Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grassi Lake, Canmore, AB (photo-essay-promo)  (Read 1848 times)

c_soars

• DIN27
Grassi Lake, Canmore, AB (photo-essay-promo)
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »

For the last 2 or 3 years, my family and I have gone to Canmore, a small mountain town just outside Banff National park in the Canadian Rockies.  Generally we go for thanksgiving in October, which can mean anything from a light dusting of snow to full on hardpack on the trails and iced up streams.  The tradition is to do the little 45min hike up to the lake and back down again, the following serves to illustrate and explain.

I recommend getting there in the early morning, as the water will be quite still and you can capture the colours and reflections.

In the fall there can be some nice moss amongst the stream that flows from the lake down to the reservoir
(pardon the limited DOF, I did not have a tripod)

There are 2 options to climb up or down, one is a rocky single path with some rock staircases and stream crossings.  Near the top the trail is on the rock, cutting through the conifers.  The other option is a long fire road, which people of all ages can easily use to get to the lakes.

Grassi lake is actually named after Lawrence Grassi, an Italian Immigrant who settled in the area and climbed/explored some of the peaks and passes.  This September a friend and I decided to scramble Ha-Ling peak, which adjoins Mt. Lawrence Grassi.  The first photo shows Grassi peak from Ha-Ling, the following looks down off Ha-Ling into the Bow Valley

The preceding photos were grab shots, as in every case I was with other people (non-photographers), and only carrying minimal gear (1 camera/lens).  I hope to do some more summits, but bring MF gear & a tripod when I do!

Canmore can be cheap, as you don't need to pay for a park pass, and there are many hiking/scrambling routes in the surrounding mountains.  If you're going back country, I'd recommend carrying some bear spray, which can be purchased at some of the outdoor shops on main street.  The town boasts some excellent restaurants, such as CrazyWeed, and isn't as choked with tourists as Banff.

Hope you enjoyed having a look, and maybe you'll consider it if you plan to head into the Rockies for some hiking or camping. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:28:19 pm by c_soars »

DickKirkley

Re: Grassi Lake, Canmore, AB (photo-essay-promo)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Thanks for posting that great series. Your timing was good. I have just started planning a lengthy camping/ camera trip out West. I am originally from out that way but now live in Ontario. Our trip will take us to Utah and Yosemite first but if time and weather permit we will also visit family in BC and Alberta on the way home.

I used to spent my summers working in and around Banff and my wife is from Hinton Alta. So we know ,or at least once knew, the area. But Lake Grazzi looks interesting and we hate crowds. So thanks again.

Oh and I actually think the lack of DoF makes your mossy stream image the best  of the bunch.

Cheers

Dick K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up