Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Display 2 and problems with new Macbook Pros  (Read 2266 times)

lootcorp

i1 Display 2 and problems with new Macbook Pros
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:47 am »

Hi all -

I'm the proud owner of a new Macbook Pro 17" w/ antiglare screen. A friend of mine lent me his i1 Display 2 unit to calibrate the display.

I'm not sure how recent the hardware is - it is branded Gretag Macbeth on the front and the label on the back says "Type: eye-one display 2" and "Part No. 35.54.30". I downloaded the latest version of i1Match (v3.6.3) and tried to calibrate my screen.

Everytime I run the calibration, in easy or advanced, I get a message stating "Warning: The profile check resulted in some deviations". I've tried this with different profile preferences (ICC v2 vs v4, and small (matrix) vs large (LUT)) - I get this warning with every option. I've tried dark rooms, lit rooms, etc... If I actually accept the profile, the before/after checking in the software looks good, but when I hit finish and activate the profile, it is *wildly* off - skin glows fluorescent yellow, and the "close/minimize/maximize" buttons on windows which are usually red/yellow/green are all a hideous shade of yellowish/orange. This is clearly not calibrated at all!

I then tried it on another friend's new 15" Macbook Pro (also antiglare) - same exact results.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd think it was hardware, but the owner uses it regularly on a Windows system with no issues (well, he says he occasionally has to run it twice to get a "non-cloudy" profile, but never any issues like this.

I've attached an image of the latest profile - I thought it was interesting that I was aiming for a white point of ~6500 (native for this display) but the profile came up with 1400K. Also, the gamma was 2.2 target, 2.5 achieved. Also, the graph looks out of whack...

Something is clearly wrong here, but I don't know enough about this stuff to figure out what's wrong. I've scoured the internet and see people with Snow Leopard color profile issues, but nothing quite as severe as this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

shewhorn

• http://
Re: i1 Display 2 and problems with new Macbook Pros
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:28:16 pm »

The i1 Display 2 in my experience is inconsistent when profiling screens that have white LED backlights. I would recommend either the Spyder 3 or a Spectrophotometer (the ColorMunki is the least expensive spectrophotometer that I'm aware of).

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up