Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to Myanmar (Burma) for 2 weeks starting End of Feb.  (Read 3268 times)

Praki

Trip to Myanmar (Burma) for 2 weeks starting End of Feb.
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:06:05 am »

Hello:

I am a novice photographer going to Burma for two weeks starting Feb. 25. I will be doing the usual circuit Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle lake. I will have a couple of days to work other places in. I would appreciate any input and advice regarding places to visit and best times to photograph monuments.

Thanks in advance.

Praki.

fotomachi

• fotomachi
Re: Trip to Myanmar (Burma) for 2 weeks starting End of Feb.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:51:20 am »

I travelled for ~3 weeks in Myanmar in November 2009: Yangon, Mrauk U, Mandalay region, Inle lake area, Bago and Bagan.

If I'd return to Myanmar, I'd spend much more time in Mrauk U. It's out of space and out of time.
I wouldn't return to Bago, though it was still interesting in its own right.
A town I can recommend is Sagaing, near Mandalay. It basically is a series of hills stuffed with small monasteries (mostly modern though). I took a motorcycle-taxi to the top and hiked downwards to the river, stoping here and there to have a chat and thee.
Inle lake is very beautiful. One day I hired a boat to visit places around the lake. The next day I hired a boat just to wander around to photograph the fishermen. It's important to get out as early as possible.
Bagan is impressive. Get out early and stay out late. If it is for photography you go there, scouting the area is extremely important. Most people visit the large temples at sunrise and sunset, but there are so many small sites with an accessible top roof that will be yours and only yours... You can buy maps of Bagain with all the sites indicated (from the big pagodas to the smallest shrine). I suggest you buy such a map and indicate where you want to return later when scouting. I was in Bagan for 5 days. It was not enough... I think 3-4 weeks would be nice, seeing the sun set and rise from different locations. Also, Bagan is magical at night. There is only very little light polution in Myanmar...

I am currently making a website and have finished my travel photography galleries. You can find the Myanmar gallery here: myanmar.fotomachi.com

Good luck, Myanmar is a delightful country to photograph.

Praki

Re: Trip to Myanmar (Burma) for 2 weeks starting End of Feb.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:24 am »

Thanks for your response. I got back last week from Myanmar and my visit was quite good. I went to most of the places you mentioned. I wish I had seen your response before I went to Mandalay, Bagan, Bago, Inle lake and the Golden Rock Pagoda; I could  have included the other locations you mentioned. The opportunities for "pure" landscapes were more limited in these locations. However, photographing monuments and people in the landscapes were really worthwhile. I found the people to be gentle and very friendly. Your images on the website were very evocative of the locations. I hope to post some images in the next few weeks. I would appreciate your comments on them.
Cheers,
Praki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up