standing up that seems to be detached from the body with the lack of detail around the neck.

I'm curious if that was how it was shot or a bit of post there, to bring up the black levels... it fits in with the other detached head too..

viewfinder

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:37:31 am »

Er,...I think your monitor might want some attention,.......there are no "detached heads" on mine.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:31 am »

Interesting what people's backgrounds bring to seeing images. Because my wife is Catholic, I knew at once what the photo was about, and didn't see any of the dark ideas about the photo. Thought is was well done picture of a child going to church. Nothing more.
Les

Ray

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:00:30 pm »

Interesting what people's backgrounds bring to seeing images. Because my wife is Catholic, I knew at once what the photo was about, and didn't see any of the dark ideas about the photo. Thought is was well done picture of a child going to church. Nothing more.
Les

I see this image has now been replaced so it's perhaps a bit late for further comments.

But my recollection is of a relatively brightly lit child's face appearing out of the darkness in the background. The initial impression, for a fleeting moment, was of a head separated from the body.

The very sombre and serious expression of the priest, an expression even of disapproval it seemed to me, added to an over all impression of a rather macabre and sinister mood.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:45:16 am »

Image is still visible here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/galleries/urban/san_miguel_201011.shtml

Personal note : I've been christened and educated in Catholic faith, and so know somewhat what the the photo depicts (first communion seems a good bet, but she may also simply be some flower girl or demoiselle d'honneur at a wedding)... and though, I understand quite well those dark interpretations and share some. ::)
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ray

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:21 pm »

Image is still visible here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/galleries/urban/san_miguel_201011.shtml

Personal note : I've been christened and educated in Catholic faith, and so know somewhat what the the photo depicts (first communion seems a good bet, but she may also simply be some flower girl or demoiselle d'honneur at a wedding)... and though, I understand quite well those dark interpretations and share some. ::)

Thanks for the link. I'm glad you don't take offense at these anti-religious remarks. You seem to be well-balanced for a Catholic.  ;D

Religion is a sensitive issue, and I can understand why Michael would stay clear of this thread.

I think we are all pre-conditioned to see things in a certain way. I find it interesting and useful to attempt to rise out of such pre-conditioning and strive to view a subject in a more objective way.

I recall many years ago reading an account from an African Bushman who was able to visit London for the first time in his life. His first experience of the London underground during rush hour, was quite hilarious. His impression was of hundreds of black-coated people emerging from the train, carrying a bag in one hand and a spear in the other, rushing forward as to do battle. Quite frightening for him. (The spears of course were the old-fashioned, non-collapsible umbrellas which everyone carried in England because it's always raining.)

The thing that disturbs me most about certain religious people is their extreme sensitivity to criticism.

If someone wishes to call me a fool for being an atheist, I can handle it, with equanimity.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:03:32 pm »

So many questions, from a simple photograph. To me the sign of a successful image. There's way too many where you give it a quick glance and move on, just another Hallmark moment, processed to death for that easily digested look that is currently in fashion. Nothing new, most 'legacy' art sufferes from it as well. Thomas Kinkade comes to mind only because he's just up the hill.

Better yet when the question remains unanswered. Probably why religion's draw, most people seem to want certainty and the quantum universe scares the bejeezus out of them. Confirmed German Lutheran myself...That's confirmed in the literal sense, not philosophical.

Dang, outta wine, so will cut this prattling short and get a refill. Cheers

PS - Like most of Michael's photos, I rather like it. He's got a keen eye and a good sense of design.

seamus finn

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:26 am »

You seem to be well-balanced for a Catholic.

That's a provocative statement in any man's language, Ray.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:51:55 am by seamus finn »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »

You seem to be well-balanced for a Catholic.  ;D
Well, notwithstanding my religious education, I'd rather be called an atheist if you don't mind (fool I am for sure anyway)... Too many priests frowning darkly at me, I'd guess.  ::)
Deeply sorry if that kind of weakens your point. ;D

So many questions, from a simple photograph. To me the sign of a successful image.
Indeed!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ray

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »

That's a provocative statement in any man's language, Ray.

May be. But doesn't the smiley count for anything? It may be a character flaw of mine, but I can't resist sometimes poking fun at institutional behaviour and tradition. I'd be dead scared at visiting Pakistan. I'd have to hold my tongue or fear for my life.

seamus finn

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:25:07 am »

One of my character flaws is that I'm dead scared of sweeping statements  :P

Ray

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:20 am »

One of my character flaws is that I'm dead scared of sweeping statements  :P

God! You must be scared all the time then.  ;D

seamus finn

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:48 am »