Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuscany Landscapes  (Read 4245 times)

marcocarmassi

• Marco Carmassi Fine Art Photography
Tuscany Landscapes
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:14:59 am »

Hi everybody, I'm new here and my name is Marco Carmassi. I'm an italian professional photographer living between Italy and California.
I stumbled by chance in this forum and i got hooked by the general high expertise of people here.
I'd like to submit to your attention some photos from my portfolio and I'll be looking forward to your opinions.

francois

Re: Tuscany Landscapes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

Marco,
Welcome to the forum!

The four photos you submitted are very nice with strong skies (except #4, of course). The #1, in B/W with the cypresses is well balanced. The shadow and the clouds in the sky offer a sense of symmetry which cradles the cypresses (is it in San Quirico?). I like #2, mostly for the warm light on the bark of the pine trees. The perspective is also interesting. #3 is classical Val d'Orcia landscape but the clouds, shadows and the plowed fields offer a different view than the spring with poppies photos... Well done!
Photo #4 is more creative than the first three images, I like it for its simplicity and high-key tonalities.
Francois

GlennMorimoto

• http://www.morimotophotography.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

Beautiful images Marco!  I agree with all the comments @Francois said.  I really love image #4, I love the tranquil, surreal quality of that image.

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:35:26 pm »

I'm a sucker for Tuscan landscapes and these are stunning. Excellent work.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »

I like #1 and #4 very much. #3, on the other hand, just doesn't look right to me. I can't put my finger on what's wrong, though. Maybe it's just a very saturated sky.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:57 pm »

Marco, I'm not much of a landscape enthusiast but I think #1 is quite fine all around. In #2 and #3, as Jeremy points out, it looks as if some color saturation boosting has been going on. Maybe too much. But the composition in both is fine. #4 is quite good, but it's already been done many times.

Welcome. You obviously know what you're doing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »

Finally some landscape photography to approach the level of fashion shots usually displayed here! My favorites are #1 and #2. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »

Hi everybody, I'm new here and my name is Marco Carmassi. I'm an italian professional photographer living between Italy and California.
I stumbled by chance in this forum and i got hooked by the general high expertise of people here.
I'd like to submit to your attention some photos from my portfolio and I'll be looking forward to your opinions.

Benvenuto!

Rob C

marcocarmassi

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:50 pm »

Hi, many thanks to everybody for comments and constructive critiques.

@Francois: I woke up very early to take the cypresses picture. The sun was rising on the left of the photo. I thought to take a b/w shot to communicate the absolute silence and calmness that I was enjoying.
I used a Canon EF 24mm lens. As you guessed, the cypresses are just out of San Quirico.
In pic #2 I waited for a few minutes before the sunset, it was a lucky shot because I saw this place by chance while I was driving my car :-). Val D'Orcia is a very magic place.
The #4 is the pier of Baratti, a very evocative place. The pier is very old but still working.

@Glenn: thanks a lot, I agree with you, #4 is one of my favorite as well for the same reasons.

@Popnfresh: if you decide to come to visit Tuscany (sooner or later) don't forget to contact me before.
In addition to suggest nice spots for your pictures, I know many excellent restaurants where eating good food and drinking special Tuscan red wine:-)

@Jeremy: I understand your point of view, here the colours in autumn are very intense and the photo could appear over saturated. I'm pleased you enjoyed the others pics.

@RSL: about #4, it's true what you say but in Italy it's not very easy to see piers like that and that thick fog is not an usual sight on open sea, so I liked the overall effect. Anyway you're right: it's not the most original picture ever.

@Slobodan: thanks a lot, as soon as possible i'll post other photos.

@Rob: Grazie!

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »

@Popnfresh: if you decide to come to visit Tuscany (sooner or later) don't forget to contact me before.
In addition to suggest nice spots for your pictures, I know many excellent restaurants where eating good food and drinking special Tuscan red wine:-)

Awesome! Will do.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 03:05:53 am »

Stunning work.
I feel like re-visiting Tuscany.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 05:28:39 am »

Hi, many thanks to everybody for comments and constructive critiques.

@Rob: Grazie!

Prego!

;-)

Rob C

francois

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:49:58 am »

@Jeremy: I understand your point of view, here the colours in autumn are very intense and the photo could appear over saturated. I'm pleased you enjoyed the others pics.

This is true, colors can be very intense in that region and even in Winter. I desaturated a few of my photos to make them more credible.
Francois

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:21:55 pm »

Hi Marco, and welcome to the list!  I'll echo what the others have said - very good work.  The third one doesn't seem that off to me.  This is an image from southern Saskatchewan, originally shot on Kodachrome.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up