Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Alternatives  (Read 19028 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Photoshop Alternatives
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 06:02:38 am »

Elements/lightroom, both are presented as much the same and if I mentioned only the one it was because i was talking in general rather than in the particular, a distinction that most intelligent people can appreciate. Again, why should anybody bother with a 30 day trial if they are not informed or in anyway convinced by the initial sales blurb that it would be worth their while? They hardly make that option obvious anyway and we are all busy people.
I'm amazed at this. You expect to be taken seriously, but then shrug off any responsibility for reading about the products recommended.
The trials of Adobe products seem to me to be obviously available on the most casual of inspections of their web site.
I'm also surprised you haven't bothered to look at, or know about, Photoshop Elements, it's been around for very many years and has always been regarded and marketed as the cut-down version of PS for people not needing the full version. Just because the product's advertising is pitched at more casual users doesn't mean it should be over looked, especially so since you asked for recommendations for products for this exact market.

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:21 am »

Elements/lightroom, both are presented as much the same and if I mentioned only the one it was because i was talking in general rather than in the particular, a distinction that most intelligent people can appreciate. Again, why should anybody bother with a 30 day trial if they are not informed or in anyway convinced by the initial sales blurb that it would be worth their while? They hardly make that option obvious anyway and we are all busy people.

The information is plainly presented and if you can't recognise it, then it is amusing that you should sling verbally at me as you did, don't you think?  (Perhaps my punctuation was incorrect there - I'll leave it for you to determine).

How much more obvious should it be than to have a large, bright button there for you to click?

But hey, what do I know, I'm only a potential customer after all.

Perhaps you're right.  Perhaps you're not really a potential customer.  It doesn't really matter.  You've already elevated yourself.  You're right and they're wrong.  

I wonder if you would care to reflect upon that paragraph for it doesn't read as being as decisive or informed as you may feel, but rather pompous, elitist (snobbish even) and sorely detached from reality, well reality as found it in rural Ireland anyway. As a UK based friend who has worked as a photographer for many years put it to me "The game is over". There is no longer the demand for professional photographers that there was and I doubt that there ever will be again. I've been busy teaching myself new and associated skills because I see so many in the trade struggling or going out of business. I never was a full time pro, could never afford to be, but it has been an enjoyable little sideline in the past and I have always considered 'professionalism' in any craft as being a state of mind rather than a dependence upon it for a living.

It read exactly as I intended.  Whatever you choose to read into it is your choice and my dilema, but ever was the written word, no?

That the demand has changed does not mean that there is no more demand.  Furthermore, photographers are only a portion of the market for which the product is intended.

Yes I have left much unsaid but there is only so much time I can spare for this sort of ultimately meaningless argument, so fire away fellows, but do try to be original at least.

Why would we invent something new for you to savour when it's the same, tired, doggerel with which we are presented?  You didn't ask an honest question.  You had an agenda.  The responses are honest, but don't heel to your dogma.

I was over it before it started.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:23 am »

Not quite it's $306. 57 if your unlucky  (or lucky depending on viewpoint) to live in the UK.
Arguing about $1.57 on a $300 deal when talking about currency exchange rates is pretty pointless.

K.C.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 06:08:54 am »

When my laptop was stolen last year, they de-authorized it within minutes of my email/phone call. I was impressed, especially since I had no idea who to reach out to. Perhaps I got lucky.

I can de-authorize my C1 license in the time it takes me to pull up the Phase One web site. No need for an email/phone call. Apparently another indication of there superiority in the market.  ::)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:36 am »

Arguing about $1.57 on a $300 deal when talking about currency exchange rates is pretty pointless.

YHBT.

Rhossydd

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 06:15:38 am »

I can de-authorize my C1 license in the time it takes me to pull up the Phase One web site. No need for an email/phone call.
Did you bother to read the words "laptop was stolen" ?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 07:33:54 am »

I'm amazed at this. You expect to be taken seriously, but then shrug off any responsibility for reading about the products recommended.
The trials of Adobe products seem to me to be obviously available on the most casual of inspections of their web site.
I'm also surprised you haven't bothered to look at, or know about, Photoshop Elements, it's been around for very many years and has always been regarded and marketed as the cut-down version of PS for people not needing the full version. Just because the product's advertising is pitched at more casual users doesn't mean it should be over looked, especially so since you asked for recommendations for products for this exact market.

Should you care to visit the Adobe Ireland site then I think you too will be hard pressed to spot any mention of a free trial that's obvious- Lightroom Ireland

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 07:49:36 am »

Should you care to visit the Adobe Ireland site then I think you too will be hard pressed to spot any mention of a free trial that's obvious- Lightroom Ireland

This is getting ridiculous. It makes perfect sense since that's a store page - there is a prominent "Try" link on the LR product page.

sniper

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 07:51:01 am »

$1.57?   over a hundred bucks is a lot more.

sniper

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:50 am »

YHBT.
It's not a toll post, theres been enough fuss here in the UK about the price differences to cause a professional photography magizine to try and get it's readers to boycot adobe in the past.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 07:57:04 am »

Honestly Farmer why so touchy?

