Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: sad shift to advertising  (Read 15240 times)

John Camp

Re: sad shift to advertising
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:46:27 pm »

Schewe is like some kind of reverse-advertising. Everytime he hits his keyboard something comes out that is so aggressive, rude and dismissive that you think for one moment it was written by Phil Askey! You trying to drive people off this site, Jeff?

I'll see your Phil Askey and raise you a Fred Picker...

Uh, wait, I might have gone too far. I was the first to jump in here, so I'll add that while I think Schewe needs to be smacked every once in a while, he's worth having around for his expertise on Lightroom & etc. And I've said before, that's *despite* his sometimes caustic ways. And Jeff, you don't have to attach a smiley to everything you say, but you know, once in a while wouldn't hurt...I don't think we've had one yet this century.

As I said in my first post, I was *slightly* unhappy with the advertising thing, because I do think it may have some influence on what people write. Reichmann was idiosyncratic enough, and rich enough, that I never really thought of what he did as *reviews* as much as running commentaries, and there was enough bad said that I then appreciated the good, and trusted the commentaries.

However, along with this advertising change, it seems like there have been other changes behind the scenes. And while I have no *right* to know, I'm curious -- has the ownership changed? Are there new managers? Has Reichmann either retired or gone into semi-retirement (I note that he closed his gallery in Toronto, and now spends winter in Mexico.) I'm not demanding to know this, but it's sort of like seeing a major change on your block -- you're curious about it, and wonder how it changes the neighborhood.

JC
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:51:46 pm by John Camp »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »

Schewe is like some kind of reverse-advertising. Everytime he hits his keyboard something comes out that is so aggressive, rude and dismissive that you think for one moment it was written by Phil Askey.

Wow, that's a low blow, wait, who's Phil Askey?

"aggressive, rude and dismissive" that's me...as for trying to drive people off the site, not at all. Couldn't really care much one way or the other...

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

I think the wink smiley works pretty well  ;)

Thus suggesting that you not take the comment that seriously a bit tongue in cheek shall we say.
I don't have a problem with Jeff he's got some excellent knowledge to share and that's a benefit to all it's just sometimes things can be taken the wrong way or be a tad harsh.

TimG

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 11:45:01 pm »

Schewe is just being Schewe.  Nothing to see here, move along.

dreed

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

Why?

It's not so much the impact of advertising, but rather the implication that the product being sold by the website is no longer enough to be self sustaining.

But alas I don't know if that's due to rising costs or declining sales (or both!)

... so why does that make me sad? Because I considered it rather cool that the LL website produced its own content in order to generate funds to survive.  Now it seems to have fallen victim to meme that for a website on the Internet to be successful/viable, it needs to somehow incorporate advertising.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:04:40 am by dreed »

michael

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 12:13:56 am »

No, I have not retired. No, there has been no change in ownership, other than Mark Dubovoy coming in as a minority shareholder. The principals of LuLa are myself, Mark and my long time business partner Chris Sanderson.

The advertising expansion is because of the site's growth. We are now spending a great deal of money on developing the site's software and capabilities for future growth and expansion and that's expensive.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:45:35 am by michael »

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:24 am »

In a world where websites often come and go almost as rapidly as camera manufacturers turn over their models it is good to
hear that plans for the long-term future of LuLa are being made. The thought that LuLa might outlive us appeals to me . . .  ;)
Regards, HILTON

viewfinder

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 05:31:33 am »

Whats really being discussed here is integrity and whether/how it gets lost due to the pressures of advertising,....however, would you 'trust' someone to give you information about, say, 'Lightroom' when they have claimed that HCB was just another photo pro prostituted to advertising.........

stamper

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 06:54:18 am »

Schewe is just being Schewe.  Nothing to see here, move along.

I have noticed that on the thread Photokit Sharpener 2 he is the model of decorum, good manners and humour, polite, and every other nice adjective I can think about. :) On other threads we see the real Jeff however. No need to elaborate? The difference is he is the ambassador/salesperson/troubleshooter for the company and pissing off potential customers wouldn't be the right thing to do. :) ;D 8) 

Joe Behar

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 09:59:40 am »

they have claimed that HCB was just another photo pro prostituted to advertising.........

As opposed to someone we must bow down to?

Schewe

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:14 pm »

I have noticed that on the thread Photokit Sharpener 2 he is the model of decorum, good manners and humour, polite, and every other nice adjective I can think about. :)

And you'll also notice that all the other participants are the same as well. I rarely if ever start a fight, but I'm happy to finish one. I tend to get into dustups with people who have already crossed lines. Do I fan fires? Yes...but I don't start them.

Personally, I was tickled to death that nobody asking questions was rude...kinda says something nice about our customers.

dmerger

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 01:56:15 pm »

Perhaps "RTFM" doesn't mean what I thought.  :-\  Or, maybe it was just used in jest.  It's difficult to tell.
Dean Erger

bjornaagedk

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:10 pm »

I have no problems with commercials at the website. What I think is worse is the fact that the most interesting part of LuLa apparently has the lowest priority: The Video Journals. I miss them! I don't care about the newest equipment. Watching Michael and friends shooting in Yellowstone, a visit in the summer house, a visit to people like Clyde Buttcher and many others, THIS is what is interesting. Just my opinion!

Schewe

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:18 pm »

Perhaps "RTFM" doesn't mean what I thought.  :-\  Or, maybe it was just used in jest.  It's difficult to tell.

Read The Fine Manual...and it is fine according to our customers...you read it yet?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 05:51:32 pm »

I agree. LuLa is valuable to me mostly for the forums, not the reviews.

dmerger

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

Well, Jeff, I guess I must have missed the part in the manual where it explained the meaning of “RTFM”. :-\
Dean Erger

Schewe

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

Well, Jeff, I guess I must have missed the part in the manual where it explained the meaning of “RTFM”. :-\

What's your point?

You gonna follow me around and try to pick a fight every time I post on LuLa? That'll be pretty boring for ya...bud. But I'm game if you are. The odds of me getting kicked off the forums aren't real high.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:28:46 pm by Schewe »

Paul C.

• BeingEaten.com
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 06:39:43 pm »

Read The Fine Manual...and it is fine according to our customers...

It might be a fine manual according to your customers, but that's not what the "F" in "RTFM" stands for and I don't believe for a second that you don't know that.

Schewe

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »

It might be a fine manual according to your customers, but that's not what the "F" in "RTFM" stands for and I don't believe for a second that you don't know that.

Uh huh...and it's a long standing tradition to use the acronym RTFM to simply mean read the manual. I've been involved with software development for a few years now and it's a pretty standard Silicon Valley tradition that at this point essentially means read the manual and little else. Reading anything else into it is your own baggage, not mine.

Paul C.

• BeingEaten.com
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »

That's a load of crap, Schewe. If it were the case then you wouldn't have lied about it in the first place.

Keep trying to dance around it all you want, you're not fooling anyone here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up