Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conservation of unmounted Hahnemühle papers  (Read 1031 times)

printtisaku

Conservation of unmounted Hahnemühle papers
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:50:13 am »

I am wondering a very basic problem, but failed to find the answer on Google: if a Hahnemühle photographic paper, say, photorag pearl, is hung in a frame without mounting, does it warp over time like photographs used to?

Cordially,
Sakari

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Conservation of unmounted Hahnemühle papers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »

I am wondering a very basic problem, but failed to find the answer on Google: if a Hahnemühle photographic paper, say, photorag pearl, is hung in a frame without mounting, does it warp over time like photographs used to?

Cordially,
Sakari
You need to provide more details about how this is being fixed to the frame before anyone can give you a reasonable answer. 

printtisaku

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:31:33 pm »

I do not know, because I am not doing the framing myself. However, you seem to say that unless properly fixed, it will warp, because otherwise the fixing wouldn't be of any importance?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:51 pm »

I do not know, because I am not doing the framing myself. However, you seem to say that unless properly fixed, it will warp, because otherwise the fixing wouldn't be of any importance?
I haven't used this particular paper but have framed a great number of prints.  I print leaving at least 1/2 inch margin around the image and mount the print using Mylar corners on foamboard with an overmat (4 ply) that covers the borders of the print.  I have not detected any buckling or waviness of prints.  You should check with whoever is doing the framing and find out what technique is being used.  A useful primer on mounting is here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up