Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie posters!  (Read 4545 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Movie posters!
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:11:18 pm »

A recent movie poster became immediately one of my favorite movie posters of all time. The poster for A Single Man. Powerful vintage photography, and Colin Firth and Julianne Moore (and the photographer) tell a story right there in one single frame. I know nothing about the movie, and am afraid to watch it as it possibly can't meet my expectations.

Let's see your favorite movie poster!

Rob C

Re: Movie posters!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

I would feel obliged to say The Man with the Golden Arm, but have no posters to post.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:57:40 pm »

feppe

Part of the problem with your thread (for me) is that I haven't been to the movies since the first showings of Thunderball! We did subscribe to Sky Movies for a few years, but we gave up on that when we realised that not a lot grabbed our attention spans for long. You can watch only so many special effects before you take them for granted and cease to be impressed. (Just like plastic tits. Visually, I mean; I've only been with real people.) Matrix (1) was great, but after that, the sequels were just more of the same wizardry and failed me. I suspect they even bored the folks making them.

In fact, I have come to the conclusion that for visual inspiration, some of the best comes from documentary films. Nature stuff and historical, too, shows the talents of the ciné crowd when it comes down to landscape, townscape and almost anything, including people. It's like a superior eye was stalking the land. Far more impressed with that than by amost anything on paper that comes to mind, excluding of course, Hans Feurer.

So there's the difficulty (for me) thinking about movie posters - they pass me by. Also, there aren't many movie houses in these parts; the best you get are video rentals shops.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »

Rob, I watch around 200 movies a year (used to watch 300 when that could be considered industry research). While the classics are always good, there isn't going to be any more of those - and there's only so many times one can watch North by Northwest or The Maltese Falcon. Matrix was seminal in the action genre, sequels not so much. Its biggest contribution was in showing that our only limitation these days is our imagination - in addition to one of the best shootouts in movie history. Just like elsewhere, 99% of everything is shit; and to be a movie buff one has to learn to appreciate even the stinkers.

I also like documentaries, BBC's Earth set is an excellent recent one, and Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi/Naqoyqatsi trilogy is visually stunning, although they can be only loosely considered documentaries. One of the best ones I've ever seen is The Great Dance (click on films, then The Great Dance), about the khoisan people in southern Africa. It shows these "primitive" hunter-gatherers who don't rely on religion or beliefs to guide them in their hunt; they are scientists, and were so thousands of years before the word was even invented. The camerawork won some awards, and for a reason.

Despite the common laments on the internets, there have been exceptional fictional movies in the last few years. Skipping the obvious Oscar winners, three of my favorite movies from last ten years are Michael Mann's moody Collateral, the intense Training Day (well, Mr Washington did get an Oscar for his almost-over-the-top performance) and stunning Hero. First two have limited special effects, certainly less than Thunderball, while Hero uses mostly wirework - and in all three special effects are in service of the story and plot, not the driver.

Mann creates the strongest atmosphere and has the best pacing of any director, and Collateral is his strongest work after Heat. There's this one very brief scene with an odd visitor in downtown LA which is moving in its quiet beauty - and this is an action movie. Training Day in its insanity is a testament to the modern day - it is an updated Dirty Harry or Death Wish, capturing contemporary western societies' deepest fears - or more worryingly, perhaps hopes. Hero is directed by Zhang Yimou, who also directed Beijing Olympics opening ceremony, and the visuals and especially the use of color in the movie is something any photographer will appreciate. The underlying (and controversial) message of the movie dating back to when China was unified for the first time by Qin Dynasty is sent to modern Chinese as much as people outside China. There's plenty of female beauty as well for you!

And Play.com, Axelmusic.com and Amazon deliver all over Europe ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:41:24 pm by feppe »

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:52:08 am »

In fact, I have come to the conclusion that for visual inspiration, some of the best comes from documentary films.

Rob C
[/quote]

Rob

How about cookery?! Some of the best I have seen is by a guy called Chris Topliss who is the cameraman on most (all?) of the Rick Stein programmes. Every scene is wonderful.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:04:54 am »

In fact, I have come to the conclusion that for visual inspiration, some of the best comes from documentary films.

Rob C

Rob

How about cookery?! Some of the best I have seen is by a guy called Chris Topliss who is the cameraman on most (all?) of the Rick Stein programmes. Every scene is wonderful.

I’m sorry you mentioned Rick Stein: my wife and I watched all the ones we could, and of particular interest was the series on the canal trip they made from Atlantic to Med. She and I made many northish/southish trips across France, and I had long cherished the dream of exploring much further more widely. Sadly, it wasn’t to be: I’d had a heart attack and she felt those long drives were too much of a strain for me to take on (a second, milder one confirmed it for her) and she may have been right but I think, on that score (and most unusually), she was mistaken.

Now she’s passed away and I’m still here – so with the sense that I really don’t much care anymore if I do take on too much or not, I contacted the internet Rick Stein presence asking if I could buy videos of the tv show featuring the canals. That was months ago. I didn’t even get a reply, never mind the requested videos! So though I do appreciate the shows I can’t the man. Or should that be his staff?

But yes, the atmosphere in them was great. Another chap who worked tv miracles was the late Keith Floyd – he also did some great filming in France, and on one trip we hoped to spend the night at a place he’d featured but we never got there: discovered two damaged tyres from the latent damage we had sustained from a hole in the road in Spain two weeks earlier, and by the time we found a garage and had two new rubbers fitted, we had run out of daylight and patience, so we settled for a nearby hotel in the garage town.

One good thing I discovered about Spanish tv is that one or two channels show a lot of very good documentary films in the afternoons, and they are available in the original soundtrack too, as are many movies as well.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:06:33 am by Rob C »

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:56:40 am »

But yes, the atmosphere in them was great. Another chap who worked tv miracles was the late Keith Floyd – he also did some great filming in France,

Rob C

I know that Chris Topliss did work for Floyd too - he did a series here in South Africa and Topliss was the cameraman.

I am very sorry about your wife.
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 01:26:43 pm »

I know that Chris Topliss did work for Floyd too - he did a series here in South Africa and Topliss was the cameraman.

I am very sorry about your wife.
William

Thanks for the sentiment - this lousy weather and time of year brings it all back like it was last week, and not two years and two months ago. Guess some things are beyond healing - they just sit inside you and await their moments to twist the dagger a little more. I'm sure that's probably a mixed metaphor or something, but what the hell, you know what I mean.

Take care -

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up