Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Anybody Made an Identical Print Using The Epson 7900/9900 & Epson 7890/9890  (Read 1798 times)

Gemmtech

I guess the subject line asks the question.  I tried searching this, but couldn't find it.  I'm curious has anybody printed out the identical image from these two different series printers?  Were there any differences between the prints?  Black & White differences?  Ocean scenes? etc.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond

When I got my 9900 a couple of weeks ago, I took one of my way-out slammed color images and printed it on each printer.

The image was really optimized for my 9800 with Bill Atkinson profile and is my master from the file. I ran the image on my 7600 using another custom profile from Atkinson on Somerset Velvet. The print on the 9900 was done using the canned profile.

The print is good from the 7600 though not as brilliant as the 9800 print. The 9900 print lost detail in some of the reds when it went to over saturday. I haven't reprinted that image on the 9900 with my custom-created profile using my Colormunki, and I think that's a good idea for me to do.

All in all, the image looks great to me and each printer is close enough that I wouldn't reject any. There isn't a clear stand-out that scream one printer is better than the other since each printer I'm using is simply a better iteration of the former and even going from the 7600 to the 9900 with my image and two different papers, it wasn't dramatically different. Sure, there are visible differences, but the general public viewing would have a hard time in quantifying the differences.

The image is a color-slammed image where I've pushed the siiders in ACR to the pegs. It's full of super saturated primary colors like the days of posterization but with lots of detail. It's in Adobe RGB 1998, so the gamut is limited, but since I do a lot of work in print media, this works well for my workflow.

I'll run a new print today using my custom profile and see how it compares to the other images.

For b&w, I wouldn't really expect a drastic difference since beyond the 7600, my two other printers run three blacks. However, I tone my images toward tones reminiscent of my favorite Agfa Portriga-Rapid selenium toned prints, a tad of brown-purple in the tones. I think it may not be a bad idea to give my 9800 and 9900 the same b&w image to see what I think between the two. My hypothesis is that there will be subtle differences, but both will be similar enough to make the grade.

I can tell you, though, that when I purchased the 9800 several years ago, it had Mk installed and I normally use coated stock, simply ran Premium Luster with that ink.

The prints had a look all their own, a lot like a spot matt varnish on a tri-tone printed litho, what many would call gloss differential on steroids. Useable and a unique look on my test prints.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net

You have to be careful and quite particular doing this otherwise you are just wasting paper.

Firstly I think you have to ask yourself what you are wanting to achieve by this exercise. If you are wishing to ascertain which printer does the best job of printing out the same file... using canned profiles from either Epson or the Manufacturer will just not cut it.

I think the best way to do it is to have custom profiles made for each printer, and for each paper, and then compare the results. Use about 3 of your preferred papers with high key and low key images. If you do anything less than this the variance in output using canned profiles with your machines will not be able to give you anything realistic to compare with. You have to give each machine the best possible opportunity to do its job well, then compare the results.

I've done this just as a matter of process when I upgraded from my Epson 9800 to my 9900.... same file but with new custom profiles for my 9900... and yes, better gamut in the blues and greater tonal range in the darks. The prints have a slightly stronger presence...which I know is purely aesthetic judgement... but that's how I evaluate my work.

Julie

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

I guess the subject line asks the question.  I tried searching this, but couldn't find it.  I'm curious has anybody printed out the identical image from these two different series printers?  Were there any differences between the prints?  Black & White differences?  Ocean scenes? etc.

Did you see this? http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson_4900_printer_review___addendum_february_2011.shtml
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up