Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kenko extension tubes?  (Read 3948 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
kenko extension tubes?
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

I would like to buy extension tubes for my macro lens. I would like to get closer to the subject... :)
Based on my research, the Kenko extension tubes seem to be the best ones (quality/price). Do know any alternatives? I would like to keep the communication between the camera and the lens... What are you thoughts?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: kenko extension tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

I would like to buy extension tubes for my macro lens. I would like to get closer to the subject... :)
Based on my research, the Kenko extension tubes seem to be the best ones (quality/price). Do know any alternatives? I would like to keep the communication between the camera and the lens... What are you thoughts?

What body and what lens??

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:42:39 pm »

For Nikon, these are the way to go and support auto focus (both mechanical and Silent-Wave) and the proper data connections, though your metadata won't indicate that the tubes were used. Metering will be just fine.

Though they work very well on the Nikon, there's usually some slop in the connection between the lens/tube/body and you may need to jiggle the set-up to make sure the connections make contact.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:47 am »

The Kenko set is probably the best bet. I have seen some cheaper ones advertised ( the name escapes me at the moment) but what the quality is like I don't know.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:57:38 am »

I have the Kenko set of 3 (12, 20, 36 mm) for A-mount (Konica-Minolta / Sony)
They work like a charm and feel very sturdy.

I also have a Rokinon 25 mm, which by the looks of it is also a Kenko, but with a different brand name on it.

They all maintain full automatic AF and aperture action, allthough AF is not really necessary (I do mainly MF on macro)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:15:25 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

alanscape

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:33:26 am »

I have a set of Vivitar that I used on my Nikon FM... they work fine on my D90/D300 but manual, of course. They cost about £10/$15 used.... l don't do macro anymore so...........

Arlen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »

My set of Kenko's have worked fine for years, and I do a lot of macro work. Canon system.

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:08:50 pm »

Will the use of Kenko extension tubes do away in any shape or form the requirement to buy a macro lens or will they just help macro lenses get closer? My lenses are limited to 20, 24, 28, 35 and 50mm nikkor lenses and I wouldn't mind doing a little macro work.

aduke

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »

Will the use of Kenko extension tubes do away in any shape or form the requirement to buy a macro lens or will they just help macro lenses get closer? My lenses are limited to 20, 24, 28, 35 and 50mm nikkor lenses and I wouldn't mind doing a little macro work.

The shortest Kenko extension tube is 12mm. With the 50mm lens, the working distance will be very small and your problem will be to light the subject, but the tube will work. I think that extension tubes work better with longer lenses. They can also be used with accessory closeup lenses and tele-converters. I, recently, stacked a 36mm extension tube, a 2x tele-converter and a 70mm lens just to see if it would focus. It did.

Alan

whvick

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »

I have one of the really cheap plastic sets from Adoram. They do work, but do not inspire confidence. But since I use them seldom it was worth the risk, and I put the extra money into a Sigma 150-500. ;)

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »

I have used them for wide angle shooting.  a 6mm tube would be perfect as at the widest settings on the zoom the focus point is on the front element.  However used at the most useable settings you can get quite impressive results
Pages: [1]   Go Up