Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting my MF slides  (Read 2184 times)

jools230575

• Julian Elliott Photography
Mounting my MF slides
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:31:13 am »

Hi folks

I've just got back a batch of my Hassie slides but still in the complete roll.

Can I ask, what do people suggest as:

1) To mount them in, and
2) What is the best way to cut each slide out?

Thanks all!

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Mounting my MF slides
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:50:26 am »

When I used to do this with my E6 transparencies I used the card, folding, self-adhesive mounts for 6x6. They were all you could get back then and I don't know what is available now.

The card mounts were OK for short-term use - sending stuff off to publishers and so on - but now I find that the adhesive has given up and they are all coming apart. So they are not much use for archival storage.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

markgoble

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:20 pm »

You may want to check out  BAIR mounts from INKJETART.com. I have 6x7s from 1994 in Bair Mounts that are in perfect shape, it's importent to use a small roller when sticking the mounts together and to put the film in a archival sleeve before mounting. I think I got the roller from the same company.

I used sharp scissors to cut my film.

Mark

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27:14 am »

Depending on what use(s) you have for your film, I've always left my 120/220 film on the rol, in the sleeve until I needed to scan or whatever.  Even printing can be done without separating the images.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:38 am »

I left many of mine in the orginal sleeve but the whole roll rolled up.  It stay rolled up in that condition when I went to scan it years later so that was  a bad idea.  Others were cut in groups of three or four.  They remained flat as they were stored flat in that condition to begin with.  I'd cut them so they stay flat when you need them to scan or wet print later.

ced

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:43:58 am »

Rolled up is not a good idea.  I would cut them in 3's and leave them in the sleeve and filed flat but it is quite important the quality of the sleeve, not paper and not cellophane either.
There are some plastic matte type sleeves (very thin) that keep humidity to a minimum.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:44:25 am »

When I did my Hassy slides I cut each individual slide and mounted them in Gepe Slide Mounts (with glass).

Then placed them in a 8 1/2 x11  sleeve that held 12 of them.  I have them in a file cabinet (hanging not stacked on top of each other).  They are still looking good.  (started in 1999).

You can then remove each one individually if you want to scan them or whatever. (these gepe mounts do come apart without damage, if you are carefull.

I tried the cardboard mounts (especially for 4x5) and they are ok but no cover for film (would need to put in a plastic sleeve for protection).

Very time consuming process, but worth it in the end

vandevanterSH

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »

Hi folks

I've just got back a batch of my Hassie slides but still in the complete roll.

Can I ask, what do people suggest as:

1) To mount them in, and
2) What is the best way to cut each slide out?

Thanks all!

I used to use a Geppe system with glass mounts.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=geppe&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

In the "digital age" mounting slides make no sense, IMO.  The better option is flat storage for later scanning.  For example: http://www.printfile.com/120-negative-pages.aspx....I use the three across for 120 negs or slides

Steve

jools230575

• Julian Elliott Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:10:22 am »

Thanks everyone.

The film that I am using is both Velvia 50 and Provia 100. One of the UK's favourite landscapers told me about SECOL sleeves. I have seen the GEPE mounts but wasn't sure about them.

My usage of them will be to:

1) keep them as clean as possible
2) to have the best exposures scanned at some point
3) to print off my best ones

If the GEPE mounts are used, does the slide have to be removed from the mount to be scanned or printed?

Thanks

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:34:40 am »

Jools

The only sensible reason for mounting individual slides is because you are going to project them onto a screen. If you are not, then simply sleeve them in threes or fours as you would negatives.

I had to mount them because I was sending off individual frames to publishers. Nowadays, we would just scan the frame and send off a TIFF.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

vandevanterSH

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »

If the GEPE mounts are used, does the slide have to be removed from the mount to be scanned or printed?
Not necessarily but if left in the mount it adds another optical interface and likely further degradation of the scanned image.   Removal from the mounts can increase the potential for damage to the film and at least for home scanning, dealing with a single frame is a PITA.  My suggestion for cost effective use of 120 film in 2011 is to home/commercial lab develop B&W, commercial lab develop color and home scan with an Epson flat bed.  The small number of exceptional images should be sent out for high quality (expensive) drum scan.  If cost isn't a consideration then get a Hasselblad/Imacon X5 scanner.

Steve

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »

I agree, the primary reason I mounted is because I used a slide projector to show images-at least until good quality scanners (Nikon etc.) were available.

Today with digital  you store the Raw file on a hard drive an make copies for printing and viewing etc.

With film your slide is actually the raw file equivelant and will need to be safely stored.  It would be important to establish an organized system so that the master slide has a reference number for organization.

with the Gepe system (not sure you would want to go to this much trouble for a slide you are going to scan)  I placed twelve slides in a plastic sleeve.  I numbered each sleeve and  added the number 1-12 of the slides in the sleeve.   so for sleeve #1 and slide twelve the slide number would be S0112  (slide-sleeve one-slide #12)

variations I made (i.e. 16x20 or other sizes etc) would then add to the title  i.e.  s011216x20

I then kept track of my slides on various  data base programs for photography  i.e. proslide, Imedia- but now lightroom could to the same thing much more efficiently.

Good luck with your efforts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up