Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanner for Photo Archiving  (Read 1815 times)

Edalongthepacific

Scanner for Photo Archiving
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:42 am »

I am considering a new scanner for photo archiving and would like some recommendations. I am thinking 48 bit and about 8 X 14 or so.

bjammin

Re: Scanner for Photo Archiving
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:39 am »

I have been really pleased with the Epson Expression 750 scanner.  I have thousands of transparencies and negatives dating from the 1970's through my switch to digital a few years ago in sizes from 35 mm and 645 to 4 by 5 and it has handled all of them quite well.  It comes with holders for all standard formats.  The software is good, but not great, so I usually finish adjusting the raw files in either Photoshop or Lightroom and I've printed up to 13" by 19."

Here is a link to some photos I've taken.  Some are film transparencies or negative scans, some are with modern digital equipment.  See if you can tell the difference.
http://www.oregonstreetstudios.com/Image_Gallery

bjammin

David S

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »

I have been using the PowerSlide 3650 for slide scanning. It only handles 35mm slides but, so far, it does that quite well resulting in 3600x2400 scans. I use SilverFast scanning software in auto mode to scan 100 slides at a time. I have 10s of thousands to do and have no complaints using the braun grey round tray. Both Adorama and B&H sell the scanner. Final adjustments in Lightroom.

Dave

bjammin

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »

There are many paths to explore when scanning.  The scanner I got is the 750 Pro according to the outside of the scanner.  It came with both Epson Scanning software and and Silverfast software.  I usually use the Epson software when I am working with easy scans from Fuji Velvia and the like, but prefer the Silverfast software for Kodachrome and negatives.  Silerfast has some settings that can be optimized for some negative films which have different base dyes though more often than not I've had to figure out what was best for C-41 films by trial and error. It also offers Digital ICE dust removal which detects dust through evaluation of infrared light.  It really works.  You will really benefit from keeping notes and seeing what works best because once you figure out an emulsion, most things shot on the same emulsion will be pretty similar and you can start from your previous settings and just tweak a little for color balance and exposure a bit.

I generally scan at 48 bit color, 2,400 DPI and later reduce the size of the file by switching to 8 bit color with files optimized for 13 by 19 inch prints at 360 DPI, otherwise files get big quickly and storage space fills up fast. The scanner seems to have more than enough depth of field to capture old warped slides, though you might have to remove some older extremely warped slides and tape them directly to the glass.  This scanner came with a special anti newton-ring glass holder suitable for oil emulsion scanning, but I've never bothered to try out that process.  Everyone says that is the way to obtain the highest quality scans but the process is messy, time consuming, and can result in damage to the film or negative if not done carefully.

It is a very slow process.  It take me several days to work through a single Kodak 140 slide carrousel, but the results are worth it.

bjammin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:56:11 pm by bjammin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up