Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Quality CF Card Reader?  (Read 2615 times)

pflower

Good Quality CF Card Reader?
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »

I have recently had my first (near) disaster with a CF card.  Fortunately I have managed to salvage the images on it. But I have traced the problem to a faulty CF card reader which had somehow caused the card to lose its formatting.  I have been through a lot of these cheap card readers - somehow at some point the little pins inside them get bent out of shape and they have to be thrown away - it may be just my clumsy technique but there we are.  Cameras on the other hand have extremely good and robust slots for the cards and my old Nikons have never had a problem like that.

Can anyone recommend a robust, well constructed CF card reader whose pins are unlikely to get bent out of shape?

jotloob

Re: Good Quality CF Card Reader?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »

I use a SanDisk Extreme Fire Wire reader . A FW800 cable (both ends) is required . I had no trouble so far .
But whatever reader you use ,
care must always be taken , when you insert the CF Card .
Jürgen

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:42:46 pm »

+1 on the SanDisk Extreme reader. Mine's USB.

Dave

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »

+2 on the Sandisk Firewire CF reader, fast and never had a problem, nice compact design and a the slot for the card has a very positive input feel similar to that on a camera.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:47:10 am »

+3 on the Sandisk. I have tried various others and the Sandisk is just better. The others either messed up because the pins inside would eventually bend or the transfer speeds were  awful or they dropped the connection or any combination of previous issues.

The Sandisk might be pretty pricey but you get what you pay for in this case, IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up