Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Monitor Cleaning  (Read 14263 times)

Enchanter

LCD Monitor Cleaning
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:34 am »

What is the best way to clean an expensive LCD monitor screen?

I've heard that 50% Isopropyl alcohol, 50% distilled water on a very soft cotton cloth or microfiber cloth is okay. However, I'd rather get opinions from people on here first.

Thanks

Matt
Wellington, New Zealand

Paul Sumi

Re: LCD Monitor Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:36:53 am »

Glossy or matte screen?

FWIW, I clean the screen of my NEC 2690 (matte screen) with a *barely* damp (well wrung out) soft lint-free cloth.  Water only.  I wipe just enough to clean off the dust that seems to collect over time.

I stay clear of the bezel surrounding the LCD so no moisture can get into the electronics .  I don't spray anything on the screen for the same reason.

I do this about once a month, when I recalibrate my monitor.

I try not to be too obsessive-compulsive about getting the screen absolutely spotless, similar to my philosophy of sensor cleaning.

All the usual IMO, YMMV, and definitely no guarantees, expressed or implied.

Paul

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:45:44 am by Paul Sumi »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:10:27 am »

There are LCD screen sprays available.  When you read the active agents they're basically a diluted Windex but without harsh additives like ammonia, citric's, and so forth.

For years and years I use the very plain Windex, sprayed on a Scott's napkin, and then gently on the sceen.  The napkin becomes very soft with the dampness.. and a clean napkin is less likely to be contaminated with a piece of grit or sand..

Works great.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:13:14 am »

+1 on water damped tissue here. Only when necessary.

I'm getting concerned that they do need regular vacuum cleaning around the vents at the back though. My older (6yrs+) NECs have developed a curious darkening at the top of the screen that may be contaminants  inside.

Paul
PA271

Enchanter

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:07 am »

Thanks for your reply gentlemen. My main monitor is a PA271W and as it cost me around $2,600 of my dollars (had to import it from B&H at $385 freight plus import taxes) I don't want to damage it.

Stunning display though and worth the money to me.

Wellington, New Zealand

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:44:15 am »

There are LCD screen sprays available.  When you read the active agents they're basically a diluted Windex but without harsh additives like ammonia, citric's, and so forth.

For years and years I use the very plain Windex, sprayed on a Scott's napkin, and then gently on the sceen.  The napkin becomes very soft with the dampness.. and a clean napkin is less likely to be contaminated with a piece of grit or sand..

Works great.
The manual for my NEC 3090 says water only, which may be accurate, or may be to protect themselves from lawsuits by people who used other substances such as a mixture of toothpaste and ashes, but so far I have used only a bulb blower for obvious dust or particles on the screen, and a large microfiber cloth moistened with distilled water.  I've been afraid to try something like Eclipse Fluid, which I've been using for 10 years to clean my DSLR AA filters.

I would also be afraid to use a napkin because of the likelihood of wood or cellulose fiber content.

Gemmtech

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:51:00 am »

I always follow the manufacturers recommendations, from NEC PA series up to and including PA301

"Clean the LCD monitor surface with a lint-free, non-abrasive cloth. Avoid using any
cleaning solution or glass cleaner!"

Cleaning the LCD Panel
• When the LCD is dusty, please gently wipe with a soft cloth.
• Please do not rub the LCD panel with hard or coarse material.
• Please do not apply pressure to the LCD surface.
• Please do not use OA cleaner as it will cause deterioration or discoloration on the LCD surface.

Cleaning the Cabinet
• Unplug the power supply
• Gently wipe the cabinet with a soft cloth
• To clean the cabinet, dampen the cloth with a neutral detergent and water, wipe the cabinet and follow with a dry cloth.
NOTE: Many plastics are used on the surface of the cabinet. DO NOT clean with benzene, thinner, alkaline detergent,
alcoholic system detergent, glass cleaner, wax, polish cleaner, soap powder, or insecticide. Do not touch rubber or
vinyl to the cabinet for a long time. These types of fl uids and fabrics can cause the paint to deteriorate, crack or peel.

http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/UserManuals/PA_Series_UserManual.pdf

I always stayed away from alcohol and ammonia

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »

Microfiber cloth and iKlear.

http://www.klearscreen.com/
Gerald J Skrocki

ctz

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:45 am »

+1

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:56:36 am »

The manual for my NEC 3090 says water only, which may be accurate, or may be to protect themselves from lawsuits by people who used other substances such as a mixture of toothpaste and ashes, but so far I have used only a bulb blower for obvious dust or particles on the screen, and a large microfiber cloth moistened with distilled water.  I've been afraid to try something like Eclipse Fluid, which I've been using for 10 years to clean my DSLR AA filters.

