Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best portfolio app for ipad  (Read 18836 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
best portfolio app for ipad
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:36:17 am »

I'm new to the ipad but and I am considering an app for showing images to potential clients.  Given the variety of apps available , if anyone can give their thoughts on the various choices it would be a great help.
Craig Lamson Photo

Gemmtech

Re: best portfolio app for ipad
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:05 am »

A little off topic, what made you buy the IPad?  What other products did you consider?  What all will you use your IPad for?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:39 am »

I'm new to the ipad but and I am considering an app for showing images to potential clients.  Given the variety of apps available , if anyone can give their thoughts on the various choices it would be a great help.

This doesnt really answer your question - but its a suggestion: If you have a well designed website you can cater to iPad users without the need for a dedicated app. Its possible nowadays to automatically direct traffic to your site that is incoming from mobile devices like ipads to a mobile site version - have a look at my own site on your ipad as an example. Browsing to it from a mobile device like an ipad will bounce you to my mobile site (provided you have your ipad set-up this way to prefer mobile sites).

The benefit of doing it this way over a dedicated app.. is: if I dont need have my own personal ipad with me and a potential client wants to see my work they can still see it from their own ipad (or computer or whatever).

Also means I am not having to worry about keeping my website up to date as well as my portfolio on my ipad.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:35 pm »

I have an iPad, and a portfolio web site, and I like to keep my portfolio in both places. For one thing, viewing my work on the iPad is a lot faster than relying on an internet connection in many places.

I don't know if it' "the best," but I have "Portfolio" for iPad, and it works pretty well. I can control the look of the splash page, have multiple galleries, and it's reasonably easy for a first time user to navigate. Note that creating galleries is MUCH EASIER if you use the Dropbox functionality with Portfolio. (That is, create a folder of photos on your computer. Name them whatever you want -- it's easier if they are numbered in the order you want to display them. Upload the folder to your Dropbox folder. On the iPad, in Portfolio, use the Load from Dropbox setting and choose the folder. This works a LOT better than going through iTunes and using photos in the native iPad photo app. I discovered this the hard way, of course.)

To answer the "why an iPad" question, it was given to me at work. (I know, that doesn't answer the question.) After the first couple weeks, I was having some second thoughts, but now after a couple of months I've found it very useful. Of course it's great for email and calendar use -- much easier than a tiny phone for responding to emails, for example. It fits in my camera bag, so I always have it with me. I can read or surf the web while waiting or at lunch, or I can check the weather for a shoot tomorrow, or check the sun and moon angles using The Photographer's Ephemeris app. We used the GPS and Google Maps app while traveling over the holidays, and I have used that app to check aerial views of potential photo subjects. I use Evernote and Dropbox to organize and update all my files and folders and anything I need to remember. I use Skype to talk to my daughter in France. I could, if I were so inclined, download about a million games, so if that's your thing, the iPad can apparently do a nice job with gaming.

I'm still trying to get Shutter Snitch and the Eye-Fi cards to work on the iPad. Our wi-fi at work doesn't have any open access, which for now makes it impossible, but there are several possible solutions that I need to try. That will let me send photos to the iPad during a shoot, so an art director or the subject can view them. That would be very useful for me.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »

A little off topic, what made you buy the IPad?  What other products did you consider?  What all will you use your IPad for?

Well, I wanted it :)

There are no other products in this class to consider now.  I'm a build you own pc guy  (and throw away pc laptops since my location work is mostly in dirty factories) but I have had macs.  I have an Evo 4g andriod phone. 

Really the current crop of andriod pads are not ready for prime time.  MAybe hte new andriod os will help but 2.2  sucks on the pads I tried.

Besides part of the reason I bought it was to preview my soon to come new website on the Ipad. 

