Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Architectural Photogs - What Kit do you like and why ?  (Read 18838 times)

adammork

Re: Architectural Photogs - What Kit do you like and why ?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »

I gladly use a 5DII, and I take no personal issue with comments about the gear, but I don't get the plastic camera comments. They never make sense. The CF card door on the 5DII sucks but otherwise it's a solid little camera, with a full metal chassis: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5dmarkii/page5.asp

It's the feel of the camera that I don't like - it's completely subjective - I just an other feeling handling a D3/x than the 5D - totally other feeling IMO

From an objective point of view, you are right, it's a very good little camera.....

Again, if we are talking of joy in the process of creating images regarding cameras nothing comes even close to my Alpa's - but the new lenses from canon get's the job done and done good - and yes, please update that 45 mm ts  ;)

tesfoto

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »

5DII and 1DsIII have the same sensor. I find it funny someone can see a difference. Does that difference exist in print? Most likely not. Can't say I have ever seen it on screen either.

I am not here to argue with you, you believe what you want.

Cheers, T
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:59:02 pm by tesfoto »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

I'm not sure that which Canon camera body we use has much ultimately to do with the discussion at hand. The difference between a IDsMIII and a 5D MKII body is subtle compared to where we were say as late as 6 years ago shooting 4x5 film in view cameras. Obviously a number of us are shooting FF DSLR's with T/S lenses and satisfying our client and our personal demands. This to me is a bit of a watershed development in the long rich history of AP. I hung onto film longer than most and made the jump when the first 5D came out. A couple of years later with the new wide T/S lenses and the 5DMKII there is already a big IQ leap. What is coming next? A jump of a couple more stops of dynamic range would make allot of my remaining lighting unnecessary. A more refined type of HDR would contribute allot too. Whats down the road? More AP video? I am doing some of that too for the first time. I'm really a still guy, but what the heck-if there is a real market for it........
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Hoang

• http://www.hxpham.com
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:58 pm »

So do you guys all use Manfrotto 410 heads? What sort of tripod heads do you use?

tesfoto

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »

So do you guys all use Manfrotto 410 heads? What sort of tripod heads do you use?

One of the best investment I ever made was to get the Arca C1 Cube, expensive but worth every penny.

I had the Manfrotto 405 and 410 before the C1, nice ok heads but nothing like the Cube.

Remember that the sharpest lens in your bag, is your tripod.....

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 07:15:19 pm »

I've used the 410 for many years for my view cameras (yes, I still use them) and for my DSLRs. Its cheap and solid as a rock. I ran over one once and it jammed up good on an out-of-town shoot. I pounded on it with a rock-freed it up and am still using it today.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:16:53 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

tesfoto

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »

Kirk, did you ever try the Cube ?

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »

and what about the Arca Swiss D4 ? or D4m ?

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »

I love my Cube.  I was fine using the 410 for years, but now that I'm used to the Cube I hate using the 410.  I thought the Cube was expensive, then I went shopping for fluid heads.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:28 pm »

Kirk, did you ever try the Cube ?

Nope. I look at cost vs. benefit and I just can't see it. I might change my mind if I tried it but..........understand I used a 50 year old, highly modified Calumet Widefield for shooting 4x5 film for commercial architecture for many many years. Cost vs. benefit-the Calumet cost me $175.00 (no s__t!-used in like 1990). I consistently had students at SAIC that had better cameras than I did. The Calumet did everything I needed it to (like take a 47mm XL lens on a flat lens board) and was virtually indestructible-but I had the finest lenses in the world. Could you run over the Cube, pound it back into shape with a rock and go on shooting?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:33:47 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 02:42:51 am »

What is coming next? A jump of a couple more stops of dynamic range would make allot of my remaining lighting unnecessary.

Kirk,

How could that be? Increased dynamic range would reduce the need for fill flash, but what about using flash for directional light?

