Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

Re: Enter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

Russ. Thanks. :)

tokengirl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:11 am »

Love the simplicity and tones.  So what is it?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:18:55 am »

Love the simplicity and tones.  So what is it?
It's obviously the door to the Next Level of Enlightenment!

Very nice, Stamper!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

It's obviously the door to the Next Level of Enlightenment!

Very nice, Stamper!

Eric

Nonsense, Eric. Didn't you see the scratch marks? It's an oven.

A Scottish oven. They roast a seasonal haggis in them (alive!) and these poor creatures are always on their short legs trying, in manner most futile, to avoid entry just like your national turkeys. Why do you think they were denied entry into the US for so long? (Haggie, not turkeys.) PC means more than computers, you know, and the RSPCA is ever alert, which is why these traditional ovens are now hidden away, along with the real stills for the single malt.

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »

While the tonality is nice, I find the cropping awkward and the whole image needs to be rotated about a quarter to a half degree counterclockwise. The bottom and top edges of the hatch are not parallel, which makes me think you were shooting at an angle to the hull (or whatever it is). The whole composition seems a bit off to me, and ultimately the subject matter just doesn't grab me. Frankly, I've seen you do much more compelling work than this.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »

I like it!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »

Very good. I'm a sucker for doors and gates but I've nothing quite like this.

Jeremy

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »

I like it.  the diagonal lines break up the relative symmetry of the door/hatch in a way that is pleasing to the eye.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:08:02 am »

While the tonality is nice, I find the cropping awkward and the whole image needs to be rotated about a quarter to a half degree counterclockwise. The bottom and top edges of the hatch are not parallel, which makes me think you were shooting at an angle to the hull (or whatever it is). The whole composition seems a bit off to me, and ultimately the subject matter just doesn't grab me. Frankly, I've seen you do much more compelling work than this.

I used the top of the door as a level in Photoshop. As to the rest I could have used the transform> skew but there wasn't any point? It is a sort of abstraction? I am trying to do something different from my "usual" and I found this after a trawl through my folders. This was in the dregs and I thought, why not? I am pleasantly surprised with the mostly positive feedback and I am looking for more that is "different". :)

BTW. I worked in a naval shipyard for three years and believe me these type of doors are never the proper shape. This is probably one of the best, shape wise. It is difficult to burn a square, or oblong shape properly in metal when it is cold, miserable and damp and everybody is throwing insults, and other things at you because the sparks from the torch are flying everywhere. ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:14:24 am by stamper »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:19 am »

I used the top of the door as a level in Photoshop. As to the rest I could have used the transform> skew but there wasn't any point? It is a sort of abstraction? I am trying to do something different from my "usual" and I found this after a trawl through my folders. This was in the dregs and I thought, why not? I am pleasantly surprised with the mostly positive feedback and I am looking for more that is "different". :)

BTW. I worked in a naval shipyard for three years and believe me these type of doors are never the proper shape. This is probably one of the best, shape wise. It is difficult to burn a square, or oblong shape properly in metal when it is cold, miserable and damp and everybody is throwing insults, and other things at you because the sparks from the torch are flying everywhere. ;)

Stamper, did you ever work at Stephens (or was that Stevens?) yard? Had a friend who started with me in another company and he moved on, too, in his case to the above yard (as unit photographer) and I into the commercial zone.

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:18 am »

Rob, I worked in Yarrows from 1971 till 1974 as an electrician. Glad I got out of it and into a place that was less dangerous!
Pages: [1]   Go Up