Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request to Use Photo  (Read 6863 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Request to Use Photo
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:35 pm »

I had an inquiry from a person who asked if they could use one of my photos as a background image for a kids sport school this person runs.  I am not set up for selling images (I'd like to try this but not in any rush to do so - still feel I need to improve my skills) but I also do not want to give any of my photos away, so I politely responded that I would need more details about the intended use and quantities so that I could come up with a fair price/rights managed agreement.  I was reasonably certain that having indicated I expected to be paid would result in a thanks but no thanks.

This person e-mailed back, seems to remain interested (English not their first language so ...), would like to make 1000 copies, has a Canadian e-mail provider.

Can anyone direct me to a spot where I can find a generic contract to use? What kind of questions I need to ask to set a reasonable, price that sort of thing?

Thanks

[size=12p

JTPhotographics

Re: Request to Use Photo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »

Hi there.

Here is a 'cost of doing business' calculator that you might find helpful.

http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/cdb/cdbcalc.cfm

and here I found an image usage agreement.

http://photo.net/business-photography-forum/00I6Ey

Being the technical person I am and not a law practitioner I will leave it up to you to decide how water tight this agreement is and if it should be used.

All the best
John

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »

… a 'cost of doing business' calculator...

I've been always utterly perplexed by this "cost+" method of setting individual prices. Figuring out the cost of running your own business plays a role when you are trying to determine the validity of the idea of making a living through photography. However, it has almost nothing to do with setting a price for an individual product (photograph). The price is set by the market, i.e., demand and supply for similar products. The buyer couldn't care less how much it costs you to run your business… all he cares is how much are similar products going for.

Btw, the above is not meant as a criticism of John's contribution. I am sure he just tried to help. And in the same spirit, here are some other links:

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

http://www.tssphoto.com/stock_price.html

www.blinkbid.com

Or a stand-alone software: http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/index.html

lightstand

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:01:41 pm »

Hi Andrew, you could just go to a stock agency's site like Getty, Alamy, etc.  find a similar image that is being licensed as rights restricted not the RF stuff and see the cost to license that image in the way you are being ask.  For generic licensing / contract info I believe FotoByte is still free, of course your local library has books on photo business and you could get ideas how to write up the contract from browsing the appropriate chapter.

One quick thought,  any email where English (or Education) does not seem "like the first language" I would be very hesitant about a 419 scam of course that's your judgement from actually reading this particular email  I might also want to use Google checkout or Paypal to make sure I got paid before delivering any full res files. And I would also want to get all their contact info and if you are still wondering give them a call,  if they can't provide you with a number,  another flag

The good Rev. has sent me countless emails wanting me to photograph an upcoming wedding when they arrive in America ;-)  funny cause I'm no wedding photographer I think I'm allergic to formal family gatherings.

Finally stock is different than assignment:  There is no act of faith on their part when buying stock you already have the image they want/need  wether you are a pro or avid hobbyist you have no reason not to expect licensing the image at the same amount that Getty or any stock agency does, it's after the fact and you are coming from a stronger negotiating point of view not needing to make sales to pay the bills so if it seems like a paperwork nightmare you might want to ask a higher rate.

Edit:  some items I would want in the licensing contract:

who is licensing and where is it going to be used/published
the specific number of reproductions
a time limit when they no longer have licensing use of the image
that you retain the copyright
that there is no licensing/usage until you are paid in full
that there is no third party sales

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:27:25 pm by lightstand »

Thomas McConnell

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:27 am »

Sometimes I came up with these questions too, and all these discussions are very helpful to me, too. thanks all of you guys.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

Sometimes I came up with these questions too, and all these discussions are very helpful to me, too. thanks all of you guys.

Any particular reason you keep resurrecting posts which have been dormant for months- or even years? Every single one of your 12 posts thus far has been a content-free grave-digging effort.

lightstand

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »

"Any particular reason you keep resurrecting posts which have been dormant for months- or even years? "

it almost seems like I have some creepy stalker from texas even the Yellowstone thread from this winter he commented on

ThomasMcConnell

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:22 am »

Unfortunately someone is using my name and website link.  please disregard any postings from 'me' and delete both my user and the other 'user' from this forum and website.
Thanks you!
the real Thomas McConnell, who usually and with deliberation can speak and write with correct grammar

michael

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:24 am »

Both accounts have now been deleted.

Michael

jeffW

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:56 am »

Hi Michael,  not sure what's going on here - just wanted to clarify I (lightstand) had nothing to do with any of this I'm sure you can look at IP addresses to see the different locations. Because you deleted my account I wanted to make sure I was still welcome on your site?

thanks,  Jeff

P.S.  If possible I would really like to know the IP address to the poster that got my account deleted.  I've been a member for close to ten years and have always behaved even biting my lip at times - to be deleted with absolute no explanation is in my humble opinion rude (yes I do realize it's your site)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:51:35 pm by jeffW »

jeffW

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »

Hi Michael,  again I would like to request the IP address to the poster who has resurrected all the old threads I had posted too - getting my account deleted to start documenting this person.  This is not the only forum this creepy stalker has ruined (for me) by resurrecting and therefore harassing my past replies and my outdated threads.  

I always treasured coming to this site and reading posts from greats like Mark Tucker and Kirk Gittings knowing they could be open with their identity and I have felt it important to leave my website's link in my signature so people could see where my photography was - giving me advice pertaining to my level.  

Therefore I also ask for advice on how to deal with this internet weirdo who has basically attacked all the forums I have posted on over the years?

Any advice or insights would be very appreciated.  Thanks Jeff
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:10:30 pm by jeffW »
Pages: [1]   Go Up