Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imacon Flextight film scanner info  (Read 13143 times)

jeannemarie

Imacon Flextight film scanner info
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »

I have been looking at used Flextight scanners and have found quite a few that have not been used much.
Does anyone know the differences between the Flextight 949, 848, 343, and 646.
Everyone seems to simply call them a Precision II or III.
I do know these are not made anymore and they are now
owned by Hasselblad, but they have very little on their site about them.
Thanks for whatever info someone can offer.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

zivorad

Re: Imacon Flextight film scanner info
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:31:48 am »

Last solo scanners that imacon made on its on had model names 949, 848, 646 and 343. They are all same generation. 949 was flagship and in my opinion best made scanner ever, even power button was made out of aluminum ☺, it was superb machine and very fast. 848 had a same output as 949 but it was slower; there was one small difference but I can’t remember now. 949 and 848 had an option to have batch adapter and to handle multiply holders. 646 were a smaller model, non-commercial unit designed for photographers. Noble idea but it didn’t work. That scanner had a big price tag and a lot of limitations. Output wasn’t that grate and as I can remember there was some mechanical focus issue. All of them are 4x5 scanners. 343 were a baby model, 6x17cm, fix focus, lower resolution then a big model. They made this small model to be present on an amateur market and to be alternative to Nikon 8000 and 9000. That little scanner had a lot of limitations but for the money it was one of the best solutions on a market. I used to have 868 and 343 and I loved that scanner; if I could get it again for a 2k I would buy it.
Before this line, 949 868 646 and 343, imacon hade two units: Precision III and Photo. Precision III was by all means same unit as 848 and Photo was a same as 343. Only difference was SCSI. They are SCSI models and 949 family is Firewire.
Precision II is a scanner from 90’s and by any standard is a dinosaur

Hope this  helps 

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:23:08 pm »

Precision III and Photo. Precision III was by all means same unit as 848 and Photo was a same as 343. Only difference was SCSI. They are SCSI models and 949 family is Firewire.
Precision II is a scanner from 90’s and by any standard is a dinosaur

Fair summary with the exception that the difference between a Precision II and Precision III was slight and many upgraded their scanner with a Second wave scsi/Firewire converter with Granite hot-swap SCSI terminator and there was a software key which Imacon released in one version of Flexcolor. Although SCSI, using an RATOC FR1SX converter it works well with current Mac OSX versions.

The Precision Scanners offer strong performance and optically the Epson range is not close. If speed is an issue the later Imacon/Hasselblad scanners are faster, but with the right holder, I have one which does 3 6x7 in a strip, the limiting time will be the Post scan work in terms of dust removal cropping. It will not be you waiting for the scanner to finish!

I have used my Precision II for nearly 7 years, admittedly low volume scanning as I shoot/shot 5x4 mostly, but it has been a star and worth everything I paid for it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:45 am »

The Precision III (I still own one) is in fact very similar to a 848, the biggest difference being the interface that is SCSI only.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up