Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architectural Photogs - What Kit do you like and why ?  (Read 18840 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Architectural Photogs - What Kit do you like and why ?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »

Kirk,

How could that be? Increased dynamic range would reduce the need for fill flash, but what about using flash for directional light?

I would guess that this would depend on your style, your clients, and the kinds of subjects you typically shoot.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »

Absolutely. Most of my clients are architects who want photos to reflect their lighting. Oftentimes with film we had to light the crap out of spaces just to get them to look on film vaguely like they looked to the eye. We are getting to a place with digital where that native lighting look is getting easier.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »

While on this subject, do those who have used both formats see any difference in the amount of sensor bloom between the formats?  Except perhaps in very small amounts, this is an artifact I don't care for.  With film, a little bit of halation and/or flare could sometimes add a bit of an atmospheric effect, but I don't think sensor bloom is as useful in this regard.  I am thinking of this particularly with regard to interiors and very bright lights or windows.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »

I find it to be a problem with either camera (Canon or Mamiya/P45).  It's something that's time consuming to retouch too.  Sometimes I'll use strobe to light the window and frame after capturing my main bracket than blend it in.  Jim

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »

Yeah, it's not nearly as organic.  I shot this on Tri-X 35mm.  I friggin love the halation!

I do find my P65+ to handle these areas much better than my 5d2.  The transition from high key to blown out is softer, more gradual and it exhibits less to no purple fringing.

CB
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up