Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glamour II rolling issues  (Read 5140 times)

chez

Glamour II rolling issues
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:31:47 pm »

I am having problems rolling out Glamour II onto Lyve. I've followed the instructions from Breathing Color. I am using only the glossy finish. I dilute it 75% Glamour II to 25% warm water. I pour quite a lot onto the canvas and use a foam roller to roll out the finish. I roll in all directions and ensure all the canvas has a very thorough coating.

What is happening is the Glamour II does not appear very smooth on the surface of the canvas with a somewhat texture that is a milky color. As it dries, this milky texture remains. I've tried to apply different amount of the finish, yet I still get the same results.

I am using a foam roller that I picked up at a hardware store. It is a high density roller used for painting. Could this foam roller be the problem? For people who roll on the finish, where do you get the rollers?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

photodave

Re: Glamour II rolling issues
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »

I am having problems rolling out Glamour II onto Lyve. I've followed the instructions from Breathing Color. I am using only the glossy finish. I dilute it 75% Glamour II to 25% warm water. I pour quite a lot onto the canvas and use a foam roller to roll out the finish. I roll in all directions and ensure all the canvas has a very thorough coating.

What is happening is the Glamour II does not appear very smooth on the surface of the canvas with a somewhat texture that is a milky color. As it dries, this milky texture remains. I've tried to apply different amount of the finish, yet I still get the same results.

I am using a foam roller that I picked up at a hardware store. It is a high density roller used for painting. Could this foam roller be the problem? For people who roll on the finish, where do you get the rollers?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Harry

I had the same problem when I started using the Lyve Canvas.  It frustrated me so much that I switched back to Chormata White.  My experience with the Lyve Canvas is that it started to dry/cure well before I could get the entire canvas coated.  The only thing that I can think of is to increase the amount of water in the mix.  Maybe try 35% water to 65% coating.  Also when using the glamour II coating I put the coating in the microwave for 15 seconds before mixing it.  I think that by doing this it helps loosen up the particles in the gloss to mix better with water.  Any way just my 2 cents. Hope some of this helps.

David 

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14:05 am »

Try contacting Stephen Warth at Breathing Color (714) 744-4085x118.  He might be able to help or point you to someone at BC who can.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Light Seeker

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14:19 am »

While not a direct answer to your question, I have rolled Timeless onto Lyve without issues (other than dust, hair, etc.). The dust and hair finally drove me to a spray gun, which has worked out very well (Timeless / Lyve again).

Terry.

ftbt

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:20:22 am »

I'm going to spray some Lyve canvas tomorrow with a new Wagner Control Max using Glamour 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:26:33 am »

I'm going to spray some Lyve canvas tomorrow with a new Wagner Control Max using Glamour 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

I highly recommend the spraying route. I did the pour/coat with Lyve and Glamour II for a while, and honestly it's just such a pain. I was able to get good coverage most of the time, but sometimes wound up with little pinpricks where I didn't get the coating right. Plus I had to cover the dining room table with drop cloth, mix everything, wash everything, etc. I still have a gallon each of Glamour II in matte and glossy, and I'm just going to toss it and use the Timeless. That + a Wagner is a dream!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:44:50 am »

I highly recommend the spraying route. I did the pour/coat with Lyve and Glamour II for a while, and honestly it's just such a pain. I was able to get good coverage most of the time, but sometimes wound up with little pinpricks where I didn't get the coating right. Plus I had to cover the dining room table with drop cloth, mix everything, wash everything, etc. I still have a gallon each of Glamour II in matte and glossy, and I'm just going to toss it and use the Timeless. That + a Wagner is a dream!

Neil

Since you have the hvlp sprayer already--- I'd hold onto the Glamour II.  With the hvlp sprayer, using Glamour II is easy.

namartinnz

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 06:03:58 am »

Also sounds like your roller could be the problem - the ones that BC supply seem to be different to most types. I found the more the rollers got used, they would get to a point where these milky portions would appear. A new roller usually solved it. I don't know what causes the problem - more diluting with water to help it spread evenly could help too.

natas

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:16 am »

It sounds like you are either putting to much on your first coat or you have not diluted enough.