MY SITE: AL

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:08 am »

I keep getting tempted by Canon and the T/S lenses. I know a couple of dealers here, and I've handled the cameras and lenses for hours on end. The files are more than good enough to satisfy almost any client, the lenses are sharp and everything will fit into a regular camera bag. But, there's no joy. The Sinar is a beast, the Betterlight has heavy cables and must always be tethered, there's an IR filter to remember to put on and off, but as I see the image coming up on the screen, I'm happy that I didn't get the Canon...

Kumar

Michael Heinrich

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 05:44:26 am »

For my architectural work I use a 5DII with T/S and also a SINAR Artec with some lenses and the Emotion 75 Back.
The quality of the Canon Files is really good, even for large images.

But my personal experience is that the results with the SINAR are better, but not for technical reasons.
For my kind to see architecture the workflow with the SINAR is perfect, slow, but perfect.
Interiors are really fine with the 5D tethered, but for the rest the MF is my choice.
(Perhaps only because I would be a fool buying the MF and using the Canon)

Michael

www.mhfa.de

IanB

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:39 am »

At the risk of being contentious, I'd like to suggest another answer to the OP's original question. As an architect who takes photographs I have to say there is one absolutely fundamental piece of kit that separates the really good architectural photographers from the also-rans - a well-developed knowledge of the subject. If you want to access higher-end clients that is the one thing which will make the difference - far more so than a new camera or lens. ;D ;D

Sorry - couldn't resist the tease. But I am being serious at the same time.

tesfoto

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:40 am »

At the risk of being contentious, I'd like to suggest another answer to the OP's original question. As an architect who takes photographs I have to say there is one absolutely fundamental piece of kit that separates the really good architectural photographers from the also-rans - a well-developed knowledge of the subject. If you want to access higher-end clients that is the one thing which will make the difference - far more so than a new camera or lens. ;D ;D

Sorry - couldn't resist the tease. But I am being serious at the same time.

I absolutely agree. That goes without saying.

You simply have to understand architecture, space and light to be able to photograph successful.

A lot of architectural photography is just plain commercials, looking all dressed up, but have no sensibility or understanding of light and architectural spaces.

Most successful architectural photographers that I know of have some kind of education within architecture (and none within photography)......

Michael Heinrich

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »

I absolutely agree. That goes without saying.

You simply have to understand architecture, space and light to be able to photograph successful.

A lot of architectural photography is just plain commercials, looking all dressed up, but have no sensibility or understanding of light and architectural spaces.

Most successful architectural photographers that I know of have some kind of education within architecture (and none within photography)......

I wrote a book about architectural photography and about 80% is about the relation between architecture and photography, 20% technique.
I am an architect and I have an education as a photographer, but I disagree.

The best photographers have a lot of knowledge about architecture, but the most successful photographers are those with new ideas in marketing and advertising.

Michael Heinrich

Michael Heinrich

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:57 pm »

I wrote a book about architectural photography and about 80% is about the relation between architecture and photography, 20% technique.
I am an architect and I have an education as a photographer, but I disagree.

The best photographers have a lot of knowledge about architecture, but the most successful photographers are those with new ideas in marketing and advertising.

Michael Heinrich

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

Words of wisdom, which is one reason (I also just happen to love architecture) why I hang out with architects, sit in on and participate in design reviews at the local university, am very involved in the AIA and historic preservation projects (not just photographing-but doing the dirty work) and teach in two university architecture schools and one historic preservation department. You need to speak the language.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:06:44 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:08 pm »

FWIW, here is a recent nice little Blurb portfolio of one of my favorite award winning local architects. The photographs are about 95% mine with a few by the architect and one building shot by Timothy Hursley. The whole book can be previewed.    Jon Anderson Architecture
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:02:30 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

tesfoto

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »

FWIW, here is a recent nice little Blurb portfolio of one of my favorite award winning local architects. The photographs are about 95% mine with a few by the architect and one building shot by Timothy Hursley. The whole book can be previewed.    Jon Anderson Architecture

Congratulations Kirk, it looks very good, I could almost be tempted to purchase one.

Did you do the design ?

Cheers, T
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up