Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ digital backs w/ retina type multi touch screen + USB 3.0  (Read 101736 times)

Erick Boileau

• http://
Re: Phase One IQ digital backs
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:01 am »

As far as 80mpx, what would a medium format camera announcement be if there wasn't more megapixels?
  ?? strange idea !  my needs = 40 mp top limit , I shall never pay 1 $ for more pixels

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 05:16:17 am »

I dig this embargo stuff.

This isn't wikileaks and classified documents, it's just a camera back.

Everybody has probably heard phase is gonna have a new back with a better lcd and probably some kind of touch screen since they acquired Leaf and Leaf has had touch screen forever.

As far as 80mpx, what would a medium format camera announcement be if there wasn't more megapixels?

You can't get within 4 blocks of a camera dealer without a wink-wink guess what I heard comment, so  . . .

I understand corporate proprietary information and I've signed a lot of contracts for a lot of projects and lived them to the letter,  but a new camera back with more pixels?

That's kind of like saying that Apple is gonna come out with a new I-phone someday.

IMO

BC

Obviously you need to read the Press release and we are just following the embargo that was given to us. You may hear this and that but there is a lot that no rumor covered to what is released. Frankly I am surprised the 40 and 60 are included in this new packaging. I may just do a lateral move myself from the P40 to the IQ 140 as it solves several key issues. Obviously we will see what upgrade pricing is in place and see what makes sense. Everyone will have there own priorities on what route to take or stay pat.

Jack and I will get a chance to shoot it all day this week in San Francisco and will also be doing a first look at it before the back starts making it's way around the country to the dealers for there demos and special events. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:18:28 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

BJNY

Re: Phase One IQ digital backs w/ retina type multi touch screen + USB 3.0
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:29:24 am »

The IQ also features a USB 3.0 port for quicker image transfer and a FireWire 800 connection for faster tethered shooting.

Is USB 3.0 only for transferring, and not for tethering?
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 06:37:13 am »

Is there WiFi to iPad without need for portable or desktop computer?
Guillermo

ced

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:40 am »

I'm getting out of the pool to have a shower, what with all that piss around... :D

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:44 am »

Oh dear...it looks like the Leaf back.

It's really quite dire when a company buys out it's only real competition.

Let's remember the situation with Leaf was quite "dire" at the time. This was not a hostile takeover, Leaf was in the hands of Kodak. Now, Leaf has a healthy, smart, well financed ownership committed to the segment of the market they operate in. A positive for Leaf, for Phase One, and for the photographic community on many levels contrasted to the alternative.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:21 am »

Respect to Phase/Leaf. All they need now is a half decent platform. I can't help feeling they backed the wrong camera; they should have put their money behind the AFi.

The price of that admission may have been more than they wished to spend. And I trust this was a wise choice. They backed a very viable platform and while the camera may not have excited anyone, I would say that they have improved it substantially and I don't think there is anyone who would argue about the lenses - excellent Mamiya and Schneider optics (part of the allure of the AFi anyway).

They're not done here, for those who don't feel the DF system is where they wish to be, it has already been stated by Phase One that more cameras are on the drawing table, though they'll take time. And frankly, many of our clients who have handled a DF camera have changed their opinions about the Mamiya-based system.

Instead of bogging themselves down with the AFi project (both financially and otherwise), they start fresh and invest into Leaf, Mamiya, Expression Media, and the R&D that results in the IQ series. Nice as the AFi may be, I for one, am thankful, and look forward to their new camera system in a few years, complete with more Mamiya/Schneider optics.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:53 am »

?? strange idea !  my needs = 40 mp top limit , I shall never pay 1 $ for more pixels

Sounds like the Phase One IQ140 is perfect for you :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Doug Peterson

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:37 am »

The IQ also features a USB 3.0 port for quicker image transfer and a FireWire 800 connection for faster tethered shooting.

Is USB 3.0 only for transferring, and not for tethering?

Tethering options:
USB3
USB2
FW800
FW400

See more: http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/iq/#tethering

Is there WiFi to iPad without need for portable or desktop computer?