Oh and the games are a heck of a lot of fun :)
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

This doesnt really answer your question - but its a suggestion: If you have a well designed website you can cater to iPad users without the need for a dedicated app. Its possible nowadays to automatically direct traffic to your site that is incoming from mobile devices like ipads to a mobile site version - have a look at my own site on your ipad as an example. Browsing to it from a mobile device like an ipad will bounce you to my mobile site (provided you have your ipad set-up this way to prefer mobile sites).

The benefit of doing it this way over a dedicated app.. is: if I dont need have my own personal ipad with me and a potential client wants to see my work they can still see it from their own ipad (or computer or whatever).

Also means I am not having to worry about keeping my website up to date as well as my portfolio on my ipad.

I got the Ipad in part to help me update my website and make it Ipad friendly.

I'm just thinking a adjustable for each presentation portfolio on the ipad mightt be cool.  Time will tell.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »

I have an iPad, and a portfolio web site, and I like to keep my portfolio in both places. For one thing, viewing my work on the iPad is a lot faster than relying on an internet connection in many places.

I don't know if it' "the best," but I have "Portfolio" for iPad, and it works pretty well. I can control the look of the splash page, have multiple galleries, and it's reasonably easy for a first time user to navigate. Note that creating galleries is MUCH EASIER if you use the Dropbox functionality with Portfolio. (That is, create a folder of photos on your computer. Name them whatever you want -- it's easier if they are numbered in the order you want to display them. Upload the folder to your Dropbox folder. On the iPad, in Portfolio, use the Load from Dropbox setting and choose the folder. This works a LOT better than going through iTunes and using photos in the native iPad photo app. I discovered this the hard way, of course.)

To answer the "why an iPad" question, it was given to me at work. (I know, that doesn't answer the question.) After the first couple weeks, I was having some second thoughts, but now after a couple of months I've found it very useful. Of course it's great for email and calendar use -- much easier than a tiny phone for responding to emails, for example. It fits in my camera bag, so I always have it with me. I can read or surf the web while waiting or at lunch, or I can check the weather for a shoot tomorrow, or check the sun and moon angles using The Photographer's Ephemeris app. We used the GPS and Google Maps app while traveling over the holidays, and I have used that app to check aerial views of potential photo subjects. I use Evernote and Dropbox to organize and update all my files and folders and anything I need to remember. I use Skype to talk to my daughter in France. I could, if I were so inclined, download about a million games, so if that's your thing, the iPad can apparently do a nice job with gaming.

I'm still trying to get Shutter Snitch and the Eye-Fi cards to work on the iPad. Our wi-fi at work doesn't have any open access, which for now makes it impossible, but there are several possible solutions that I need to try. That will let me send photos to the iPad during a shoot, so an art director or the subject can view them. That would be very useful for me.

Thank you, I'll give that app a peek.
Craig Lamson Photo

xavi

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:36:42 pm »

Hi everyone,

I saw this post and I have gone thru a lot of iPad portfolio apps. I found a lot of them lacking a lot of setup capability. I want to personalize my portfolio otherwise there is no use! :P
The best one I have used and am still using is Xtrafolio. You can customize almost everything.
Give their free LITE version a go, that's how I came across using them. I didn't want to invest again in a half working app, but this one did not disappoint! So I bought the full version right away. :D

Hope this helps
Xavi

keithshane

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:20 am »

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for some cools apps which can make my life as photographer easier. Seems like I am not alone here... In my experience of using iPad in last 3 months, I have figured there are tons of crap but nothing which can be counted as a descent portfolio or proof taking solution. I currently use an app named Sortshots. That is not specifically for the portfolios but it has got much more than what you need for these things.. of course you need to use it little differently. They have got EXIF/Metadata support which is great coz syncing is much easier with Lightroom and iPad. I though you might want to take a look at it in case that helps. I think that was 4.99$

Cheers

Keith
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:41:03 am by keithshane »

ctz

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:19:49 pm »

hello josh,
i'm interested in a similar mobile version for the site, yours looks great!
(not to mention your work! btw)
can you help me with a tip, is there a template, or something?

thanks in advance
Pages: [1]   Go Up