Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have Phase One screwed up? [resumed]  (Read 7844 times)

IanB

Re: Have Phase One screwed up? [resumed]
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 05:56:50 am »

I don't really know much about the technicalities of these backs, but it seems that the most significant innovation of the IQ range is the ability to provide a kind of live view (albeit at low refresh rates), which people have been screaming out for, not least on this site. I would assume from this that the Kodak sensors are for some reason not suitable for this - heat, perhaps?

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 06:39:36 am »

In general, CCD sensors can't be read as quickly as CMOS sensors. But it is a constantly evolving field. There's a small summary here

http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx

ondebanks

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

The P45+ is still a new and current product.

And still the best long exposure back in the world.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Doug,

I know the P45+ is still good. And I also know you're going to sell a truckload of new IQ backs to folks who don't care about long exposures. And I'm happy for you.

What I was really getting at is this: where are PhaseOne going? What's their long term development plan? Does it include anything for those of us who want to see continued improvements in long-exposure backs, or is the P45+ the end of the line? Based on the evidence, it seems to be the end of the line. Can't you see why that would be alarming?

Joe Behar

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

Based on the evidence, it seems to be the end of the line. Can't you see why that would be alarming?

Its only alarming if you think that there will never be another technology capable of long exposures. Remeber when the P series first came out? No long exposure capabilities, then a breakthrough and we had up to 1 hour exposures using the same sensor.

Remain calm....I just looked outside and I can say with a tremendous amount of confidence that the sky is in no danger of falling :)

ondebanks

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:24 am »

Dude, with all due respect, you're one of three people on earth who gives a rat's ass about exposures over 1 minute.  ;)  Buy a P45+.  You don't need the 60-80MPs since things will be moving (presumably the attraction of the effect a la Michael Kenna). So get the rez you need, in a cheaper used back, with the chip you like. What's the issue?

Nick,

"What's the issue?". Ah, yes - remember that's what people said when Hasselblad closed the H system and all those H shooters cried foul! "What's the issue - you still have your H1's and H2's and all your current MFDBs in H fitting; what are you moaning about?" They were moaning about being cut off from future upgradability. Their horizons were being narrowed. That's what my issue is, also.

Not sure why you have this hate-on for Dalsa. A lot of people really like their chip and, as noted above, it offers some real advantages.

Whoa! Hate is a strong word! I am aggrieved that they put out sensors which are spec'ed so contrary to what I want. They hugely narrow my back choices for the camera platform I want (taking my fast M645 lenses - the Pentax can't, the Hasselblad can't). I feel myself being pushed out of the medium format that I have loved for 19 years.

Plus I basically blame them for killing Mamiya's ZD (camera and back) with such a godawful sensor as the FTF4052C.   :P

ondebanks

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:18 am »

Personally I have a hard time believing any "professionals" have a real need of a 1 hour exposure.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p45-long.shtml 
...scroll down to "More Than Academic"

And he didn't even mention the category of shooter who would most need this capability.

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

It's a pretty simple equation to me -

There are clearly some advantages that Phase One feels Dalsa offers that Kodak does not. One of them is not long exposure ability. There is no sensor that ticks off every box.

C'mon, Steve. For that sort of money? You should first and foremost get everything that a far cheaper, smaller format camera can do, and then some more. Not less.

I am not surprised at how dispassionate you are. I really didn't think that my invoking the history of photography and a philosophical cry of "how did we go backwards?" would resonate with the pros and the dealers. You guys only care about the bottom line, and if the tool does the job for you, you're happy. Philosophical musings are for amateur enthusiasts. Some people did get it, though.

If the P+ backs had never been developed, the omission wouldn't be noticed as much, except in comparison to DSLR long exposure.

And in comparison to film - that stuff that's been around for a century, you know?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »

Plus I basically blame them for killing Mamiya's ZD (camera and back) with such a godawful sensor as the FTF4052C.   :P

That same "godawful" sensor is what made the Valeo 22, Aptus 22 (and later the Aptus-II 5) become some of the best and most popular digital backs for studio work and for fashion

25 iso, great colour and sharpness, good live view and 0.9 sec/ frame. I know these are not your requirements but they were/ are for thousands of other people

You can't blame the sensor for the ZD's faults, sorry...

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

JDG

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »

You can't blame the sensor for the ZD's faults, sorry...

