Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film stills and "work for hire"  (Read 11892 times)

LKaven

Re: Film stills and "work for hire"
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 04:06:29 pm »

...it was a great response to a generic situation that occurs daily
The information content was worth chiseling in stone.

MilanHeath

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 01:35:30 pm »

Any update on your final agreement?

LKaven

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »

Any update on your final agreement?
I did contact the UK Film Council who awarded the development grant to the film project I was working with.  They confirmed that while they require "all rights" to be acquired for film property, the details of how those rights are acquired are not a concern.  My giving the company a perpetual use license royalty free is sufficient for what they actually need, and it has nothing to do with "ownership" or "work for hire".  I don't think the filmmakers were actually lying to me about this, but they weren't telling the truth.

So what I will propose to the filmmakers is that (i) I won't sign a post-facto work for hire, which is of questionable legality at best, but (ii) I will give a perpetual use license royalty free for the initial images, and (iii) agree to finish their project on a WFH basis, so long as the terms are established before work is begun, and where certain rights are granted back to me in the process.  There was never a problem with them granting back certain rights to me.   

I think this is fair...morally, and legally.  We'll see if this works, and I'll update after the matter gets settled.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up