Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The ghost village of Toiano  (Read 9053 times)

popnfresh

Re: The ghost village of Toiano
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »

I don't know if it's superior, but it does look pretty darn good in B&W.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:35 am »

I don't know if it's superior, but it does look pretty darn good in B&W.
It certainly does.

One thing that mars it as an image for me, though, is the black bar spanning the upper part of the arch. I'd remove it but I expect this comment will provoke howls of outrage!

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 04:44:35 am »

It certainly does.

One thing that mars it as an image for me, though, is the black bar spanning the upper part of the arch. I'd remove it but I expect this comment will provoke howls of outrage!

Jeremy

Jeremy, don't forget the walls of Jericho. Can't go messing with structures like that!

Rob C

marcocarmassi

• Marco Carmassi Fine Art Photography
    • Marco Carmassi Fine Art Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 05:01:00 am »

@popnfresh: I have a b/w version as well but the colors were so intense and peculiar that I didn't feel to left them out. Anyway, your b/w is quite impressive.

@Jeremy: you'd remove the black bar, someone asked me to remove the ladder, others don't like the armchair size but, as i said, I try to be respectful of original scene as much as i can, leaving things untouched even if, sometimes, as you, I don't like them.

@Russ: I'm sorry to repeat myself but I just enhanced actual colors. Believe it or not, the floor had a weird blueish hue, maybe due to the reflection of the blue painted wall above. Thanks for appreciating my pics on web; about over-dramatized skies, apparently we have a different point of view and I obviously respect yours.

@Rob: wise advice  :D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:31 am »

Jeremy, don't forget the walls of Jericho. Can't go messing with structures like that!
Oh, come now, Rob: I was thinking more of Samson. Have a little courage: you saw the bar away, take your shot and move like a bat out of hell before anything falls on you.

Jeremy

(and in case anyone takes that seriously, I was really thinking of PS)

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:16 am »

Oh, come now, Rob: I was thinking more of Samson. Have a little courage: you saw the bar away, take your shot and move like a bat out of hell before anything falls on you.

Jeremy

(and in case anyone takes that seriously, I was really thinking of PS)

Are you now thinking about Egyptian politics?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »

Are you now thinking about Egyptian politics?

;-)

Rob C

But, kidding aside, is anyone seriously thinking/interested in a LuLa trip to Italy at some time?

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:24 pm »

But, kidding aside, is anyone seriously thinking/interested in a LuLa trip to Italy at some time?

Rob C
A LuLa trip to Tuscany specifically would be awesome. I'd certainly consider it, but the timing would be crucial.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:37 am »

A LuLa trip to Tuscany specifically would be awesome. I'd certainly consider it, but the timing would be crucial.

Umm - I'm not thinking in terms of an official workshop; I wouldn't go. I'm thinking just in terms of a bunch of people that gets on well on LuLa and seems to have shared interests. And especially somebody else that can cook!

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »

I for one have already scratched a few forays off my possibility list for summer/fall2011 to make this a more likely reality...I've wanted for some time to check out the Estoril and Cascais area of Portugal (with possible relocation in the back of my mind)...

Most of my much loved family is happily transplanted to the UK, and keep encouraging me to do so... for me, I would like to try to see what that area has to offer me as far as being a home base in the future, so that I can either dig in further, or scratch it out of consideration...my thought then is to drive to Toiano, traveling extremely light, and just immerse myself in the area for a breath of fresh air in my diminishing timeline...To share the environs with a few like minded and light hearted spirits would be a real pleasure...Until last year when I treated myself to some personal downtime it was always on my Road King Classic, so limiting myself to a few changes of clothes, one camera body , and two pieces of good glass plus my tool kit was the extent of my packing...this past summer I spent as much time as possible either sailing or island camping, and the bike didn't make it out of the barn...I may have become self protective in that a fellow bike voyager was killed in a head on by a drunk driver last Spring...I'm finding myself wanting to be able to lug a tripod till the day I die...so the possibility of selling the bike to remove temptation is upon me...