Also go get a wagner spray gun, it works way better than the rolling technique. I rolled my first 20 or so and got tired of hair, dust and other things like that. Plus it was a pain to do. I bought a cheap wagner and have never looked back

chez

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:55:58 am »

I'd love to spray but just don't have the space inside and freezing outside. Might have to look into making a small spray booth in the corner of the garage and putting in some form of heating.

It sounds like you are either putting to much on your first coat or you have not diluted enough.

Also go get a wagner spray gun, it works way better than the rolling technique. I rolled my first 20 or so and got tired of hair, dust and other things like that. Plus it was a pain to do. I bought a cheap wagner and have never looked back

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:57 pm »

The rolling is really not that hard.
The proper roller and a clean work area and you should get excellent results.
Do not put too much material on at one time. It is the only item I saw from your description that was a little out of whack.

chez

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:53 am »

The rolling is really not that hard.
The proper roller and a clean work area and you should get excellent results.
Do not put too much material on at one time. It is the only item I saw from your description that was a little out of whack.

Dan, how much is too much? I try to put enough on right from the start so that I can cover the majority of the canvas when rolling. Should I be putting less on at one time and rolling it out, and then pouring more out onto the areas of the canvas not yet covered?

fetish

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:06:50 am »

chez, i think i know your issue.
it's like you have patches of milky and non-milky areas all over the coated surface, some of which have very distinctive lines of seperation between the patches, yes?
in some cases, esp in smaller canvasses, the patches are not noticeable after drying, but i couldnt bring myself to give my clients a finishing which i have doubts about.

i have this problem only on lyve canvas, with all sorts of rolled acrylic based liquid laminate. i suspect it's due to the reaction between lyve canvas ink receptive coating and the liquid laminate, causing it to bond differently with the liquid when it first touches the canvas and when you start rolling it.
you'll always see a distinctive patch the exact same shape as your initial pouring puddle.

i've tried pouring the puddle outside of my printed area and rolling the liquid inwards, but that'll still creative uneven milky/non-milky streaks in the direction of the rolling.

sad to say, the only practical solution (from my experiments) is to do spraying for this canvas.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

I am new to this (canvas and Glamour II)  and am using Lyve and Glamour II  with the roller purchased from Breathing Color.   I use glossy  diluted with 25% warm water (80 degrees or so).
I add the Glamour II to the warm water stirring with a plastic paint stick (stirrer) gently without making any foam or bubbles (or at least minimal)

The only issues, at this point, is dust and such gathering on the image.   I use a fine brush (used in frame shops) to brush off the print before appying the mixture.

Not sure why you would get a milky finish.  (assuming the mixture is fresh)    I did have one print that  had some streaks but I just applied another full coat and it was corrected with the second go.

will be reading this post to see what my be causing the milky finish (so as to avoid this myself)

ftbt

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:26:41 pm »

I sprayed Glamour 2 on Lyve last weekend using a new Wagner Control Max sprayer. I have to admit that I probably didn't have the sprayer properly adjusted, since the coating went on rather thick. I also probably made a mistake in giving it another coat in the opposite direction after waiting about 20 minutes or so for the first coat to set-up. The canvas didn't come out 100% perfect. There is one small white spot in a corner where I must have laid too much coating (or maybe it is just taking its sweet time to fully dry). However, the rest of the canvas looks great, so I guess I have to chalk it up as "operator error."

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 11:28:14 pm »

Hey FT I know this topic is somewhat old but did you figure out your problem with spraying on Lyve with the Wagner spray gun?  I'm about to go purchase one. What was the solution? 

BannerB

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:51 am »

Someone had posted this link earlier on this forums maybe years ago.

http://erlendmork.com/store/p_narrentraum-varnish.shtml

Glamour II on canvas via rolling.
Brett Banner
Landscape Color - B&W - Infrared
Call me a Canonite
iPF8300

nihil

• http://erlendmork.com
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:53:38 am »

Someone had posted this link earlier on this forums maybe years ago.

http://erlendmork.com/store/p_narrentraum-varnish.shtml

Glamour II on canvas via rolling.

Sorry, that's cotton rag paper  ;)
Erlend Mørk
[url=http://www.erlendmork.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up