Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Womens Health Advice  (Read 3645 times)

graeme

Womens Health Advice
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »

Hi Guys

I really hope this post doesn't p*** anyone off.

My partner has been advised that she should have a hysterectomy. She's prepared for this but is a bit uneasy because she feels she hasn't had her condition properly explained to her by the medical professionals who have been treating her. She also feels that she hasn't had the opportunity to ask questions. We're in the UK and are being treated by the NHS which is great at some stuff but not at communication ( either with the patient or between its' own myriad departments ).

Do any of you know of any women's health forums or support websites that may offer her useful advice? She's had a look at the NHS website but is loathe to dive headfirst into the sea of ( mis )information & FUD that the Web can be. She\s got a lot on her mind at the moment - she's an artist and is in the middle of the largest commission she's ever had as well as a load of other work, so no pressure.

Why am I asking this question on a photography forum populated mainly by guys? Because you're about the smartest bunch of people I have any contact with and you probably know some pretty smart women.

If the moderators remove this post I won't be offended in the least.

Regards

Graeme

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Re: Womens Health Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

While hysterectomy can be considered somewhat routine, it is still a major procedure.  You don't need forums....find a GYN doc that will answer questions.  My husband is an OB GYN so I know lots of them...there are plenty that will answer questions...just don't go in with 10 pages of prepared questions or you will be out of luck....be reasonable with expectations....Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:12 am »

^^what she said ^^

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:28:23 am »

It depends why the op is being suggested: some do them as routine in tandem with some other procedures that require opening of the area for other original purposes, but I would suggest that the wisdom of it or otherwise it's also an age thing, and depends on many factors such as the wish (or not) for children.

Whatever path she selects, don't base it on non-pro opinion!

Rob C

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:48 pm »

For health information, I've found that the Mayo Clinic web site is full of good information, very professional, informative and reliable.  Whenever I have any health issue, it's my first source of information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com

Best wishes to her...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

graeme

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »

Hi Eleanor & Justan

Thanks for your replies.

Points taken.

My Mother had a hysterectomy a few years so I appreciate the seriousness of the procedure.

In the British NHS system it's not always easy to know who's actually in charge of your treatment therefore it can be difficult to know who to question - and often English is not the first language of the professional you're dealing with which further hampers communication ( this can become a real problem if, like me, you have a regional accent ). There are also some unusual aspects of my partner's condition which she'd like clarifying before further treatment.

Thanks for your help.

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:34:15 pm »

It depends why the op is being suggested: some do them as routine in tandem with some other procedures that require opening of the area for other original purposes, but I would suggest that the wisdom of it or otherwise it's also an age thing, and depends on many factors such as the wish (or not) for children.

Whatever path she selects, don't base it on non-pro opinion!

Rob C

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply

We haven't had much pro opinion yet. The speed of treatment has been very impressive but the NHS system is downright Kafkaesque if you're unfamiliar with it. I'm sure that the facilities and expertise are all there but it can be bloody difficult to talk to anyone. Hopefully this may change in the next few days when some MRI results have been analysed.

Hope you're enjoying the new motor a bit more.

Best Regards

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »

For health information, I've found that the Mayo Clinic web site is full of good information, very professional, informative and reliable.  Whenever I have any health issue, it's my first source of information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com

Best wishes to her...

Lisa

Thanks Lisa

I've passed on the link to my other half.

Regards

Graeme

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »

Graeme, I can understand your frustration with "the system"....we have that over here too...our Texas Medical Center is huge....ridiculously so, and it's easy to get "lost in the cracks"...between docs, between hospitals, various opinions, etc.  My point was that for a major procedure, nothing can substitute for one on one consultation with the operating physician. Sometimes friends can recommend someone they have been too....Just look until you find someone that will explain the diagnosis carefully then and only then, proceed.  good luck, eleanor

Hi Eleanor & Justan

Thanks for your replies.

Points taken.

My Mother had a hysterectomy a few years so I appreciate the seriousness of the procedure.

In the British NHS system it's not always easy to know who's actually in charge of your treatment therefore it can be difficult to know who to question - and often English is not the first language of the professional you're dealing with which further hampers communication ( this can become a real problem if, like me, you have a regional accent ). There are also some unusual aspects of my partner's condition which she'd like clarifying before further treatment.

Thanks for your help.

Graeme
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply

We haven't had much pro opinion yet. The speed of treatment has been very impressive but the NHS system is downright Kafkaesque if you're unfamiliar with it. I'm sure that the facilities and expertise are all there but it can be bloody difficult to talk to anyone. Hopefully this may change in the next few days when some MRI results have been analysed.

Hope you're enjoying the new motor a bit more.

Best Regards

Graeme

I know what you are saying about the doctor's native language; not only is it sometimes difficult from the patient's point of view, but as bad from the medic's!

For myself, I'd never hit the web for medical information. The problem is that you can't be sure of two things: is the resource correct; do you yourself know what the problem really is? Worse, you can pick up information that can give you stress you really don't need. It's tough enough living with health problems and you certainly don't need web scare stories to add to it, especially when they may not apply.

My wheels? Perhaps it was just a bad day - it was a poor one today, too, but the car is actually not the problem; the preoccupation is with ghosts in the psyche. In fact, the poor car is blameless and quite pretty; thanks for even remembering!

Best to you both.

Rob C

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:37 am »

It is a surgery to remove a woman's uterus or womb.It is done because of many gynecological problems may be because of cancer.Talk to your physician for exact reason before surgery.

Strange first post.  I don't think the OP is quite as ignorant as that and in any case even the NHS is not that slow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up