The information I was looking for was not plainly presented, you are assuming, like Adobe, that all the information I want is there. It is not, and besides I'm only slinging some of the mud back. Phrases such as
'It seems you're here to have a whinge.' are hardly likely to be conducive to polite debate. No?

Not only am I a potential customer but I find myself in the position of advising other potential customers. Isn't everyone a potential customer anyway? Not sure exactly what I've elevated myself from to what though.

What leads you to assume that I have an agenda? Could you kindly explain as to what you think that agenda is as I really have no idea. It is an accusation that betrays an element of insecurity rather than an attempt at reasoned argument.

Toodle pips

J.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:11 am »

Feppe

I search for Adobe lightroom in Google, I peruse the list of options and see a link for their store in Ireland which would appear to be the obvious choice for someone living in Ireland. What pray is so ridiculous about that? If there is more to be learnt then shouldn't this be flagged on the site? This sort of problem with websites goes far beyond Adobe though, Hills and Suzuki are two sites I've struggled with in the past. Presenting large amounts of information with cross reference to pertinent items of other information in a clear fashion without the need to second guess the organisations products, services or general approach to website design is quite possible, even the Irish Government can manage it.

Clearair

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 08:19:50 am »

I must agree with the unjustified pricing policies of Adobe. It often comes up in conversation with friends who use it. I am still using CS3!
Less and less though.
I would up grade to CS5 tomorrow as I try to keep EVERYTHING up to date on my workstation. But I would feel like the king without any clothes when I look at the USA to UK price difference, or does the exchange rate ignorance indicate a zenophobia nature.
It's not just Adobe, now wheres my Apple gone?

Pro or not there is no excuse for rip offs and I wonder at some of the responses if you were paying another 40%.

alain

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:41 am »

Hi

I'm using picture window pro 5.0 and for the things I need a image editor (after RAW conversion) it's clearly enough.   It's 16-bit, has colour management and does everything I need.  I for example do like the two zone and three zone transformations for landscapes.

It's clearly not as polished or "big" as PS, but the price is also only 1/11th of photoshop.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 09:16:09 am »

Hi

I'm using picture window pro 5.0 and for the things I need a image editor (after RAW conversion) it's clearly enough.   It's 16-bit, has colour management and does everything I need.  I for example do like the two zone and three zone transformations for landscapes.

It's clearly not as polished or "big" as PS, but the price is also only 1/11th of photoshop.

That looks as if it could be useful. I am tempted to download the trial when I know I'll have time to look at it properly. Also pleasing to see that the price and trial offer were both there on the first page as well as a PDF of the manual which is informative and by which I was able to ascertain that it suits the needs of many within a just few minutes. A clear, useful and unambiguous presentation of the product. 

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »

2 clicks took 2 seconds.
Downloads and Try (Beside Lightroom 3)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:38:04 pm by Dan Berg »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »

2 clicks took 2 seconds.
Downloads and Try (Beside Lightroom 3)

But where on the page linked to is there any indication of a free trial? A visitor has to do two things, 1, assume that a free trial exists and then 2, go look for it with no clear indication as to where it is. Should someone really need to go through this process? Compare and contrast with the Picture Window page, or is it some sort of test to see if you are savvy enough to be admitted into the ranks of the Adobe Users club?

Farmer

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 03:40:13 pm »

It's OK, Justin.  Obviously since it's not blisteringly clear to you, it's Adobe's fault.  Everyone else has been complaining for years about the inability to find and download the trial versions.  Yup, that must be it.
Phil Brown

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »

Oh, there's competition...it's just that over the long haul, there's really nothing anywhere as good, flexible and powerful. MSFT tried to compete with Photoshop...a product called Digital Image Suite. It didn't do very well and MSFT killed it because, well it wasn't anywhere nearly good enough to compete.

As a former member of the Digital Image Suite team, please allow me to set the record straight on the fact that it was never intended to be a competitor  for Photoshop.  It was an enthusiast product, at an enthusiast product's price point (~$30-$100 depending on SKU, and that was full retail pricing, not upgrade).

I'm not sure where the impression it was intended to compete at the Photoshop level came from--for example, it only worked with 8-bit images!  You are correct that it was killed, but not because of any Photoshop compete story.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

It's OK, Justin.  Obviously since it's not blisteringly clear to you, it's Adobe's fault.  Everyone else has been complaining for years about the inability to find and download the trial versions.  Yup, that must be it.

Well don't you think it should be blisteringly clear to every visitor, and if not why not?

As I have already suggested as a website or web presence expands it becomes ever more difficult to manage and keep consistent and this is an example of the sort of wrinkle that can appear in the cloth. It is my belief that one of the major aims of any website is to guide the visitor to the information they seek in as quick and efficient manner as possible, that doesn't happen here and I have given two further examples which I have found difficult in the past, so I'm not shooting just at Adobe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up