Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 meter readings  (Read 1431 times)

owenpga

D700 meter readings
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:11:15 am »

I was out shooting this morning with a d700 70-200 vr, 1.4converter and vario nd filter.
I noticed that when i was looking through the view finder it would read 13" exposure which is what I wanted but the screen on the top and back of camera both would read about 2.5 sec. The image shot at 2.5'and gave me under exposed image. On manual it seemed to work fine with readings from all 3 locations reading correctly. When I took the filter off things worked fine. Seems a but odd as I've never noticed this before. Any thoughts would be welcome. Owen

Gary Brown

Re: D700 meter readings
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:19:44 am »

Did you close the viewfinder eyepiece shutter? Otherwise, when you take your eye away from the viewfinder, light entering via the viewfinder can affect the exposure.

owenpga

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »

Didn't have the eyepiece covered. Im aware that some light on occasion might find it's way through the viewfinder. As I stated in my email there is a considerable difference between what the viewfinder exposure is telling me and what the info panel is telling me. The correct exposure was 13" which is what the viewfinder was telling me. The camera shot at 2.5" which is what the info panel indicated. 2.5 was way underexposed. A manual setting of 13" @22f was correct exposure.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:54:43 am »

I too have seen this problem when using a d300 and long exposures with a nd filter. It seems to happen intermittently but I always manage to get a good exposure. One of the readings always seems to be correct. I would like an answer though. :) As to light entering the viewfinder I have read many times it could be a problem. When I set the exposure I lock it in aperture mode or in manual I don't because once set in manual it shouldn't change?
Pages: [1]   Go Up