Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop "write access was not granted"  (Read 6412 times)

jscriba

Photoshop "write access was not granted"
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:52:27 am »

Hi all,

for years I have been plagued by Photoshop sporadically refusing to save files to my AppleShare-volume with the message "Could not save because write access was not granted."
There's an interesting discussion unfolding on an Adobe support forum:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732422?start=50&tstart=0
It turns out that a lot of people are having this issue. It seems like Photoshop employs a special "safe saving" mechanism that writes temporary files and then replaces the original file.
It seems that in some systems various issues can block this final replacing step which leads to the error message.
Adobe advises not to work off files on servers but rather make local copies to copy back after editing.

Interestingly, when I suggested Photoshop might give users a choice of using the same file handling mechanisms that other products like InDesign or Illustrator employ (that do not exhibit theses issues) I got this reply:
ID and AI probably aren't working - they just aren't reporting the error (and loss of your files) to you.
I'm pretty confident I've never lost any file working with other software and I wonder why Adobe feels the need to force this extra level of safety on users.
Do you have any experience / thoughts on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up