No such feature has been announced.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:37 am »

... it has already been stated by Phase One that more cameras are on the drawing table, though they'll take time. And frankly, many of our clients who have handled a DF camera have changed their opinions about the Mamiya-based system.

... I for one, am thankful, and look forward to their new camera system in a few years, complete with more Mamiya/Schneider optics.
Steve Hendrix

In a few years!!!?? Sweet Jesus, please tell us you didn't mean that Steve. ;D We all know that the wizards in Copenhagen can build great backs. It took them longer than hoped to discover the existence of LCD technology, but let bygones be bygones. These backs look the business (except for live-view and video  ;))

But the real question is when the knuckle-draggers in Osaka will build a half-decent camera to mount this on. I don't want to drive my Aston Martin on 11" spare emergency rims, thanks.   I would have thought that the getting pants'd by Pentax on the 645D would have shamed Mamiya's salarymen men into 24/7 action. If I didn't know better, I'd think the survival of their jobs depends on it....

- N,
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:32 am »

Very interesting specs, I hope the live view thing is for real, that would make these backs total killers for top notch landscape work in the field.

Cut the price in half and it would become an interesting product. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:47 am »

Very interesting specs, I hope the live view thing is for real, that would make these backs total killers for top notch landscape work in the field.

Cut the price in half and it would become an interesting product. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

The pricing policy is very interesting. The way Phase are going to make their money is very similar to the way car manufacturers charge strikingly different amounts for what is essentially the same car, with just a slightly different engine. The prices from the Phase site -

IQ180: $43,990
IQ160: $36,990
IQ140: $21,990

Now then, the IQ140 is exactly the same body, screen, etc etc as the IQ180. You can't tell me or anyone else and keep a straight face that the sensor in the 80 costs $20,000 more than the 40, yet the sensor is the only difference between the two. So if Phase are able to make a profit on the IQ140 (and I don't imagine they are selling it at a loss), then the profit on the 80 is, shall we say, ludicrous?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:53 am »

Actually John, I think it's not ludicrous but rather paying for R&D and relatively small quantities of chips in the larger size. Apple prices on the iPads....now that's ludicrous.

But they did manage to work "IQ" into the product name. That's gotta be worth a buck or two.

- N.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:31:38 am by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 09:37:24 am »

but IQ140 has a crop 1.3   ... >:(

Doug Peterson

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 09:38:44 am »

As long as your expectations are realistic. CCD sensors - of this kind - can not have the same live view as CMOS sensors. But if it's usable in slower tripod-based styles of shooting (landscape, interior, architecture) then it will be huge for tech camera users.

The Focus Mask and Tap to 100% Zoom on the LCD will also be very helpful in this regard.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

BJNY

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:53:41 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Doug Peterson

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:46 am »

Naaaah  8).  It is a copy of a LEAF back and some filing done to it to make a more simple shape + cut lower part off from the Leaf's display  ;D

[From an orphaned thread about the same topic...]

I know you're joking, but just for an interesting point of reference, the Phase One IQ LCD is not just the best LCD of any digital back. It is the best LCD on any still camera.

From our Article on the Phase One IQ LCD.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

BJNY

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:41 am »

The pricing policy is very interesting. The way Phase are going to make their money is very similar to the way car manufacturers charge strikingly different amounts for what is essentially the same car, with just a slightly different engine. The prices from the Phase site -

IQ180: $43,990
IQ160: $36,990
IQ140: $21,990

Now then, the IQ140 is exactly the same body, screen, etc etc as the IQ180. You can't tell me or anyone else and keep a straight face that the sensor in the 80 costs $20,000 more than the 40, yet the sensor is the only difference between the two. So if Phase are able to make a profit on the IQ140 (and I don't imagine they are selling it at a loss), then the profit on the 80 is, shall we say, ludicrous?

John

Upgrade pricing at http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/promotions/
Guillermo

ternst

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:44 am »

One of the great features of Leaf backs for tech camera users is that you can input the lens mm into the exif data before you take the picture, and is included in all files until you change it - a real lifesaver knowing what lens was used so I know which LCC file is needed. Is there anything like this with the new Phase backs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up