Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toronto/Niagara falls in the winter  (Read 5254 times)

jayz

Toronto/Niagara falls in the winter
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »

I'm going to be in the GTA for work next week.  wanted to get some information on what would be some good locations in the winter for a shot of the toronto skyline.  If i'm not staying in downtown, what would be a good time (sunrise vs. sunset) and place to get a skyline shot.  If I need to goto downtown, where is a good place to park in downtown?

Is it worthwhile making a trip to Niagara falls in the winter? If so, is it better to get shots of the falls from up close, or are better shots taken from further away.  I have struggled to get a good shot of the falls (mainly from up close), because so much of the falls are covered by mist.  What is a good time??

Joe Behar

Re: Toronto/Niagara falls in the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:00:47 am »

Jayz,

There are a number of good spots for shooting the Toronto skyline, but they are all downtown.

You'll want to try the Polson St. pier and Centre island for your best bets. If you don't mind a nice long walk the leslie St. spit is also worth a visit.

Either sun rise or sunset can work because the skyline basically runs east-west. I personally prefer sunrise because you'll get a wider variety of reflections off the glass buildings as the sunrise progresses. Sunset will give you a great sky background, so if possible shoot both.

Don't forget to look up sunrise and sunset times and be at your shooting spot a little early.

All that's left is to make sure you're dressed for the occasion. We've had some bitter cold weather lately.

jayz

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:07:29 am »

Jayz,

There are a number of good spots for shooting the Toronto skyline, but they are all downtown.

You'll want to try the Polson St. pier and Centre island for your best bets. If you don't mind a nice long walk the leslie St. spit is also worth a visit.

Either sun rise or sunset can work because the skyline basically runs east-west. I personally prefer sunrise because you'll get a wider variety of reflections off the glass buildings as the sunrise progresses. Sunset will give you a great sky background, so if possible shoot both.

Don't forget to look up sunrise and sunset times and be at your shooting spot a little early.

All that's left is to make sure you're dressed for the occasion. We've had some bitter cold weather lately.

thanks for the suggestions.  How do you get to centre island - do you have to take a boat/ferry ??? I imagine if you have to take a boat it shouldn't be an issue for sunset with the short days, but is this possible for sunrise? Sorry not familiar with Toronto. Usually my work just takes me to Oakville.

Joe Behar

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25:37 am »

Jayz,

Here's a link to the ferry schedule.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/ferry-schedule.htm

Here's a link for surise and sunset times in Toronto

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=250

Looks like its do-able

As I said, you can also get some nice shots from the Polson St. pier. For more info look here;

http://www.polsonpier.com/

Hope this helps.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »

January may be cold, but with the polar bears venturing on the ice, it can be a good time to visit Toronto.

If the current deep freeze lasts a little bit longer, one should be able to walk on the ice right from the Harbourfront and get some interesting shots with a wide-angle lens not too far from the shore.

mpost

• http://www.photographybymarshall.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »

If you are looking for a spot out Oakville way, I have shot some good morning skylines from Port Credit Harbour.  You can reach it off Lakeshore just west of Hurontario.  Plenty of parking and just walk out to the pier.  Bring a longer lense around 300mm and you can catch a nice reflection off the CN Tower and the downtown skyline.

On the other side of the Port Credit River Saddington Park offers a slightly more extended view and you can reach that by going over the bridge and turn south and drive into the park.  Plenty of parking there as well.  There is a breakwater at the end of the park which goes out even farther.  Lots of ducks and geese near the breakwater.

enjoy

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:45:34 pm »

January may be cold, but with the polar bears venturing on the ice, it can be a good time to visit Toronto.
For the love of god how DO these crazy stereotypes start? Toronto is in SOUTHERN Canada where one finds only penguins! ;D

[If the current deep freeze lasts a little bit longer, one should be able to walk on the ice right from the Harbourfront and get some interesting shots with a wide-angle lens not too far from the shore.

Very true though I've never walked on the ice from the northern shore near Harbourfront - I figured the harbour police would intercept you in their neverending duty to 'serve and protect"

I do walk on the ice on the southern side of the harbour easily accessed ftom Centre Island.

not EVERYONE takes the ferry back to town by Phil Marion, on Flickr

freezing skyline - Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:21:24 pm »

Is it worthwhile making a trip to Niagara falls in the winter? If so, is it better to get shots of the falls from up close, or are better shots taken from further away.  I have struggled to get a good shot of the falls (mainly from up close), because so much of the falls are covered by mist.  What is a good time??

I grew up in Niagara Falls.  I think it is most spectacular in winter with the ice covering everything.  Seems like a fairy tale world to me then.   And if it is a sunny afternoon, from the Canadian side next to the Horseshoe Falls, you'll get a perpetual single or double rainbow in the frozen ice crystals hanging above the falls.  These images are from last February.

Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:51:34 pm by BradSmith »

JohnTodd

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:21 am »

As I happened to get a rainbow shot over the Falls on Sunday, here's an update to Brad's evocative work:

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:42:23 pm »

...and to think Mr. Reichman gave up all this to escape to Mexico ;)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »

Some good work here.  The distortion in the first one looks like the ice is bulging under the city as a whole.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up