Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upper Gap Bay of Quinte  (Read 1533 times)

DickKirkley

Upper Gap Bay of Quinte
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:05:45 pm »

I pass this spot almost once a week but only rarely stop to take a photograph. I realized after taking this image and several others last Friday that I should stop here more often. William Neil suggests that we should get familiar with our favourite spots until we know all of its characteristics. Certainly this spot is different every time I pass and deserves more attention than I have been giving it.

http://RKirkley.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v24/p619524299-5.jpg

The other images I took that day are in the gallery the following link will take you to. Please scroll to the last 9 images . I am sorry but I have not yet learned how to send just part of a gallery.

http://rkirkley.zenfolio.com/p105803681

I welcome your comments.

Regards

Dick K.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Upper Gap Bay of Quinte
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:22 am »

Dick

I quote you from another thread -

"John (or anyone). I am fairly new to this forum but have commented on several posts, mostly favourably.

However, I have a question. My last post, Upper Gap Bay of Quinte, is just 3 slots below this one. It has been viewed 58 time but no one has commented. So my question is " What am I doing wrong?"

I post a link rather than the image itself because my hosting service Zenfolio makes that so easy to do. Is that a problem? Also if my picture has problems I would appreciate any advice. That is why I posted it, to learn and improve.

I also find LuLa the most interesting of the sites I visit as most of the regulars do speak their minds and that is refreshing.

Cheers
Dick K."

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, although posting a link rather than the picture itself doesn't help. We really need the immediacy of the photo on this page to jolt us into action. And some sites people link to (like Flickr) are blocked for me on our corporate system.

If no-one comments on a picture posted here, it usually means it just doesn't move them very much. They don't love it, they don't hate it. If a photo is really awful the folks here are very kind and will usually diplomatically say nothing. It quite often happens to me that something I post gets no response at all. Zero, nada. In that case I just let it quietly sink out of sight, and at least I learned that it's probably not one of my best. Or, more likely, that it is something which means a lot to me personally but not that much to anyone else. No harm done, and no wounds which won't heal.

In your case, I thought the picture was quite pleasant, certainly not awful, but it didn't press my buttons in any strong sort of way. So I didn't post a comment. I don't tend to comment much on colour photography anyway, because I don't work in colour usually and I find it very hard to judge.

So don't worry too much Dick, just keep on posting 'em.

John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:47:15 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:56 am »

Certainly this spot is different every time I pass and deserves more attention than I have been giving it.

Indeed.  There are several interesting elements in the scene, each of which can be explored individually.

I think the one photo you highlighted is not the best from the set.  Two problems I see:  1.  There isn't really a dominant focal point, and  2.  The horizon is annoyingly crooked - this is a pet peeve of mine.  Having a crooked horizon can really make the difference between a good landscape and an ordinary snapshot.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:55 am »

As John suggested, some of us are in such a hurry to visit so many threads on the forum that we won't take the time to click on a link. I will confess that I am one of them.

It is initially a bit of a pain to figure out how to post an image directly, but once you get it, it's very easy, and will get more responses.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:12 am »

I agree with John and Eric's comments above. At least, you could show one photo and then also add a link to the rest of the serie. Look at Rajan Parrikar's post here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=50255.0
Francois

DickKirkley

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »

Indeed.  There are several interesting elements in the scene, each of which can be explored individually.

"I think the one photo you highlighted is not the best from the set.  Two problems I see:  1.  There isn't really a dominant focal point, and  2.  The horizon is annoyingly crooked - this is a pet peeve of mine.  Having a crooked horizon can really make the difference between a good landscape and an ordinary snapshot."

Thank you for your critique Tokengirl. The horizon however was problematic. The real horizon is on the left under the distant clouds, The long line of land is actually running at an angle slightly away from my location but appears to be coming inward. I  really struggled with which one to make level. I choose the area on the left but you are of course right it does then make the rest of the horizon appear crooked. But it was just as bad or even worse when I switched sides. However you are again correct; given that ambiguity I should have selected another image to feature.
Regards
Dick K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up