Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 645D vs 5Dmk2  (Read 12091 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: 645D vs 5Dmk2
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »

Hi,

I don't think that the adapter is still in production. There are probably quite a few photographers sitting on a lot of Pentax 67 lenses who would like to use them on a digital camera.

Best regards
Erik

Pentax already makes an adapter for the 67 lenses, which works just fine, as do the lenses. They are huge and hard to focus and offer no obvious advantages over the 645 glass.

Erik Kaffehr

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »

Professional or not you buy cameras for a reason.  Have to . . . want to, but still a reason.

To me if a camera has a fixed prism it's a strike down in usability, or better put if an expensive camera doesn't have view point options and a fixed prism it's too much like a  d3x or a 5d2, regardless of perfect conditions image quality.   

I recently used my 5d2 for an 16 page spread and I had never used our 5d2 for anything but motion.   It's a plastic lump, but it shoots fine, actually shoots more than fine. It has all the romance and tactile feel of a hair dryer, but it worked and had we shipped our contax' to the shoot I never would have used it for stills, but it worked fine.

A lot of people got excited early on with the Pentax, partly because the medium format world finally produced a camera with a decent lcd and an in camera preview that was usable, uh oh yea and the cost of around 10 grand.

But that excitement faded when the tethering options were limited and the lens line seems to be listed a TBD.   So when you think about it, saving a few thousand on a pentax vs. a hasselblad, seems like a somewhat adventurous notion.

Regardless I believe with all my heart that the days of traditional cameras with any prism are numbered.  Forget about brands, formats, this will do more to change things than anything else.

We just shot 10 days straight with the RED One.  The camera is a monster, (a good monster, but still a monster), but the lcd and that articulating arm is a work of art.

You can manually track focus, zoom in live focus and it works.   We sometimes mount two to the camera, one at waist level, one at a higher view point and you can go from both views in an instant.   

We shot in bright sun, low light, high light, back light and never once thought about the viewfinder.  It's just important to set your exposure at a proper eye angle, but after that your good to go.

Wait until this type of lcd has touch autofocus and tracking and then the camera becomes a box, the viewfinder becomes a screen and then the days of optical prisms are over.  It may take some time, but I know this is the future.

IMO

BC

ive been shooting video wth a 5d and a 7d, and i bought a "smallhd" monitor to work with. its very nice shooting from a monitor, almost a whole different way of working.
being able to see an HD image on a 9" screen (hd when using the 7d, not 5d) to compose with, and even being able to focus accurately is great.
its a pity these cameras have a delay in live view when you press the shutter.
its interesting how you can focus by eye very accurately when you are only looking at a 720p screen, even though the res of the photo is far greater. reminds me when i use to shoot with the canon (when usb was going slow with apples), i would get it to send small jpegs to the laptop /canon software and write raws onto card.
we could actually check focus on images 4 x times less res accurately. i think our eyes are very good at seeing sharpness.

so hd monitors are already here, so the camera makers have to hurry up get the live view thing working. it must be a heap cheaper to make cameras without mirror boxes as well.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:11 am »

Nick,

Thanks for info on the adapter and also for pulling the White Rabbit from the hat!

I have something like 5-6 Pentax 67 lenses. I'm not really sure that the lenses I have would work well on the P645D but I may or may not make the plunge.

Best regards
Erik

The adapter appear to be a current production item, available in Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/PENTAX-%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA%E7%94%A8-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%80%E3%83%97%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC-645-38454/dp/B000NTQMJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295656261&sr=8-1

The nice folks at White Rabbit can probably get one for you no problem:

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/

- N.

Erik Kaffehr

photoshutter

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 02:56:32 pm »

I like 5d file more.  :(

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »

I like 5d file more.  :(

I agree. To my eyes, in my web browser the 5DII files looks markedly better.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 01:12:55 am »

Hi,

Which images are you talking abbot? Still life or house?

Browser?! I guess that the idea is to download the image and check out in Photoshop. That's what I have done.

Best regards
Erik

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »

Edmund

Funny, I thought the opposite.  What did you see that made you come to your conclusion?
Rolleiflex USA

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 08:25:33 pm »

Funny, I thought the opposite.  What did you see that made you come to your conclusion?

Looked at it 5 seconds. At small size the still life textile colors look better; the rez qualityof the  645 is much greater, but on the small size image the colors looked better at first glance. But these are Jpegs ...

Feel free to disagree with my point of view. I'm really not a great fan of the 5D2, I have a 50/1.8 on mine and usually it is ... my travel compact.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:30:58 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 05:01:56 am »

There's two things I see:
1.  The Canon is a bit cooler with a more magenta cast.  I think that might show off the textile colors better to some eyes (mine included).

2.  If you concentrate on the red ring in the top left circle design of the center panel, the red color is brighter, but less saturated in the 5DII image.  I don't know which is "better," but they certainly are different.

Like others I can't open the 645D image because of the $ bill warning, so I can't compare RGB or Lab values.
I shoot with a 5DII, and in certain images the reds and oranges are just weird.  I have profiled my 5DII, but when there are reds/oranges in an image, I still find myself switching between the custom profile, adobe's standard and some of the other presets in LR because it "seems" off.

Dave
Looked at it 5 seconds. At small size the still life textile colors look better; the rez qualityof the  645 is much greater, but on the small size image the colors looked better at first glance. But these are Jpegs ...

Feel free to disagree with my point of view. I'm really not a great fan of the 5D2, I have a 50/1.8 on mine and usually it is ... my travel compact.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:19:56 pm by dchew »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:51 am »

I got these different profiles and found myself switching back&fort all the time. The problem always is the reds, oranges and skin tone. Luckily, the 5D2 is much better than 5D in this respect.
Eduardo

There's two things I see:
1.  The Canon is a bit cooler with a more magenta cast.  I think that might show off the textile colors better to some eyes (mine included).

2.  I you concentrate on the red ring in the top left circle design of the center panel, the red color is brighter, but less saturated in the 5DII image.  I don't know which is "better," but they certainly are different.

Like others I can't open the 645D image because of the $ bill warning, so I can't compare RGB or Lab values.
I shoot with a 5DII, and in certain images the reds and oranges are just weird.  I have profiled my 5DII, but when there are reds/oranges in an image, I still find myself switching between the custom profile, adobe's standard and some of the other presets in LR because it "seems" off.

Dave

BJNY

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »

Guillermo

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 08:12:49 am »

Nothing rumoured about it. It's coming. Sure hope it's good! (And not $4000).

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Radu Arama

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 10:42:45 am »

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I have an interest in Pentax 645D and tried to follow as much information about it as possible. The new lens will be announced next week (but available quite a bit latter) and will have AW (all weather) finish, SDM motor, ABC (Aero Bright Coatings) and the (list) price is rumored to be between 3 and 3.5 K USD.

Radu

tsjanik

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 11:01:42 am »

...........(list) price is rumored to be between 3 and 3.5 K USD.

Radu

Consistent with what I've read, approx 300,000 yen.  If you want a shock, see the lens prices at Yodobashi.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category/index.html?word=FA+645&cate=&searchbtn=true
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up