Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tour through my new print studio  (Read 6992 times)

loonsailor

Re: A tour through my new print studio
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:51 am »

I'm considering something similar, but I was just going to take it down and hit it with a couple of cans of Rustoleum in a neutral colour.
Neil

Very nice studio!  I have a very similar arrangement for print viewing.  I couldn't find spray paint that was spectrally neutral gray , so I took one of my gray reference cards down to the paint store and had them match it.  Worked great, though I had to brush it on rather than spray.

plui

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:55 am »

I enjoyed this studio thread... Hope its resurrection doesn't annoy anyone.

Here's my studio ~err.. mancave.

The fluorescent lights are horrible; there is some dust and cobwebs in the corners; the only window is partially blocked with a piece of cardboard; there's some dog barf stains on the floor.

I keep the Epson 11880 covered in its shipping plastic and its now a little more than a year old. It's loaded up with the IJ Technologies 64 inch canvas that I'd asked about in a previous thread. There's also gallon of their Black Diamond Eclipse Satin -spray-on topcoat in a box just to the left of the printer. I used this combo for a recent job completing 2 64x64 inch gallery wrap canvases of a client's photo montages --originally provided to me as very low-resolution jpegs. I sprayed the large canvases using a Wagner PowerMax (and advice from @Fetish) in a small unused bedroom upstairs from this spot... Wife was not happy.

There's a Cintiq 21ux (rev 2) tablet and a Benq lcd that are driven by a home built Win 7/64, i7/930, ssd, and GTX 465 video, with CS5 production prem, and LR3, with on one's perfect photo suite. A Colormunki Design is under the desk or, I'm not sure where it is.  There's another home built Mac hackintosh, in the background running 10.6.7 (not going to lion) with a similar config for audio and video editing. And there's a linux virtualization server just out of picture for web and file services.

There's a box of empty starter ink carts and a broken/disassembled Colormunki Photo in the shelf above the printer.

There's a pair of Technics 1200 Mk 2's, a Tascam 38 multitrack reel deck, some rack effects, Pioneer DJM500 mixer, Akai APC20 Ableton and Numark controllers and a soundcraft EPM 6 for audio, mixing, and horsing around.

Im planning on cleaning and re-arranging some things to get a bit more work surface.

I hadn't really planned on doing large-format prints, but was left with some advice from my late mother to print my father's artwork -- he paints landscapes, and working on the reproductions together has brought us a bit closer together since our loss.

Over the past year I've closely followed (lurked) the Lula printing/paper/ink threads and paid close attention to advice from posters Wayne Fox, Bill T, Dan Berg, Neil E, the LL canvas print video and others who escape me at the moment, point being they've provided very useful, practical knowledge as well as some inspiration to go beyond hobbyist printing and consider fine art printing as a profession, or at least to offer as a service to other, much more talented photographers.

It's been a very gratifying learning process... Thanks!

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:02 pm »

That's a slick outfeed table yo have going there, very nice!

My sister is coming to visit in a few weeks so my studio is going to be transformed into a guest bedroom. I'm trying to figure out if I should warn her about the printer waking up to do auto-agitation of the inks, or just let her be surprised the first time it happens :D

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up