Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useless  (Read 6462 times)

Joe Behar

Re: Useless
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »

Thanks Eric,

Just to be clear, I don't shoot 8x10 film, but with a couple of push pins the hangers make very unique print frames...you still want to get rid of them?

tokengirl

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

Lowe Pro Dryzone 200. I once fell into a pond, barely managing to keep the 5D and 300 2.8L above my head. Told myself it would never happen again and bought the Dryzone. Started daydreaming about fancy photographic adventures in hostile locations. There was only one problem though: the bag was so cumbersome to use I spent more time packing/unpacking stuff than taking pictures.

+1.  Including the bit about falling into the water.  Really.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:17 am »

A Sigma 18-125 lens- it's as soft as baby porridge.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 10:21:01 am »

Any book that's going to teach you to make "good photographs." Barnes & Noble and Borders are full of them. As Justin pointed out that kind of book is nothing but an ego trip for the author.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:22:30 am »

Any book that's going to teach you to make "good photographs." Barnes & Noble and Borders are full of them. As Justin pointed out that kind of book is nothing but an ego trip for the author.

But you haven't actually bought one of those, have you, Russ?

I bought the Adobe book for PS 7 and it was so opaque that I didn't even play the cd that came stuck inside it, never mind buy the programme!

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 11:48:45 am »

Actually, Rob, I have. But, as Elliott Erwitt said about the time he printed two negatives sandwiched together: "I was [young], didn't know any better, and I soon got over it."

I bought the Adobe book for PS 7 and it was so opaque that I didn't even play the cd that came stuck inside it, never mind buy the programme!

Yes. Adobe's "classroom in a book" books all have two things in common: (1) they're way over-priced, and (2) they'd be no bargain at half the price.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »

I consider my computer to be part of my photographic gear and Russ seems to agree.

After 20 years of using a Mac I have turned up to my new job yesterday to find that I was given a PC to use. I work as an illustrator/graphic designer and so I do a lot of drawing as well as photography at work. Being a Mac user I have used one click mouses for 20 years.

I previously posted the Arctic Butterfly as the most useless photographic object but if you include computers then the subject of the mouse comes up. I have used a mouse 7 hours a day to draw with for years.

So the most useless object that I have used is, to be heretical, the round Mac mouse. What a useless piece of $*%*^%$ &%$$%$ that was.

Not to be confused, coming a very close second is the standard PC mouse. Having 20 years experience using a Mac mouse with a straight finger click, moving my finger 15° to the left to click is unnatural and unacceptable. So on the first day of my new job, the first thing I did after work was to go to a computer shop and by a Logiteck PC mouse that ergonomically positions my finger for a straight click. Hopefully that will solve the problem or there will be a lot of mouses bouncing off walls.

As a result of thinking about this I had the insight to go to the system preference of my new Mac and to turn off the right click on my new mighty mouse. I now have a straight click and scroll wheel less scrolling. Having used Adobe products for years the left hand is used for keyboard shortcuts and in this case right clicks with the control key. All is good in the world, I'm happy!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »

Rob C

In my case, the dreadful book was given to me as a present; I still feel sad for the person who paid such a large amount of money for a paper-made paperweight.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up