Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions concerning 5D2 operation  (Read 1650 times)

NigelC

Some questions concerning 5D2 operation
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:40 am »

I have a few questions arising from my until now limited use of Canon 5D2.

1. As GH2 will in future be "walkabout" camera, not 5D, I'm rejigging my lenses and will acquire Zeiss ZE 35/2 and either Zeiss ZE 21/2.8 or TSE 24/2.8 Mk2. Now as I understand it, these 3 lenses would have focus conformation when focussing manually. To my mind, that would be subject to same potential front/back focus as with AF (only difference is my fingers substituting for servo motor in lens) therefore would not AF micro-adjustment work? If so, is it just for specified Canon lenses or would it work with the Zeiss? I understand it, you can do a generic correction but that applies to all lenses, which is probably self-defeating.

2. If allegedly, ISO 160 is sweetspot for IQ, this means enabling third stop ISO increments. I have been disabling these, because I was told (!) that enabling them increased noise in in circutry, whether used mid-stops or not. Is this correct or just forum chatter? (Yes I will compare for myself, given time)

3. I had always thought 5D2 like predecessor only allowed plus/minus 2 stops exposure compensation and AEB also so limited. Fumbling with settings up an Alp yesterday (admittedly with frozen fingers), the screen showed plus or minus 4 stops, but could only set AEB for 2 stops????

All replies gratefully received.

NigelC

Re: Some questions concerning 5D2 operation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:08:42 am »

sorry, circuitry!

Canon Bob

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:10 am »

I nolonger have my 5D2 but +/- 2 stops EV was all I ever saw on it.....not sure why +/- 4 stops occurred.

On the subject of Iso setting.  It's my understanding that Iso 160 uses Iso 200 -1/3 EV.  All 1/3 and 1/2 stop levels are +/-EC corrected from the nearest native setting.

Bob

JeanMichel

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:49:01 am »

Hi,

The micro adjustment works for non-Canon lenses. I have two VC lenses, one of which requires a small amount of micro adjustment. The camera recognizes the lens (not the name, but the focal length) when mounted and makes the necessary AF adjustment. The focus confirmation light works just fine -- I only use the centre one for these two lenses, a 20 and a 40 mm.

Jean-Michel

tokengirl

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:07:20 pm »

Regarding the 24mm TSE II, the max aperture is f3.5, not f2.8.  The focus confirmation works correctly only when the lens is NOT shifted and NOT tilted.  Use Live View with 10X magnification to focus for best results.

As for this business of ISO 160 being the "sweet spot", this is nothing more than an internet fantasy as far as I can tell.  I have tried it, it does not make one bit of difference in the final photo.

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »

Regarding the 24mm TSE II, the max aperture is f3.5, not f2.8.  The focus confirmation works correctly only when the lens is NOT shifted and NOT tilted.  Use Live View with 10X magnification to focus for best results.

Thats when I would use focus confiormation, when using it as normal 24mm lens.

As for this business of ISO 160 being the "sweet spot", this is nothing more than an internet fantasy as far as I can tell.  I have tried it, it does not make one bit of difference in the final photo.

Now why doesn't that surprise me
Pages: [1]   Go Up