Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Words and Pictures  (Read 1317 times)

Rob C

Words and Pictures
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

Another question that may cause despair - if so, it's only 'cause I know no better, so please forgive!?

Combining images created via Photoshop with text created via Word.

I would, of course, like to be able to do chunks of text via PS, but the facilities I find within the big T tool (in PS 6) don't work smoothly that way other than as simple titles for pictures. So, if I want to create a paragraph of text and drop in a picture in any precise spot that I want, I should...?

The intention is to make a small website using Weebly (as is my own existing photography site) because my knowledge of HTML etc. is less than zero, a definite minus number, and I'm just too ancient to feel I have either the time left for new learning curves or fresh tricks beyond the few I still remember. Is there a simple, foolproof way of designing such pages using the system I already have?

Rob C

welder

Re: Words and Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:49 pm »

Copy-and-paste will work fine from Word to PS. You can draw a text box with your T tool and the paste text into there and adjust the size of the box as you wish. Of course you won't get any text wrap functionality if you drop a picture in over the text.

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »

Rob,

I believe there are a number of very inexpensive, if not free, HTML editors out there. Don't let the name scare you, as these new applications are used basically like a page layout program, but they generate HTML. YOu can create text boxes which you can format and edit just like Word (OK, almost like Word) and combine images into the layout. They also make things like links, backgrounds and such very easy.

Do a quick Google search for WSYWIG HTML editor for your operating system and you'll come up with quite a few.

I know you will get responses from people here who are much more adept at HTML and they'll tell you how easy it is to learn, but I'm with you on this. The last thing I need to learn is HTML...I'm much too busy with the whole needles and eyes thing that I'm sure will be a more pleasant experience than learning HTML  :)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:41 pm »

Rob

I would perhaps add to Joe's answer in suggesting that although in theory you may not need to know HTML to use a 'What you see is what you get editor' it can make life a lot easier if you have some idea of how it works. Although I use Expression Web I did trial a freebie known as Sea Monkey which was quite hopeless in comparison, others may be better but I haven't tried them. If you use a hosting company that offers cPanel as its site management software then that comes with it's own HTML and plain text editor, however, the former is no better than Sea Monkey and you can end up with pages on the site that differ from those on your PC which can get confusing and drain the enthusiasm to put it politely. Another problem with HTML is that it is only just the start, there are Frames, Tables and of course CSS which is now regarded as the proper way of doing things but Tables can be so quick to put together once the idea for the layout has gelled.

However you create the pages it is still only part of the job for you will then need to upload them to the server and check them over various browser and operating systems to ensure they work as intended. Using a CMS application as you already do is much the easier method although it is limited in flexibility. I don't know about your version of PS but CS does have a facility for creating a web gallery automatically although again you are faced with getting onto onto the net once built, and they look a bit dated to be honest. Example here - 57th Chapter

There are other CMS gallery options like Coppermine but you still need a hosting package, domain name and then install by creating a database, unzipping the download file and so on and on. I use Coppermine for snapshots but I don't consider it ideal for art orientated photography at all. Here's what I mean www.tipperarymotorspeedway.ie gallery/. Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal also have gallery plug ins but to be honest these can be as demanding as a bit of simple HTML and you still need a hosting package.

Putting a website together can be a big step, I was messed about by three so called 'professional designers' (one of whom is known to us both) so sat down and taught myself. I'm now upping my skills with a course and will probably take it further still as it does attract an odd Euro or two, unlike the photography!

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:47:27 am »

Thanks for your inputs to what must be a complicated question or, rather, one that has no easy answer for dummies!

I'm currently trying to get pics together so I suppose I can avoid the nail-biting experience for a little longer, but I know I must eventually face it or think of something else.

Cheers

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up