Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone advice please  (Read 5657 times)

Hank

Yellowstone advice please
« on: July 14, 2004, 03:41:55 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']We just spent ten days in and around the park.  In contrast to previous years, they are receiving a "normal" summer monsoon season.  That means clear and bright mornings for the most parts, but with clouds closing in for the afternoons.  Really dramatic light and photo ops, but plan for rain and wind as evening approahces.  An even greater plus:  Folks head for their cars as the clouds close in, providing even better shots.  Watch for lightning, though![/font]

stealththinker

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 01:19:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']There are two kinds of prime time here:

1. Law of landscape photogrphy - dawn and dust, gives your roughly 3 hours of a day if weather does not interfere.

2. Time of the geysers - besides Old Faithful you pretty much have to wait there until it happens ...

If the sky is overcast, you may be able to get good detail shots on the ground.

5 day is rather short for YNP. Try focusing on 2 countries ...[/font]

cpf

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 02:03:09 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I love Yellowstone, but it is a long way from England and there are many other great places to visit. I am not a wildlife photographer and my comments are biased to landscape. However, common wildlife (bison, elk, coyote) are everywhere. From my experience, these are some good locations to start with:
Around Canyon

Artist Point for view of Lower Falls, a classic viewpoint, probably the most visited but no less spectacular for that, best in overcast conditions since sunshine can give contrast problems.

Alum Creek, Hayden Valley. Best pre-dawn for mist on river and fantastic sunrises.

West Thumb Basin. Interesting but maybe not spectacular

Around Mammoth

The main terrace has dried up over the last decade although Canary Spring still has some nice shapes and colours. Best early morning since in shadow at dawn.

Road from Mammoth south to Norris. Very atmospheric dawn to early morning

Around Old Faithful

If you are limited in time, base yourself here. If you can stay at the Inn all the better. All of the Upper Geyser basin is worth investigating. You should see Old Faithful going off but don't expect exceptional photographs. Morning Glory is my personal favourite but difficult to photograph due to proximity of boardwalk and messy background.

Best trip is to Firehole Lake Drive and Tangle Creek. You'll run out of film if you have a bright dawn with frost about!

Grand Prismatic Spring is also a favourite of mine. You may be lucky with nice shapes to the runoff, but the spring has been drying out over the last few years. Strangely, the mist over the spring gets much denser just after dawn and you can't see a thing!

Clepsydra geyser is a fine place to visit for sunsets

Slightly further afield, towards West Yellowstone you may be lucky and see a bison herd crossing the river. They do this quite regularly at any time of day.

Whatever you decide, don't try to do too much. Yellowstone Park is huge. Enjoy!

Chris[/font]

howard smith

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:14:52 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you are going to Yellowstone, I would try to get a trip to the Grand Tetons and Jackson.  The Grand Tetons spots I like best are along the main road.  Go east neat the airport and see some old buildings, including a well photographed barn circa 1920.  There are also large numbers of buffalo there in summer.

There is an overlook a bit further north with easy trails to the Snake.  Good morning reflections of the mountains in quiet pools.

In Jackson, eat at Anthony's.  Great Italian food, especially if you like garlic.  No reservations, so arrive just before opening and get in line (5 pm I think).  The Pearl Street Bagel shophas great coffe and of course bagels for a fast breakfast.

The area arounf Moose Junction is good for moose.  I'v seen a couple of black bears there too.[/font]

Henry W

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 02:45:42 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am going to spend 5 days in Yellowstone NP later this month. I am interested in landscapes rather than wildlife. Can anyone help me with "prime times" of day at the various locations?

We are also spending time at the Tetons but those spots are fairly well documented.

Thanks...Henry[/font]

howard smith

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 07:22:58 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am not a fan of Yellowstone, but Yellowstone Falls and the gorge below the falls are really exquisite.  No idea or the best time of day.[/font]

andyfrazer

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 06:46:58 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you're interested in night photography, don't forget that they don't shut the geyers off at night (including Old Faithful). Not only are most of the crowds gone, but OF was stunning under a starry sky at 11:30pm.  If I could go back again, I would shoot long exposures at night of all the geysers.

But, then, I always shoot everything at night.... :cool:

Andy Frazer
http://www.gorillasites.com/nightphotos[/font]

Henry W

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:52:24 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hank, Howard, Stealth, Andy & Chris,

Lots of great advice. With all your help I'm able to start a plan.

Thanks...Henry[/font]

Leej

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 09:13:22 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']To add to what others have suggested - there is a waterfall in YNP called Fairy Falls.  When I was there a couple of years ago the waterfall was wispy and delicate, falling into a nice pool, and made for some very nice shots.  Its an easy hike (maybe 1.5 miles - can't remember for sure) and gets you away from the crowds.

On the other hand - the comment about not trying to do too much is REALLY a valid observation.  YNP is huge.  Also, add extra driving time during the day to allow for Moose jams, or Elk jams, or Buffalo jams :laugh:[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up