Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions - Photos for Stitching - LR3 - PK Sharpener 2 - Batch Processing  (Read 2013 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com

CS5/LR3/PKS2/PTGUI (all up-to-date versions) + Canon 40D

Any suggestions for a do-able and efficient work-flow for stitching using the above?

I like to do a lot stitched images.  Some are simple 2 - 3 images, but I also have bunch from my Christmas vacation where I went crazy with a 200 mm lens and so we are talking multiple rows, with large number of photos (a couple of these that come to mind with 57 and 105 shots for example).

I do all my initial tweaks in Lightroom (W/B, noise, color, ...).  I'd like to defer the capture sharpening to PKS2 if possible (more on that later) but if not do-able in an efficient (i.e., batch-controlled manner) I will use LR's sharpening algorithms as at least I can Sync these with all the other tweaks at a single time.

PTGUI I find does not handle CR2 files very well, either because I haven't figured out yet how to get it to properly recognize changes made in LR3/Raw Converter or because it simply cannot (stitched Output using CR2 files looks like crap, color noise and color saturation in particular are awful).  So with PTGUI, I find I need to work with TIFFs.  That means I need to open up all the photos in CS5, not that big a deal with 2-3-10 photos, but with 50 - 100 = UGH.  Particularly if all I want it to do at that point is Save as TIFF.  I have noticed that the act of selecting all photos I want to work on in LR, Edit in CS5, will lead to LR making a TIFF File with an edit suffix for each photo.  But also gets CS5 trying to open each of these files up which gags the system.

Question 1:  Is there a short-cut/batch method in LR3 to simply save files as a TIFF w/o needing to bring CS5 into the process?  <-- this alone would save a lot of time to what I am currently burdened with in terms of a work flow.

I stated above I'd like to use PKS2 to do the capture sharpening if possible over LR3

Question 2a:  Any way from LR3 to initiate some form of batch subroutine that takes all 50 - 100 files, opens each up individually in CS5, applies PKS capture sharpening (even by calling a pre-made action in CS5 to do this (which could also do the save as tiff asked about in Question 1))

Question 2b:  Given the intent is to stitch multiple images together at a later stage, with PKS2, is there any danger of getting noticeably different sharpening effects across photos by utilizing the auto-sharpen features in a batch process where these photos are later stitched.  Because I would assume the algorithm looks at each photo on its own merits and decides such and such is the proper sharpening to use for that photo.  Where I am trying to go with this question, is say, Photo 1 has lots of flowing water, with a little in the way of fine detail (trees/leaves, rocks), while by the time photo 5 comes around it has lots of fine detail with say a little bit of flowing water.  Is the sharpening applied (with the automated type sharpening) to the flowing water portions of each of these photos going to be roughly equivalent across the photos, while the sharpening to the finer detailed stuff on the different photos also going to be about the same (though different compared to the flowing water sharpening)? 

[size=12p

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

1, it would be very easy to set up a Export Preset to export the images as tiffs without (or with if you want) the images reappearing in the LR catalog.

2a, you can have LR export and then apply an action droplet on each tiff.

2b, hum...I would think that it might be best to test this. This isn't a situation that I've tested but I would be inclined to pick the edges manually.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com

Thank you Jeff.

Your answers to 1/2a were enough to quickly find what I needed in the Adobe Help and I have set these actions droplets up. 

As to 2b I'll try it out running with the automated sharpening and see what happens.

Thanks
[size=12p

Bill Koenig

Re: Questions - Photos for Stitching - LR3 - PK Sharpener 2 - Batch Processing
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

I use Autopano pro and I have a few pano's that are made up with 50 images (5 rows of 10) add HDR to the mix and now I have 150 images.
My work flow is to open all of my NEF files in ACR first, but I set everything in ACR to zero, that includes NO capture sharpening. Then I do exposure blending in Photomatix of the 3 exposures, then stitch in AAP.
Somewhere I've read that you don't want any sharpening before you stitch.
I'm not saying that your work flow is wrong or right, but you might want to look into that.
Sorry if I didn't answer your question.
Bill Koenig,

Frankomatic

Re: Questions - Photos for Stitching - LR3 - PK Sharpener 2 - Batch Processing
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:22:10 am »

Apart from the sharpening effects possibly being different in each pre-stitched image, I've found that stitched images are more difficult to work with in PKS2 because the preview at 100% is so small.

For example, a single image with an aspect ratio of say 1:1.5 fills the PKS2 window, which in turn allows the zoomed-in 100% preview to also fill the window.

However, when I open a 255 degree stiched pano with an aspect ratio of 1:8.3 in PKS2, it fills only about the top 20% of PKS2's window.  Apparently the + cursor inside PKS2's window maintains the aspect ratio of the image (judging from the box that appears under the + cursor), and when clicked to reveal a 100% preview results in a preview window that is extremely narrow top to bottom.  This essentially shows a preview that is utilizing only 1/5th of PKS2's window real estate, as opposed to a more normal aspect ratio that utilizes all of the window's real estate.  Seeing more of the image at 100% would make it much easier to judge sharpening.  I suspect that a 360 degree pano would fill even less of the window's vertical space.

Even if the stitched image fills only a small portion of the PKS2 window, it would be much easier to judge sharpening with a larger view of the effect being visible.  Is there a reason why the 100% preview maintains the same aspect ratio as the image rather than the apsect ratio of the PKS2 window? 

Regards,
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up