I would also be afraid to use a napkin because of the likelihood of wood or cellulose fiber content.
I use water at times.. but I find water doesn't 'clean' as well which requires more 'rubbing', lots more.  I'd rather rub less.

I don't use all napkins.. but once when sick I discovered Scott napkins.  You may laugh, but after trying a bunch of brands they were the only ones that could handle the... well.. abuse.. and not rub my nose raw.  So, been using them for years, and when dampened they don't hurt screens.

Eclipse fluid won't hurt your screens either.. but it evaporates too fast to be useful and costs too much.

I'd agree this subject the manufacturers are CYA on this topic.. but it really is a common sense thing.  Don't use solvents (paint thinner, acetone, etc), don't use heavy cleaners (ammonia, pine sols, etc), or abrasives..

So far I've kept LCD screens as long as 5-6 years without any noticeable wear on the panels.  Currently my NEC's are doing fine too..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Plekto

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:44 am »

I use the only plastic polish that I know of that won't scratch or dull the finish.  It's made by Novus.  Specifically their #1 spray.    They invented the first "nanotechnology" polish back in the early 70s and had a patent on it, which expired a bit over a decade ago.  When is why you suddenly saw half a dozen companies making the stuff all at once in the mid 90s.

I use a microfiber cloth with it every few months.  It does take quite a bit of (gentle) effort to get the surface perfectly clean.  It also works for clear-coat finishes, though it evaporates in a few days.  It's really just a cleaner/prep.  The #2 which has some grit in it will de-yellow your headlights on your car as well as anything on the market.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Tom01

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »

It's my first post on this forum, so hello all members.

LCD display is not the space technology. Only a lot of plastic. I'm using many years cheap windows fluid, and none of the monitors is not dissolved. Only need to be careful not to polish dry.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:27:57 pm by Tom01 »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24:27 pm »

sprayway (available at costco).  this originally was sold for use on airplane windshields

no paper!!!!!  ever! on anything other than glass

howardm

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:49 pm »

Chemtronics Screen Prep

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:30:54 am »

We have more displays/touch monitors at work than I care to count, and when we need to clean them (which is often) we use Pledge Electronics Cleaner: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/225590/Pledge-Electronics-Cleaner-9-Oz/.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Plekto

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »

Almost all of these sprays are copies of the older Novus product since they lost their 20 year patent exclusivity in the early 90s.   It'll last longer (more product/larger bottle for your dollar) and work just as well if you just get the original.

One thing, though is that ALL of these cleaners will discolor the screen's anti-glare coating slightly so that you need to do the entire thing at once or else you'll have odd results.    Most also require quite a bit of effort to get off and to produce a streak-free result.  A microfiber cloth is an absolute must.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:11:34 pm by Plekto »

BradSmith

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:36 pm »

Seems like people are using water or any of about 10 different LCD screen cleaners quite successfully.   Let's look at this another way.  Have any of you ever cleaned an LCD screen with any liquid that has harmed it?

Brad

David Hufford

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:49 pm »

Seems like people are using water or any of about 10 different LCD screen cleaners quite successfully.   Let's look at this another way.  Have any of you ever cleaned an LCD screen with any liquid that has harmed it?

Brad

No. Have never harmed an LCD, but then again I never used harsh cleaners. I have recently been using Olympus HyperClean---not because it is anything special, and despite the fact that it has silicone in it, but because I have it on hand and it is of no use to me for anything else as it tends to smear and leave a film. Can't see the smear nor film on my screen though. My monitor is iMac, not a precision optical instrument by far. The innards will be dead or obsolete long before the monitor screen is worn out.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:17 am »

Hello,

I used to take a wet microfiber, wring it out until it is nearly dry, and then wipe the monitor.

But I was told that microfiber could destroy the surface, so I'm not sure what to do.
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Plekto

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 11:55:11 am »

Well, anything will potentially mar the surface if you grind it hard enough into the surface.  I use one of those microfiber cloths that you get at the optometrists office and very little pressure.  And a lot of elbow grease as you can get something off gently with enough arm-work and patience. (versus just attacking it in 5 seconds)

If you treat it almost exactly like you would (or *should* - heh) your camera lens, you 'll be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up