Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One V Hasselblad judgement  (Read 2735 times)

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Phase One V Hasselblad judgement
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:59 am »

Mentioned very briefly in the video of the Leaf/Phase interview was the fact that Phase had sued Hasselblad, and appeared to have won, opening the possibility of using third party backs of an H3, or even the H4.

Very interesting!!! As a Leaf AptusII owner who uses a H1, I almost wet myself with excitement!!!

Is it too soon to tell what will come of this? Is the judgement online anywhere?

Kind regards,
Jason Berge.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

sanzari

Re: Phase One V Hasselblad judgement
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:59 am »

Having played it back again I believe the comment was V series and H1 and H2 only. The H3 system and H4 is closed.

Not sure what that means, but I think it's significance is that unless you need true focus, then this has potential killed much of Hassleblad's new wave of upgrades for H1/2 users. They now have an option for more functionality and pixels on existing kit. Ouch.

I dont really know the systems , but my ears tell me the Phase One response was well worded and no comital. So its not a given and of course, Leaf already work on the H and V series so Phase One will be able to look at their sales numbers and decide what return there will be on developing a back. Likely I would say it will not be worth while.

The more interesting dynamic I was looking for is the Leaf Phase relationship. Now both have the same product and it looks like the Phase 1 is more sexy for the extra money, how long with Leaf exist given their market of openness on Hy6 and Contax has pretty much died, looks like Mamiya is the big bet for P1 ? I give Phase 1 more year as a brand and then it will be swallowed Im sure.

The are the speculations of an MF keen nut. I played with a Pentax the other day and the AF was quite good for MF. Not compared it to True Focus, but I was impressed. So I guess the pixel race won by Phase will move the market to camera functionality and useability.

All MF companies will have to find new markets, new users. I cannot wait to watch this, in the meantime I dribble over a IQ back, if only I was 15 years younger and single. !!

photo570

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:20:30 am »

Listen between 10.30min and 11.30min, specifically 10.53min, The H3 is specifically mentioned by Michael, and although Kevin responds cautiously with a "we'll have to see how that shakes out" and then he adds after the edit, " that is an obstacle that has gone away" he does not say "No that will not happen". I find what was not said almost more intriguing than what was.

I understand the need to be diplomatic on the part of all the participants, but I for one am genuinely excited about the possibility of this, and would be glad of clarification. I presume that the decision would be one on the public record in the country that the case was herd.

Kind regards,
Jason.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:22:54 am by photo570 »
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »

Wikileaks should be releasing the documents any day now

photo570