Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap thrills... need to use a xxCanon extender with 200mm 2.8L  (Read 1516 times)

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
Cheap thrills... need to use a xxCanon extender with 200mm 2.8L
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »

Trying to get some "reach" on a budget.....got the xx2 canon extender and wanted to know how it would work with that cool, not too expensive, Canon 200mm 2.8L prime  telephoto...btw?.anybody got one of these for sale...to take surfing shots.?....with the "H"size sensor on my 1Dmk2.. it could give me the "reach"  and "L" glass to boot??  The wife is Sicilian and it got to keep the costs down or ???Sleep wid da Fishes".
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

stever

Re: Cheap thrills... need to use a xxCanon extender with 200mm 2.8L
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:58 am »

the 200 is a nice simple design that seems to be pretty happy with extenders.  the 2x-I is not the greatest piece of glass, but it's an improvement over a crop from the 1.4x with the 200.  you need to watch out for front/backfocus errors with extenders on older cameras without micro-adjust - both my 1.4x (even after a visit to Canon which improved it) and the 2x have significant focus issues

sorry, you can't have my 200, not as versatile as a zoom but great for action in low light and about as sharp as anything Canon makes

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
Re: Cheap thrills... need to use a xxCanon extender with 200mm 2.8L
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:46:37 pm »

Tnx very much Steve for the info.... 1Dmk2, micro adj focus? Thanks for the heads up on the 200mm/2.8.... could you clarify the focus concern with the 2x extender?? micro focus...wow!
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up