Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help tying up pa 271, spectraview and multiprofiler  (Read 2801 times)

BruceInfantino

Need help tying up pa 271, spectraview and multiprofiler
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:21 am »

Thanks for all help before hand...lcd's are new to me as well as these softwares. My prints were coming out lighter than the pa 271 w/spectraview standard luminance 140, srgb...Andrew said up the luminance a tad...well a tad is now up to 250 lum thru spectraview and I probably will need to go up more. Is this for lack of a better word 'normal' (yes I know there is no normal)

Now that I've installed multiprofiler I see it has what it calls a brightness slider measured in cd/m2 (lum) so would this be the prefered method to match my screen to my prints ? Also what effect would this have when sending files off for outside printing ? I realize these may be novice questions but in the past with crt's and ezcolor pro it was bang on right off...

Thanks again, Bruce

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Need help tying up pa 271, spectraview and multiprofiler
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:02:18 am »

What is the colour of the frame surrounding the image on your display? What kind of ambient lighting environment are you working in? I've never heard of needing so much display luminance. Are you sure you have Printer Color Management disabled (if it isn't your prints may be double color-managed and emerging too dark and off-color as a result)? From what I read, and based on my experience, using a gray surround for the image and working in a dimly lit room, display brightness should normally fall within in a range of 110~125 cd/m2. I'm using a PA271W as well with luminance at 110, and in my working environment it's quite correct.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BruceInfantino

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:38 am »

Yes I'm in a dim room using an ottlite for viewing, gray background in pshop and disabled cm printer setting printing thru qimage, the same settings I've been using for 14 yrs and my prints are not too dark but lighter (losing color saturation)

also I'm using an i1 display 2 puck with the spectraview software

maybe I'll start from the beginning again
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:13:50 am by BruceInfantino »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:40 am »

Not knowing Q-Image, hard for me to pinpoint further what may be going wrong. Restarting sounds like a reasonable idea.

BruceInfantino

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:21 am »

qimage is a printing program, I've always gotten good color output to prints with it.....

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:11 am »

Yes, I know Q-Image is a printing program - I've just never used it so I don't know how it behaves and what "hookers" it may introduce to the process - if any, hence my reluctance to advise further on a workflow where that may be a factor. But that said, if you've had success for so many years with exactly the same workflow and suddenly you buy a new display and things go haywire, that would tend to suggest there is something in the display profiling which didn't go right, so perhaps starting all from the beginning at the display end makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:18:19 am by Mark D Segal »

BruceInfantino

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:14:18 am »

yeppers

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:59:03 pm »

My prints were coming out lighter than the pa 271 w/spectraview standard luminance 140, srgb...Andrew said up the luminance a tad...well a tad is now up to 250 lum thru spectraview and I probably will need to go up more. Is this for lack of a better word 'normal' (yes I know there is no normal)

Too high! Can you adjust the print viewing conditions? The answer should be yes.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BruceInfantino

Re: Think I got it...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:53 am »

Ok, I started from zero, reset everything, cleaned printer heads, recalibrated to basic photo editing in spectraview (no luminance change) and tried something different in qimage. Where I used to use perceptual I tried relative colormetric, this produced more accurate blues and the red/pink in the sweater (digital dog test file) and ever so slightly darker than perceptual. I'm pretty happy with this now...as I start to make real world prints, I'll see if I need to tweak.... thanks for the responses everyone !

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up