Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook computer for photo shoots  (Read 7385 times)

Paul Sumi

Notebook computer for photo shoots
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 09:54:14 pm »

Sorry about the confusion.
Not a problem.    

I shouldn't even be considering a PowerBook (I'm a PC guy at work and home).  But reading what you and other Mac owners have to say is starting to lean me in that direction.

Best,

Paul

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 11:33:58 pm »

My present laptop computer has crapped out on me (for the last time!) and I need to get one that will enable me to do reasonably good image review and processing while out on a shoot.

Dennis:  After doing a lot of searching around the 'net, reading reviews, comparing specs, trading off weight/heat vs power and looking at everything from Alienware to Zenith, I've settled on the Acer Travelmate 8104.

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 05:44:45 am »

This is the second time I've seen a reference to G5 portable and the second time I've failed to find any hint of such a thing on the Apple web site.
Thank you, Didger, I was just about to post on this subject -- a G5 PowerBook does not yet exist. The heat output from a G5 processor is still way too high to squeeze it into a portable -- unless you count the iMacs as portables...  The G4 PowerBook is an excellent package, however.

Sony people -- heads up. I have worked in IT for 12 years & we periodically do laptop bake-offs to make sure we are getting the best quality/value. Sony puts out a nice package (execs drool over them), but the Vaio portables are filled with custom components that are expensive to replace if they fail. (and the smaller ones are the worst!!) Definitely get a 3-year warranty with any Vaio portable. Toshiba is the best in this regard -- all off-the-shelf components are used. (I am not crazy about their products, though.) We use Dell & I can't really say anything bad about them, but I can't say anything great about them either. I always had great success with IBM ThinkPads, but they are definitely geared towards business users, not artistic types.

Cheers!

dmammana

• http://www.skyscapes.com
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 01:02:18 pm »

Thanks Kenneth.  I have seen the G5 in operation and it's pretty powerful!  I have all PC hardware and software, though, and would prefer to stay with that.

Dennis
Dennis Mammana
www.skyscapes.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 10:38:59 pm »

Didger,

You said that you compared high-end PowerBook and PC notebooks. Were there any specific PC brands and models that you researched?  Would appreciate it if you could give me a starting point for my own comparisons.

Best,

Paul

Paul Sumi

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2005, 09:54:51 am »

Didger and Jonathan,

Thank you both for your replies, interesting that you both came down to the Fujitsu Lifebook.  I'll add that to the list to investigate.

I do have to admit, even though I am a PC user I am still actively considering the PowerBook G4 (15") for a traveling solution.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Sumi

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 12:37:34 pm »

I browsed notebook computers over the weekend, just to get an idea of what's available.  Since I will be traveling by air most of the time I need this computer, I have to balance portability (size, weight) against all-out functionality.  If car travel were my primary mode, my criteria might be different.

At this point, 17" screen machines are pretty much out of the running.  I love the screen real estate (particularly on the 17" PowerBook G4), but size and weight are issues.  When you're already lugging around a camera backpack, tripod and duffle full of personal gear, every ounce counts.

As a PC user, I'd prefer a PC solution.  There are a couple of Toshiba models (Satellite M45, for example) which are worth investigation).  I'm also looking at IBM and Fujitsu.

On the Apple side, the 15" PowerBook G4 is very interesting.  The challenge there is deciding which of my PC applications I need (as opposed to "want") to have on the road, and then finding out if they have Mac versions.  The hangup there is Eudora e-mail, where the address book and message files are "sorta" compatible.

Off to do more research,

Paul

Paul Sumi

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 05:09:16 pm »

It may actually be TOO small
Huh??  Compared to what?  The p5020 series have a 16.1" screen and more resolution than any 17" screen made that I know of (even all the newer models of Fujitsu) or Mac.
Hi Didger,

According to one review I read, the P5020 has a 10.4" screen.

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review831_specs4154.html

And here's PCWorld which specifies 10.6"

http://yahoo.pcworld.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,113966,00.asp

Perhaps you are thinking of another model, or Fujitsu uses different model numbers in different parts of the world?  I can't check the "official" specs because I don't see it in the Fujitsu on-line store.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc....tebooks

Regards,

Paul

didger

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 11:59:38 pm »

PC vs Mac is not really that big a deal if you're only using the laptop for image processing.  The operating system is so easy and intuitive that you hardly need to refer to any documentation.  Of course, the cost of another PS license is not so trivial.

Other than the battery life issue and weight, a PC laptop may be just as good, however.  I'd check on Sony Vaio prices and also check out the current Fujitsu Lifebook offerings.  I looked again and was simply overwhelmed and confused by so many models and even different versions of the same model.  When I looked before PC and Mac were just about identically priced by the time you figured in a large fast internal hard drive and max memory, but there may now be some great deals happening with some PC options; who knows?  Things change so fast.  I'm glad that my camera and computer situation is pretty stable for a while.  I'm tired of reading so much documentation with every change.

rih

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 10:55:41 pm »

For what it's worth I love my 15" Mac G4 titanium.  It has been all over the world --- the Antartic, Africa on ships, in backpacks, on trains, planes and safari vehicles and keeps on going.  I am about to by a G5 with the new Tiger version of OSX.  The reliability and the plug and play features make it easy to use on the road.  I can plug in accessories, tap into various wireless networks and go online etc. etc.  I am sure that there as PCs that work as well  I like the Sony Vaio models but the Mac has been wonderful.  I have it loaded with Adobe CS and use the Adobe browser and raw converter.  I have calibrated the monitor and it matches my desktop quite well.  I use a PC at work our Is requires it but the Mac is much more fun and as an added bonus much less spam and no spyware and no viruses.  yet.  You can't really go wrong with the top end machines you are considering.  Bob Handin

Paul Sumi

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 07:15:17 pm »

but G4 Powerbook truly rocks.
I'm a long time PC user who just bought a 15" G4 PowerBook and have to agree.  I'd been researching notebook computers for photo shoots/trips and just couldn't find a PC notebook that I liked as much.  And this despite the fact that Adobe and Microsoft don't license across platforms  :angry:

Paul
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up