Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I bother?  (Read 1573 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Should I bother?
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:53:53 pm »

This is a Work in Progress of a 57 image stitch (PTGUI), roughly 22000x7500 pixels in original size (Elbow Falls - Alberta).  Because of the flowing water and relatively short exposure (0.3 seconds), there are obvious visible seams in the water which may not be apparent in this much reduced version for the web.  It will take a bit of effort on my part to smooth out these seams - it can be done but with 57 images it's going to be time consuming partly because of trying to manage 57 photos, and also because the file is currently largeand is taxing my system making progress slow (I saved from PTGUI as a PSB with blended plus individual layers to let me do later feathering of the seams)

I may be emotionally attached to this photo so just canvassing for opinions from those with an eye for composition, before I go crazy with time and effort on this.  I am thinking of getting this printed out at about 6 feet x 2 feet to hang in our living room over our main sofa which is currently graced by bare wall.

Thanks in advance,
[size=12p

Rob C

Re: Should I bother?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:59:17 am »

This is a Work in Progress of a 57 image stitch (PTGUI), roughly 22000x7500 pixels in original size (Elbow Falls - Alberta).  Because of the flowing water and relatively short exposure (0.3 seconds), there are obvious visible seams in the water which may not be apparent in this much reduced version for the web.  It will take a bit of effort on my part to smooth out these seams - it can be done but with 57 images it's going to be time consuming partly because of trying to manage 57 photos, and also because the file is currently largeand is taxing my system making progress slow (I saved from PTGUI as a PSB with blended plus individual layers to let me do later feathering of the seams)

I may be emotionally attached to this photo so just canvassing for opinions from those with an eye for composition, before I go crazy with time and effort on this.  I am thinking of getting this printed out at about 6 feet x 2 feet to hang in our living room over our main sofa which is currently graced by bare wall.

Thanks in advance,

I've got tons of photographs; we settled for a mirror in that spot.

Rob C

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:36:29 am »

Andrew,

If you have an emotional attachment to the image then you neither need nor really want our opinion. We will not be looking at this print every day...you will.

Having said that, the image is certainly nice enough. Its well composed and might make an interesting large print, but it does not excite me..probably because I have no attachment to it. I'm sure that it will be a great conversation piece when guests come.

Time is the one luxury we have as amateur photographers. If it makes you happy, I say do it.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 07:22:27 pm »

It's going to hang on your wall, so our opinions don't matter a whole lot! Plus, it seems to be a technical challenge you want to overcome.

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:46:19 am »

I have no strong feeling about the composition one way or the other. But the light, or lack thereof, doesn't impress me.

But you like it, so that's what counts.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:02:53 am by popnfresh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up