+1, Those 22mp Leaf backs were the cornerstone of so many photoshoots I worked on over the years.  Its a testament to the quality of MFD that a CCD from 2003 still produces better quality in studio than Canon and Nikon's 2011 offerings.  This should not be ignored when people wonder why MFD still uses CCD.  I'm sure CMOS is coming in the future, but if would only really give us bigger DSLR quality files do we really want it? 

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

C'mon, Steve. For that sort of money? You should first and foremost get everything that a far cheaper, smaller format camera can do, and then some more. Not less.

I am not surprised at how dispassionate you are. I really didn't think that my invoking the history of photography and a philosophical cry of "how did we go backwards?" would resonate with the pros and the dealers. You guys only care about the bottom line, and if the tool does the job for you, you're happy. Philosophical musings are for amateur enthusiasts. Some people did get it, though.

And in comparison to film - that stuff that's been around for a century, you know?

Ray -

You misrepresent, I might even say disparage, but... - and I will forgive you in advance - my motivation for assessing the situation with long exposure and Dalsa sensors. My perspective on these products comes from my knowledge and experience with that is required to produce them with the features they have or are not able to have.

So my perspective is that all products are a combination of features and compromises (and sometimes worse, glaring flaws).Often, in order to advance one feature, it comes at the expense of another. This, I think is obvious to most familiar with technology.

Considering that over the history of all digital back products, there have never been any that either are able to or were recommended to produce exposures more than 30-60 seconds (the P non Plus backs being a modest exception, with some capable of a few minutes, depending on which sensor).

The one very notable exception would be the Phase One P+ Series, who may easily do 15-30-45-60 minute exposures, dependent upon conditions. What was involved in the modifications to enable this that might potentially prevent advancement on some other performance element, who can say? But these were Kodak sensors, which are/were also purchased and used by Hasselblad, as well as Sinar in their digital backs. And yet, only the P+ backs had this capability. So, it is not an off the shelf capability, it requires a combination of some secret sauce and possibly some additional component or modification of existing components.

So, Ray - that is my perspective, understanding this, and knowing that the nature of technology frequently involves the addition or enhancement of features at the expense of others.

However - it is too bad that you chose to inaccuratley guess at and misrepresent me because I had just read your earlier posted rebuttal to Doug and I was going to post that I agree with your point, as well as your sentiment.

Well, I"ll give you the benefit of the doubt and go forward anyway.

I do agree, that having the ability to perform long exposures with the Phase One P+ backs, especially considering this could be involved already over numerous models of ownership very easily and naturally becomes a critical part of your business. After all, one may have bought a P25+, then 3 years later upgraded to a P45+, still maintaining the same ability, so over this period of time (4 - 5 years) surely it is something you're depended upon.

And I agree - the notion that there may never be another medium format product like that, the end of the pinnacle line for that capability is the P45+ and no future IQ and better products would have that ability - I agree that is, I don't know the word for it, Bad. It's not unresonable to expect that since this has continued across multiple sensors, it would be a staple of future development.

I don't glibly feel that hey, you have a P45+, just be happy. You might wish to continue this type of work 10 years ongoing or longer. And even if your P45+ still hung in there and did the job for you, you would like the option to have this capability to use along with future advancement. If for nothing else, at some point, a newer, more reliable product than a 9 or 12 year old product.

I agree.

So, understand, from what I say, that I do not possess a non-appreciation of your situation and circumstance. I do appreciate it. But I am also aware of the reasonings behind it, and challenges involved and my perspective also reflects that.

It could be interesting if Phase One, or Leaf, or even Hasselblad, decided to produce a new product that incorporated long exposure ability like the P+ backs do, perhaps a single specialized sku. But it would probably be expensive, because of the R&D pull away from other projects that will have more universal appeal.

But ultimately, I suspect it is possible this may be a temporary issue as it is my belief that within say, 5 years perhaps, some sort of lower power, more sensitive sensor technology will be incorporated into medium format. And it is likely this new technology would be able to more easily accomplish this while also remaining flexible enough to innovate in other areas.

Also, I understand your comment about film being around forever, but I was discussing the reference to digital products, with regard to my statement about DSLR long exposure contrasted to medium format.