I have come to completely disappear in ecstacy crawling around in a location for hour upon hour, both day and night...with the camera...I had lost my love of photography in trying to make the transition to digital...but at long last the digital thing isn't crushing me into the ground , and I've found myself free again to let the spirits take me where they may...
I'm open to this adventure, for the joy of friendship, an astounding locale, and moving outside the box I currently find myself inhabiting...Workshops format, stuffiness, attitude and unwillingness to go with serendipity aren't part of the picture I envision at the moment...so anyone serious?...count me in to the possibility pool!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:06:05 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 03:35:35 pm »

Portugal. I've worked there for Vogue; in Lisbon and down in the Algarve. It was a long time ago, and around Christmas/New Year and it rained like hell and was very cold. They have swung into and out of Communism and I still wouldn't invest a red cent there. Others do, and the real estate in the holiday areas is or was much higher in value than in much of Spain. If you golf expensive you'd love it. I don't, either way. Golf, I mean.

Italy appealed for a while, but the politics are rather doubtful there too and the red tape seems worse than in Spain. I wouldn't suggest an island anymore. Yes it keeps many out but it keeps others, like me, locked in. Ferries make spur of the moment ideas about the mainland or France anything but spur. They are expensive and not always at the most convenient times if you want to move beyond the terminals quickly on arrival, and for a good distance. And islands breed their own particular breed of politician too. This past year, most of Mallorca's ruling party has been pursued on corruption charges, and nobody seems remotely surprised. There are laws governing illegal lets of apartments and villas, but as most of the people running the town halls own such properties...

However, if you have the money for boats, the Balearics and Pitiusas provide beauty beyond dreams. But finding a berth is difficult. And dear because of it.

I sometimes think that those who live in their home town all their life end up having the best of it. They go from school into work and the network is all there, part of their lives from birth. Others, who move from place to place, do so because they chase dreams. But dreams end. Daylight shatters them and then it’s time to start looking around again, the history just keeps on repeating itself.

There are times when I look about me and wonder where the hell I am, and I’ve been here for almost thirty years now. I have concluded that travel is just another form of drug. You get that high as you do during a long shoot somewhere, and then you come down to a lower bottom than you had just left. I missed the photo trips like hell at first – probably still do – but I always felt that I was in some kind of unreal situation, even though it was, in fact, my working life for years, but it never felt it was based on anything solid. It all depended on a client’s whim, and how vulnerable a life do you want to lead? I suppose that travel has been indelibly associated in my mind with work, and even when we started to do it for pleasure (!?) and without work, I found myself obliged to pack all the stuff except the flashes. I used to tell myself it was going to be for stock, but it wasn’t really; I don’t know what it was for other than habit dying hard. Much the reason I still have cameras today, I guess. Like one of those dogs after Pavlov died.

I’ve had this idea that should I win the lottery  (I did last week: got €9 and a few cents) properly, I’d set up the kids and their kids and then buy myself some exotic landyacht and go from European lux hotel to lux hotel until that got heavy. After that, I just have no plans; the trip would probably take me out, anyway. Always liked a lot of things I couldn’t normally afford, so why not indulge them? I’d have no wish to leave Europe. I’ve been to Africa, India, the far East and across the Atlantic and you can keep most of it, thanks. There’s enough in the old European civilization to keep me interested and moving… It would be lovely to be in the snow in some chic resort and not feel cold right now! Could handle that. I have a friend who twenty years ago told me that when a man tires of the Côte d’Azur he’s tired of life. Poor guy has five acres and a house to die for, a couple of Mercs, has sold his yacht and his hips have gone; has now discovered Parkinson's. It can suck, too, can life. I always did subscribe to the idea that a rich man’s death is a sadder one than a pauper’s: so much more to loose.

On that happy note, I’ll go switch on the electric blanket. I dread forgetting. I set the alarm clock!

Ciao (See? I'm almost there already!)

Rob C

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:41:53 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:38 am »

Over on Coffee I've posted an alternative/additional idea under LuLaFansTrip.

I don't want to mess with the Toiano concept, so in Coffee we can keep things in their separate boxes.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up