Sorry for the rather long post.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 05:52:54 am »

Regardless of the issue under discussion, a healthy thank you to Steve and Doug for being so thoughtful. After some years of working with this gear, and numerous posts, it is commendable they still take the time to write at length and with patience. 
Geoff

bcooter

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 11:12:03 am »

I don't think Phase One screwed up, they just answered a few questions people have asked for 6 years.

If I have any issue is they just didn't go far enough, but that's probably dependent on their resources, balance sheet and who/where they intend to market their back.

I also don't have any problem with the price, it's totally in line with any specialty equipment, it's just if this is the lamborghini of the digital camera world I'd like it to be more adventuresome and offer me something I just couldn't do without, because at the end of the day, giving me the ability to shoot something I couldn't shoot before is the goal.

Then while anyone of us will admit it or not, there is the bling factor. 

I know it's typical understated Danish functional design, but when you drop 40 something large you'd kind of like clients to go wow, how much did that thing cost?

Phase took the high road and for that they should be commended.  Just take it up two more notches please.

IMO

BC

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:09 am »

Love the comparison.  The Epic IS damn sexy.  I need to find a way to justify the purchase.  LoL.  Fortunately I have months to get funds in place.

Maybe I'll start mounting my Arca on rods with my mattebox to make it look cooler.

bcooter

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 12:22:24 pm »

Love the comparison.  The Epic IS damn sexy.  I need to find a way to justify the purchase.  LoL.  Fortunately I have months to get funds in place.

Maybe I'll start mounting my Arca on rods with my mattebox to make it look cooler.

You kind of get the idea that if Leaf was running Phase instead of the other way around, you might see something that looked like the Epic, or at least this:

imo

bc

archivue

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 11:29:59 am »

Really?  My dusk exteriors are never more than 9 seconds.  Any longer and the interiors blow out.  My sweet spot is usually around 5 seconds at F/11.

Are you adding ND filters?

-Curious

with an aptus 22 (iso 25)... and a 35 xl with center filter... using F11-16... 9 seconds won't works !

i would like to see a picture made with an IQ back at 1min and 400 iso...

michael

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

I'm not sure that the comparison with the Epic makes sense.

Yes, the Phase back does follow the minimalist Danish design ethos, but I can't think of much that's left out.

A cinema camera such as the Epic, on the other hand, has to be designed for a broad range of ad-ons, from batteries, to monitors, to mics, to recorders, to follow focus devices, to matte boxes, etc, etc. It therefore needs a large number of attachment points, handles and other accessory rigs, which makes it look "cool", but also really bulks it up.

Form follows function, in both cases, it's just that the functions are so different.

Michael

bcooter

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »

I'm not sure that the comparison with the Epic makes sense.

Yes, the Phase back does follow the minimalist Danish design ethos, but I can't think of much that's left out.

A cinema camera such as the Epic, on the other hand, has to be designed for a broad range of ad-ons, from batteries, to monitors, to mics, to recorders, to follow focus devices, to matte boxes, etc, etc. It therefore needs a large number of attachment points, handles and other accessory rigs, which makes it look "cool", but also really bulks it up.

Form follows function, in both cases, it's just that the functions are so different.

Michael

Agreed.

What I really meant was more of a modular still camera, one without mirror, with larger (yes bigger is better) monitor(s).

I understand what Phase did and as I've said it makes sense and I think the screen looks great.   For many it may be well worth the price.   I wish they had done it sooner and with a different camera platform,  but I could say that about almost everything in the world of digital.

And RED is far from perfect.  Using the RED ONE is kind of like taking the motor out of a hummer and putting it on your shoulder.  

Still, RED really broke new territory at a price point.  The workflow is still in frustrating baby steps, the file is a way new learning experience, just buying a RED takes a long time, but the whole Idea of starting from scratch and coming so far is exciting and . . . and . . . when the RED ONE is in the room, everyone knows it.

The Phase back has a very elegant Leica look to it, the phase camera just looks a little out of place, but that's just me, because I like industrial strength equipment.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:19:32 pm by bcooter »

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »

with an aptus 22 (iso 25)... and a 35 xl with center filter... using F11-16... 9 seconds won't works !

i would like to see a picture made with an IQ back at 1min and 400 iso...

I'd tend to shoot that sort of scene at ISO 100 on the P65+.  I never stop my 35XL down past 8 1/2 and I don't use center filters, so yeah our exposure times would be worlds apart... 4 - 6 stops.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up